Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel Data Links/Data Extraction used for driving dynamic block dimensions?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
811 Views, 2 Replies

Excel Data Links/Data Extraction used for driving dynamic block dimensions?

I am trying to find out if I can drive dimensions in a dynamic block by using the Data Link functions in AutoCAD.  Is this possible?

My thinking is:

1) create a block (rectangle for discusson purposes)

2) Assign parameters in the block for height and width

3) Use the tools in ACAD to link the data to an Excel file that I can update in ACAD when the Excel file changes

That last part is obviously the most involved.  How do I do this?  The "Data Link Manager" or "Data Extraction Wizard?"

I have tried in vain for several hours now and can't make it work.  My thinking is that the data that is update-able between ACAD and Excel needs to be in a table.  Doesn't that table ("Block Table") get created in the Block Editor when I assign the constraint parameters?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

hey there fellow CAD person! i'm wondering if you have had any resolve with this issue of driving dims with table data? 

p.s. its good to see i'm not alone in my thinking

Message 3 of 3
jim3thornton
in reply to: Anonymous

Neeboy74 -

Are you try to change the dimension of your dynamic blocks by modifying the table that you have exported to excel?

... I used dataextraction in autocad to give me a tally of each dynamic block by name and each version based on this varied width and depth

I also want to list the area at times too

But this is all generated in autocad with the 8 step dataextraction... this allows you to expect to an excel file, but I don't know if you can modify the parameters in the excel spread sheet and modify these same blocks ...

I have not tried to push the information "upstream" ...

I do know you can insert an excel file and link it to a formatted table and then you can link cells within the table to other cells ... but I f do not know if you can link cell data to a parameter in a dynamic block in order to revise it ...

Interesting concept ...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services