Did you mean: 

Fields, Object, Attribute Value

50 REPLIES 50
SOLVED
Message 1 of 51
Charles_Shade
16144 Views, 50 Replies

Fields, Object, Attribute Value

In the attached I am looking to have the Fields updated by the Value in the Attribute.

All other Object choices for an Attribute will populate the Field except Value.

Limitation or am I missing something?

50 REPLIES 50
Message 2 of 51
truss_85
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I tried that thing before but I could not found a solution.

In same block you can only have att's default value.

But diferent blocks or in dwg it is possible.

Maybe something different helps. Take a look attached file.

I do it only A and 1 if you like you can do it.

Regards...

Message 3 of 51
Charles_Shade
in reply to: truss_85

Interesting that they cannot be in the same block.

How about nested? Tried that?

I do like the table idea. Would be a good way to keep up with Section and Page numbers but you would have to tie each instance of the callout to the table separately. Although if I understood Sheet Sets that is likely the same idea.

Message 4 of 51
truss_85
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Unfortunately like that way. I tried almost everthing to get a tag's value but not working to my problem.

But I think I could found something to your problem

I think something accesable in properties window solve your problem.

There it is in the attach. But you can give only numbers in here.

Take a look and enjoy...

Message 5 of 51

Do not assign a Value to the Attrib when you create it.

It must be left blank and filled when the DynBlk is inserted.

he Field asking for the Attrib Value will then populate and update normally.

Message 6 of 51

i'm confused by this:

"Do not assign a Value to the Attrib when you create it."

i don't see any "Value" field during creation...

There is a place for a Value(Default) for the Attrib and typically when creating an Attrib a value is placed here that is the Default value of the Attrib.

If you place a Default value in this 2nd Field linked Attrib other than just the Field it will not update

Message 8 of 51

Just for completeness, it'd sure be nice to see the finished block.

🙂

Message 9 of 51

Message 10 of 51

Charles,

So I attempted to replicate what you did for the same exact purpose (section cuts).

Got it to work,  and then when I Wblocked it out, and then reinserted it as a block in a new drawing.  I lose the ability to update the "field" with the first attribute!

what's the secret?

(btw, thanks for figuring that out.  AWESOME!!!)

AutoCAD Architecture 2011
3d-Guru
Message 11 of 51

There cannot be any Default value in the Attrib.

This needs to be left blank when creating except for the Field being chosen.

Message 12 of 51

Charles... this is exactly (or nearly so) what I've been looking for in my post...

But how to get it to work in my case seems a mystery.

Can you assist?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Dynamic-Blocks/test-string-length-and-set-visibility-state/td-p/370122...

Message 13 of 51

I'm still stumped...

let me walk through what I did, and you can tell me if I messed up.

Create attribute 1 (not in block editor).  Tag and prompt filled with "value1", default left blank

Create attribute 2.  tag and prompt filled with "Field1", default, "inserted field, pointing at object of attribute 1, Value" it show ---- after.

Create block, select both attributes.

This should work right? or did I miss something?

3d-Guru
Message 14 of 51

I think i figured it out... As soon as I added dynamic elements into block, it started working...

3d-Guru
Message 15 of 51

And you should be adding your Attribs in the BE so they are part of the Block as well.

It is the Block Editor not the Dynamic Block Editor.

Glad you got it working.

Message 16 of 51

For sake of discussion...  Let's be clear about some terminology... A block inserted into the drawing is called a 'block reference'... when you are editing or building the block in 'bedit', you are editing or creating the 'block definition'...

to bucksurfboards... did you add the field pointing to 'Value' of an Attrubute Definition in the block editor?   If so, then... I think I still have an issue...

... mine started working after I added... or should I say added a second time the field... but ONLY after the block reference was inserted into the model. I had to add the field pointing to the attribute from the block reference. It seemed the adding of the field pointing to an attribute definition within the block editor either is not necessary. I am still experimenting with this.

one thing I am puzzled about though... Charles said "There cannot be any Default value in the Attrib. This needs to be left blank when creating except for the Field being chosen."  ... I am assuming that you mean that when editing the 'block definition' you need to place the field into the attribute definition's default value.

To get mine to work when actually used... I think I would have to have the block actually inserted in a dwg in our block library with the field in place on the block reference, then explode it on insert... but then it would have to be copied or inserted from our library when another is needed.

See mine attached...  

Message 17 of 51
Message 18 of 51

?  HUH

yes to what?

Message 19 of 51

mdhutch,

In the Block Editor, I added 2 attributes.  Value1 (which I left the value(defualt) blank.  Field1, which in the value, I pointed at Value1's value.  Saved the block.  updated the value of "value1" to anything I wanted, and supposedly, "Field1's value should automatically update.  IT DIDN'T.

Then I added a stretch parameter and action.  And boom, the block works as it's supposed to.  I can insert the block into a new drawing, and no more having to repoint the field to the orginal.

See added block.

(btw, thanks again Charlie!!!)

3d-Guru
Message 20 of 51

I see the drawing you attached is in 2010 format... are you using 2010, 11 or 12?

I am in 2013... more specifically AutoCAD MEP 2013...

Follow this proceedure very carefully:

1. Insert a fresh copy of "ValueFieldTest" block into the drawing.
  2. go directly to edit Value1 attribute value.
  3. do a regen.

Does Field1 update - yes or no?  - (please post back)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services