Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block Troubles: Lookup Tables and Visibility States

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jtanner231
1918 Views, 4 Replies

Dynamic Block Troubles: Lookup Tables and Visibility States

This is my first dynamic block, and I am trying to make a pipe elbow that is selectable for pipe diameter, arc angle of elbow, AND radius of elbow. I got the diameter and the arc angle just fine, but I can't figure out how to do the radius of the elbow. I used a lookup table for the diameter constraints and I used my visibility state for the angle, seeing as I couldn't find a way to accomodate arc angles with a lookup table. What I'm stuck on is the radius bit.

I need to be able to select the radius or the elbow as either 1.5x, 2x, or 2.5x the diameter of the pipe. So for example, if I have a twenty inch pipe diameter, I need to be able to set the centerline radius of the elbow as either 40, 50, or 30 and then have the outside and inside radii fit proportionally. So in the case of a 20 in diameter, I would need one block with one variation that has radii of 30, 40, and 50, another variation with radii 20, 30 and 40, and yet another variation with radii 40, 50, and 60. I could easily make a reverse lookup table to do this for a single size pipe, but in order to do it for each pipe diameter I would need to be able to cross reference the other lookup table to pull the diameter value, and then have the radii respond to that value.

Does anyone know if this is even possible? And if it is not possible, does anbody know how I could edit the arc angles with a lookup table instead of a visibility state? Because if I could do that I could use my visibility state to do the radii instead. My other options are to create a second and third dynamic block for each variation, or to add each individual radii variation to my lookup table. The latter of which I won't do because that is far too many options for a lookup table that already spans beyond the extents of my monitor. OR, if anybody knows any other way that I could accomplish all three of these tasks with a dynamic block, that would also be graciously accepted. 

Attached is the block as I have built it so far. 

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Charles_Shade
in reply to: jtanner231

I cannot do Constraints as I am using AutoCAD LT but wanted to respond so that you knew your query had been moved to the Dynamic Block Forum.

A Block Properties Table would allow you to categorize the various options and "shorten" the list so that is manegable in that you could choose one variable, then the next, then the next as needed.

Message 3 of 5
jtanner231

I also am using LT. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look into using a Block Properties Table. 

Message 4 of 5
jtanner231
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Ok so I am playing around with block properties tables. Is it possible to have a block properties table reference a lookup table? Because I don't want to have to go through the selection tree process for every single dimension involved in the designation of the block. It would be preferable to be able to choose an option already programmed into my lookup under a single reference than having to select what I was distances 1, 2, and 3 to be.

Message 5 of 5
Charles_Shade

Then that made sense that I could Show any Constraint options when I looked at your Block.

As to your qestion I am not sure but may be.

There have been somethings done that I did not think possible.

One of the best things about this Froum is throwing the gauntlet because someone comes along and proves you wrong.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services