Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
rambo111
1074 Views, 13 Replies

Dynamic Block

Hi there,

This problem has been causing my grief for days now. I need to create a dynamic block for a "Glass Panel" in a balustrade. I need to be able to insert it, in one corner and stretch it in another corner, to suit the staircase angle.

Ive created the block, but it isnt working correctly. Ive attached a drawing, with the left hand drawing a sketch of how it needs to be. The right  hand drawing is my dynamic block attempt. As can be seen, when the block is stretched between the 2 points, it doesnt follow the angle of the staircase correctly (Very slight run off)

Any ideas what im doing wrong ?

Thank you

nigel

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Bob_Zurunkle
in reply to: rambo111

Without looking at it, could you make a line on the defpoints layer that you'd align with the stringer (assuming the rails are parallel to it), and then use constraints to make the "glass panel" top and bottom edge parallel to that?

If by some odd chance my nattering was useful -- that's great, glad to help. But if it actually solved your issue, then please mark my solution as accepted 🙂
Message 3 of 14
Charles_Shade

Your block is fine. Screenshot is really, really zoomed in. I've offset your two lines (40 from the vertical, 50 from the sloped) and then Filleted.

You missed. Easy to do.

ScreenShot003.jpg

Message 4 of 14
jhough12

hello

I work with Nigel.

1st Bob, in our version of AutoCAd we do not have constraints (any way around this?)

2nd Charles, we are not sure what yur screen print is showing, could you possible send a CAD file explaining?

Thanks again

Jon

Message 5 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: jhough12

I believe that your dimension is showing 49 and not 50 because your Parameter is not where it needs to be.

Offset both of your "glass" lines 50 units at the bottom left and Fillet same.

Zoom in as much as possible. REGEN if you need and see.

You have the plan, no need for me to send one.

Message 6 of 14
jhough12
in reply to: Charles_Shade

thanks Charles, I zoomed and zoomed and finally found the point is slightly out, thanks.

Although this still doesnt solve the problem, the panel still runs out a few mm?

Message 7 of 14
Charles_Shade

Did you check both ends?

I just looked at the bottom.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.
Kudos + gladly accepted if you are feeling magnanimous

Message 8 of 14
jhough12

Yes Have checked both ends, any ideas?

Message 9 of 14
llorden4

The problem here is the Trig, you designed your block at a 32 degree stair angle but your example is a 27.36151655 degree stair angle.  The theory behind your block is sound, but since you don't have constraints your offsets can't adjust for the changing angle.  I don't see this being able to work without that capability, at least not with a variable angle option.

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
Message 10 of 14
arquimodem

I installed my AutoCad ( Revit Architecture Suite) 2008 on my new laptop running on Windows 7-ultimate. I work a lot with Dynamic blocks and the first thing I did was test the system for this compatibility. There was no problem.
It has now been installed for about 1 month but not used very actively.

I went back to it to check on a Dynamic block, and was immediately evicted and the FE was my reward.
Since then I have repaired Autocad twice, and checked that SP1 was installed, as well as the Image Hotfix I downloaded on advice from the forum in 2011.

After the two crashes I experienced today, I sent an automated reply in which I included the two error messages which appeared on my monitor.
I had sent a previous message a few days ago, but have received no comment.

Could it be that my 2008 problems are no longer of interest. If so, perhaps someone could confirm that?

At this time I am unable to continue to work as DB form a large part of my arsenal. The two messages read as follows:

1º.     Error loading Heidi module c:\program files\Autocad 2008\DRV\ mentalray9.hdi followed by
2º.     Fatal Error - unhandled delayload "acgsimage.dll - module not found. Exception at fdb3cacdh.

Thank you for your help. I sure need it.
Hans

Message 11 of 14
llorden4
in reply to: arquimodem

I don't think your post is relative to the area you are replying to so you may not got the replies you are hoping for.  But you are correct in assuming your version of 2008 is no longer supported.  I believe they only support up to two releases back, which places that at version 2011 as version 2013 is the current model in release.  Beyond that you're on your own for support unless you can find someone who has had the same issues and has found a solution.  It sounds like a graphic issue off the bat, if you haven't already, try updating your drivers.  Another option might be to run the program in XP compatibility mode instead of Windows 7 mode, that may resolve some issues.  Good luck.

Message 12 of 14
arquimodem
in reply to: llorden4

llorden4 - thank you very much for your  prompt reply.

I am sorry if I'm in the wrong place. I will try again in the Autocad general discussion area. I had run a search for dynamic blocks and this thread had been suggested to someone else by the moderators.

The program works perfectly in all other aspects. I can use existing Dynamic blocks and they all behave like they are supposed to. It is only if I wish to edit any old block, not necessarily a dynamic block and clock on the icon, Boooom! and off I go.

But I will try to see if I can run W7 in  XP mode.

I doubt it's the graphics drivers, the laptop is less than a month old, but I'll check that just in case.

Thank you again for your  help. Hans

Message 13 of 14
Charles_Shade

You may need to completely uninstall the product following this advice:

Autodesk Recommended Clean Install Procedure:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?linkID=9240817&id=2887771&siteID=123112

And then install in XP Mode.

Message 14 of 14
llorden4

We are currently experiencing issues with older drawings/blocks in 2013 and a solution that has been working for us is to purge all unused items from the drawing as well as all registered apps, followed by an Audit.  To do this type the commands

-PURGE

R

<enter>

N

-PURGE

A

<enter>

N

AUDIT

Y

Perhaps this will help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services