Did you mean: 

Editing fields / creating new field categories

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Ycteris
604 Views, 5 Replies

Editing fields / creating new field categories

Greetings!

I'm brand new here so I'm not even sure if this is meant to be in this section (I apologise if not), but it seemed most apropriate for the problem at hand. I'm working in AutoCAD 2010 and I would like to make the process of creating 2D documentation easier and faster for myself and my collegues, but during the process I've hit a dead end.

I would like to use fiedds (or something simillar) to partly automate the creation of 2D documentation. We have sheets organized in a specific way and I would like to create a custom field for each of the categories (eg. drawing number, number of parts, designer...) that could be edited easily like the parameters or object properties can. Basically what I would like to do is create custom fields or some other object that can be edited from a list in AutoCAD and then automatically refreshed in text boxes. Is there a possibility to do something like that using fields or perhaps a different solution?

Thanks for all the ideas!

Luka

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
ojuris
in reply to: Ycteris

I think, You must try to use sheetsets

Juris

Message 3 of 6
Charles_Shade

Drawing Properties: DWGPROPS, Custom tab will give you a place to put many of those boiler plate items that can then be used in Fields.

Juris' suggestion is much more comprehensive though. I would suggest looking for Ellen Finkelstein Sheets Happen for a great starting tutorial.

Message 4 of 6
Ycteris
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks for the quick response!

DWGPROPS is exactly the thing I was looking for, but I'll check the tutorial to see if I might get an even better idea.

Thnx!

Message 5 of 6
Bob_Zurunkle

In addition to Charles' excellent idea, I use a field that reads the CTAB system variable and reports it on a sheet. You see, I name my layout tabs 1.0, 2.0 etc for sheet numbers, so it reports that in the title block as well as in any callouts on that sheet that refer to the same sheet. I also name the drawing file by the job number, and that gets reported in the titleblock. I also have another that reports a given viewport's scale. So you see there are lots of potential uses for fields. Just remember to also learn about the FIELDEVAL variable...

If you wish to explore sheet sets, which take the concept of field reporting to a higher level, search these forums for a treatise called Sheets Happen (by Heidi Hewett). Good luck!

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 6 of 6

I thought that was Ellen's!

Gotta get on that ginko biloba or whatever helps memory.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services