Dynamic Blocks

Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 1 of 49 (1,012 Views)
Accepted Solution

Help with Angular-Dimension-Based Dynamic Door Block

1012 Views, 48 Replies
05-04-2012 05:49 AM

First off, sorry for posting yet another message requesting help with a dynamic door block.

I'm experimenting with redoing our dynamic door block, which currently uses a scaled arc and visiblity states to control the angle.  I recently read about making a dynamic door block using an angular dimension for the door swing, which automatically adjusts to the rotation of the door panel.  I've tried tackling this challenge from two different angles (terrible pun intended), but I ended up being stumped either way.

Method 1:  I move the width grip and everything works perfectly and smoothly until I change the door swing to anything but 90 degrees and then change the opening width.

Method 2:  I get everything working, but I require two separate grips: one for the door panel and one for the opening width.  I would love for them to be linked since they're changing by the same distance (just different angles).

I've attached the drawings below.  I plan on adding vertical and horizontal flips to the block after I get it working (assuming it can be done).

Thanks!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
System specs: AutoCAD 2015 64-bit SP1, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K, 16GB RAM, Crucial M4 SSD, AMD FirePro V4900, 2 Dell Monitors (2560x1600)
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 2 of 49 (1,006 Views)

Re: Help with Angular-Dimension-Based Dynamic Door Block

05-04-2012 06:30 AM in reply to: nrz13

(give me a minute. I'm drooling over the 16 gigs of RAM and 3 monitors)

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 3 of 49 (1,003 Views)

05-04-2012 06:39 AM in reply to: nrz13

A quick observation and starting point:

Remove the Rotate Parameter from the Stretch, ScaleDoorSwing, StretchDoorPanelWidth, and whatever other Actions it is associated with other than the Rotate Action.

You are inadvertantly moving the focal point of the Rotate Action and therefore getting these odd results.

I attached my Dynamic door.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 4 of 49 (1,001 Views)

05-04-2012 07:13 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles:

Thanks for the reply!  I tried doing as you suggested and removing the rotate parameter from the other actions and that didn't seem to work.  However, your block is almost exactly what I want mine to be, so I'll spend some time dissecting yours and rebuilding mine and will post back with my results.  I'm really tempted to just use your block, but then I wouldn't have learned anything.  It may be a few days before I post back because I just got handed some work to do.

Regarding the computer setup:  we just got these new Polywell computers a few months ago after a 7 year lapse in upgrades (good riddance Pentium 4!).  They're literally half the price of a comparably-spec'd. Dell.  We customized the case and a few other spec's that aren't configurable on the website and they were really nice to work with.  The AMD graphics card is awesome because it let me plug in an old monitor to my existing dual-monitor setup for a total of 3 monitors on one card.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
System specs: AutoCAD 2015 64-bit SP1, Windows 7 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i7-2600K, 16GB RAM, Crucial M4 SSD, AMD FirePro V4900, 2 Dell Monitors (2560x1600)
*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 5 of 49 (999 Views)

05-04-2012 07:27 AM in reply to: nrz13

I'm going on 8 years.

Thanks for the link.

Would it be possible to get the specs to what you all got?

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 6 of 49 (997 Views)

05-04-2012 07:31 AM in reply to: nrz13

Then delete and go back and add the Rotate Parameter and Action.

I've attached yours that I changed. Does this work as you need or am I missing something?

Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 7 of 49 (995 Views)

05-04-2012 07:37 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Polywell order quote is attached below.

Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 8 of 49 (993 Views)

05-04-2012 07:39 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

The block of mine that you modified still does not work on my end.

I exploded a copy of it so you could see what I am seeing, in case the block is behaving differently across our systems.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 9 of 49 (988 Views)

05-04-2012 10:35 AM in reply to: nrz13

Thanks for the quote.

I've been messing with yours and mine for the last half hour and can't figure out even what I did.

Gone for the weekend but will try to give it a go next week unless someone else gets our minds right.

Distinguished Mentor
nrz13
Message 10 of 49 (986 Views)

05-04-2012 10:51 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks!  I might take it home this weekend because it has been driving me nuts not being able to solve it, especially when I can see from your block that it is actually possible to do.

I wonder, did you create it with a different version of AutoCAD?  I'm using 2012.  It seems unlikely, but I know the block editor has had changes made to it over the releases, so maybe 2012 interprets actions differently enough so that creating the correct sequence is no longer possible?

I also notice that my default door position is open 90 degrees while yours is 45 degrees.  I wouldn't think that would make a difference because they can both be set to any angle, but it is something that is different between our blocks.  Also, my angle is set backwards from yours (when mine is open 45 degrees yours is open 135 degrees for the same door position).

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community