Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic block with wipeout and constraints

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Greek2Me
2090 Views, 4 Replies

Dynamic block with wipeout and constraints

I've created a dynamic block to show a complex architectural window with two visibility states, elevation and plan and then added a block table and dimensional constraints so that the user picks a size combination (say, 48x96) and a single click redraws both views, no matter which is state selected. It's working great, but I have one hitch...

Both views include a wipeout so that insertion into either a plan or elevation automatically hides the wall (in plan) or exterior treatment (in elevation) behind it.  (This saves much work reconnecting lines when the window is inevitably relocated.) Originally, I resized my window with a stretch parameter and the wipeout stretched right along with the window geometry. But since I'm now using the more advanced method to quickly assign specific dimensions the wipeout isn't cooperating.

I really don't want to resort to LISP or VBA.  While this wouldn't be a big deal to program, I need to accomplish this with a block in order to include it in a library that anybody could access. But apparently constraints can only be associated with lines, plines, arcs or circles, so the window is redrawn perfectly, but the wipeout remains unchanged.

So the short question is this; how do I get a rectangular wipeout within a dynamic block to match a rectangular shape that is driven by dimensional constraints which are selected from values pulled from a block table.  Simple, right? lol

Is anyone aware of a way to use dimensional constraints on something that isn't an entity, at least in the geometric sense? This would be an incredibly useful block if I can figure out this last feature.

Maranatha

RMc

"Always remember: nothing difficult is ever easy."
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Libbya
in reply to: Greek2Me

I could give a better answer if you posted the file and I could play with it directly.

Short of that, I would recommend adding linear parameters with stretch actions to the wipeout and having those controlled by the block properties table as well.  In fact, if I were making such a block, I would get rid of the constraints and use parameters and actions to control all of it as I have found them to be more reliable.

Message 3 of 5
Bob_Zurunkle

OP what release are you using? There was a known issue of wipeouts losing their grips if you have Sketchbook Designer for AutoCAD installed (the one that launches from within AutoCAD, not the stand-alone one). They have fixed that in more recent releases, but there were a few earlier ones that played havoc with existing dynamic blocks with wipeouts.

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 4 of 5
Greek2Me
in reply to: Libbya

It's kinda awkward, as the window design is proprietary, so I can't publish the block.  I'll see if I can whip up a "generic" form of it to illustrate what I'm trying to do and post it.  But thanks Libbya, your suggestion has already started me in a new direction.  I was erroneously thinking that I HAD to use constraints if I used a block table.  I'd vaguely heard that a table could be linked to a stretch parameter, but apparently forgotten where to access that option (properties).  Thanks for jogging my memory!

Not really sure the difference between lookup and the "new and improved" block tables.  Can you give me a 25 words or less comparison so I can chose wisely?

Bob:  This is full Acad, but I'm pretty sure the limitation is constraints to wipeouts.  When you go to attach it asks, "Select line, pline or arc segment", so a wipeout isn't even on the radar.  Wonder if they'll add it later?

"Always remember: nothing difficult is ever easy."
Message 5 of 5
Libbya

I also tend toward using lookups instead of a block properties table.  That might give you more specific control over what you want to do.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services