Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block - Development assist/question

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
llorden4
428 Views, 4 Replies

Dynamic Block - Development assist/question

I'm having a devil of a time getting this dynamic block to work, I seem to be hitting boundaries/limitations of the software so perhaps someone has some suggestions to work around or try another approach.

In this file, I'm simply trying to create a dyamic conduit/pipe run with multiple start/end conditions and pipe thicknesses.  I want my insertiont point (which is working to my satisfaction) to be the on one side of the line and the end/adjustment point to be on the opposite end (which is not working as I desire).  It appears to me that there are dimensional & object parameters (length, horizontal, vertical, etc) and there are parameter sets (distance, stretch, move, copy) and these two parameters don't talk at all with each other.  For example, if I want my right side to constrain to the user adjustable point, the interface will not recognize the DISTANCE1 parameter as a valid selection to create a binding constraint.

My next headache is that once I add visibility options to my block, I lose the ability to adjust the width of my pipe from my lookup table.  The option still allows me to to select, but the action no longer updates.  I am attaching two versions of this block, one with and one without visibility states so you can see the behavior.

Am I just trying to do too much with this block or can you suggest a different approach?

Autodesk Inventor Certified Professional
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Charles_Shade
in reply to: llorden4

Parameter Sets and Parameters and Actions are different ways to go about adding Dynamic Properties to a block. It is up to you you to decide which to use. One by one or in a set.

Dynamic Block Adage: Start simple and build from there. Add your first Parameter and Action and make sure it works. Add another and mkae sure they both work. Add a Third and make sure all three work... ad nauseum.

As far as Dimenional and Parametric Contraints go I cannot help you but I would work from the KISS method and build as you need.

Wanting Parameters to be available across multiple Vis states you should use the same Parameters in each State. BVSHOW and BVHIDE are for this purpose. You may already have this done. A lot happening here.

Message 3 of 5
llorden4

I'm a big fan of the KISS method, no argument there, and your development process is exactly on par with mine...  one step at a time and verify it works.  I created the visibility states after I had all the constraints and parameters working as I liked (short of the user adjustment point which is not behaving dynamically with the pipe selection lookup menu like I want it to).  I created all the visibility states using the "Leave visibility of existing ojbects unchanged in new state" option and then trickled through each one selecting the items to make invisibile so what you see in the first file is exactly the same constraints you see in the second.  I've tried this in various stages of development and each time the dynamic behavior (dimensions, colinear, etc) constraints only partially function (width dimension no longer updates with lookup table values).

I don't suppose there's anyway to have a Polyline with a Width assigned to a variable?

Message 4 of 5
llorden4

Limited progress being made here, I solved the 2nd pick point issue.  I was using a Parameter & Action set to change the length of the run, but found that using a Horizontal Constraint Parameter under the Block Editor Constraint provided the desired result.  Took me a bit to figure out that I didn't have to assign an action to a constraint under this tab like I have to in the standard paramaters tab.  I'm beginning to see what you mean use one system or the other as they don't appear to cooperate with each other.

Now if I can just figure out how to assign a width to a polyline using a variable I'll be set I think.

Message 5 of 5
Charles_Shade

That may be programming outside of CAD like Lisp.

Again, beyond my own personal KB.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services