Did you mean: 

Dynamic array revisited

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
cve60069
772 Views, 12 Replies

Dynamic array revisited

hello

I have been trying to get my 2D parametric model to work and am having trouble with the array.

I attach the model.  When I alter the span in the properties palette, I want the array to follow.  I do not want the grip to show as I eventually want to program the dimensions externally.

I do not mind using AutoLisp or .net if I need to control the model using code.

Regards

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Charles_Shade
in reply to: cve60069

The Parameter Array is Chained; but to what?

What drives the Array Parameter? If you were using a Stretch Action and Parameter to create the spacing (which I think is span1) then the Array parameter could be chained to that to function as you seek.

My knowledge of Constraints is limited but something needs to make the Array Action act.

Post back link:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Dynamic-Blocks/Using-the-dynamic-array-function/m-p/4645389/highlight/...

Message 3 of 13
Charles_Shade

Let me ask this: Create what you want with just three simple objects.

Can you make two squares increase width between the two; then have a third square Array and fill the void?

Message 4 of 13
cve60069
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Dear all

I am not getting anywhere with this

My model, which I have uploaded had a grip when I saved it but now its gone so I attach another model.

I do not thing autoCAD is up to what I want to achieve.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards

Message 5 of 13
AcadAdamLT

Hi,

Made a quick example to show the princip of having the array chained to a stretch.

Don't know if it helps but might give some ideas..

Signature, sincerely... //Adam
AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 6 of 13
cve60069
in reply to: AcadAdamLT

Adam

Thanks for the example.

The model still has to be stretched by hand.  I want the array to move when I set the distance from the properties palette.

Regards

Daniel

Message 7 of 13
AcadAdamLT

Same principle but with a bpt to control the stretch instead of a grip.

AutoCad LT 2016
Give Kudos where credit is due, Mark "accepted as solution" if the post solved your question.
Message 8 of 13
cve60069

Adam

Many thanks for the example. I learnt a lot but I still have one small problem I cannot solve.

I attach my model and your example and two jpg's.  Sorry for the messy drawing; I have been trying to develop it in bits as I learn.

I have managed to get the section to work as you did but I need to pass the Distance1 parameter back to the user function k1. I had to delete span1 as it over constrained the model so the value n1(expression 2.jpg) was altered and will always equal 1.  I need to be able to calculate k1.  I altered your example 2 and have shown the problem in expression 1.jpg.

Am I able to pass the parameter, please?

Regards

Message 9 of 13
AcadAdamLT

I wish I couild be of more assistance but my knowledge in Constraints are limited to theoretically since I'm locked to Autocad LT.

Hopefully someone with experience of this can help you out...

Best of luck to you!

AutoCad LT 2016
Message 10 of 13
cadcoke5

I am grateful for botht he original poster, and for the informative replies, as they have helped me understand what is possible with dynamic blocks.  I am continuing to evaluate if I want to go to the expense of the full-blown AutoCAD.  However, my demo has expired, so I can no longer test out dynamic blocks. But, I do still have one unresolved issue that sounds like what the original poster is wanting to do.

Attached is a dynamic block that is made up of wall segments that connect together.  I made it using a demo of GstarCAD, but I know there are limitations to how it can do dynamic blocs.  That is why I am asking here, to evaluate if Acad LT, or  full AutoCAD will do what I want.

As seen in the attached drawing, I have a wall that is created by attaching panels of standard width.  It is nerly working, but I also need it to insert an odd-sized panel whenever it is needed to fill the space. So, I can stretch the wall to any increment, and the odd-sized panel (if needed) would become visitble and adjust to be the correct size.  I don't need you to do the drawing for me, rather I am simply asking if it is possible.

Thank you very much for your advice.

Joe Dunfee

Tags (2)
Message 11 of 13
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: cadcoke5

I couldn't get the dimension for the "Dynamic" part to follow after an array, don't really know why, the stretch should've moved the dimension forward after 36mm, but it won't for some reason. Anyways, I think this is something like what your trying to archieve. See Attached.

Edit: Yes, it's very much possible as shown in the attached file 🙂

AutoCad LT 2016
Message 12 of 13
cadcoke5

Thank you for that example. My ultimate goal is for this expanding wall, is for it to be made up entirely of blocks. Then, I can use a block count for a BOM.

The start, finish, and the 36" wide middle panels are simply plain blocks. It is the variable-sized one that is the challenge. I see that you simply put a line in.

I was hoping for a dynamic block for the variable sized one. So, it would be a nested dynamic block. It may be viable by using some sort of formula with the parameters.

A short time ago I realized that my prior trial with AutoCAD was with LT, not the full version. So I have just installed the full AutoCAD for a 30 day trial. I know that also has some parametric abilities that LT does not have.

I will report back when I have complete results. Thanks again for the effort.

Joe Dunfee
Message 13 of 13
AcadAdamLT
in reply to: cadcoke5

Use a blockparameter and an attribute, Linear dimension = 36 Attribute = 1, Linear Dimension 72 Attribute equals 2 and so on..

Then you can extract the value from the attribute within the block...

Just an idea.

AutoCad LT 2016

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services