Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic Block Attributes not Updating

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
dbranton
2818 Views, 13 Replies

Dynamic Block Attributes not Updating

I've seen some similar issues, but none with the exact set of problems.

I've created a dynamic block with 4 levels of visibility and a series of attributes. 

The first visibility shows all visibility items, and the following three show visibility items only relevent to those specific visibility titles.  For example, Visibility 1 "complete" shows a complete assembly of a detail with all attributes, visibility displays one part of the detail assembly, visibility two shows another and so on.

In my attributes, there are 7 user defined values, all created and left with no defult entry.

I have a handfull of inivisible attributes that will populate based on the user input. 

For example I have a detail assembly for which the user will have to enter part numbers.  Once the part is inserted the user enters all input, stretched the dynamic block using the paramater grips as required, then uses data extraction to plot off the mass information.  Invisible attributes will take the user part number and the length of that part and apply them together in the same field, I.E. [0010524: 1325mm].

Now all the angular information works out just fine (attribute definition --> locked and preset --> insert field --> object --> measurement depending on what I'm looking for.

The only thing that isn't working properly is [attribute definition --> locked and preset --> insert field --> object --> value].  For some reason this is always ---, UNTIL, I switch a different block vilisibity, regen, and return to the primary block visibility.  It's very confusing.  Using regen on the primary does nothing, switching visibilities does nothing, only after switching visibilities to ANY of the other options and using regen will the primary visibility show the correct information.

Even more curious, if I switch to another visibiliy off the start, then enter all user info, then regen the information shows up just fine, it's only the primary that seems broken.

Any thoughts?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Charles_Shade
in reply to: dbranton

Welcome to the Autodesk Forums!

Nope, that is just a limitation of trying to populate an Attribute Field from another Attribute within a Dynamic Block.

A Dynamic Action has to occur for the cross-populating to work. The Vis state is a common way to do this.

Sounds like your Block is working just fine even though you did not want to hear that. 

Message 3 of 14
dbranton
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I've actually come up with a work around for that problem.  I was able to obtain a lisp routine that switched your visible state, I then simply added a regen command to it and used the same code to switch back.

My new problem is that when I update a block with fields, it sometimes breaks the link between the two somehow.

I made a slight modification to a part and saved it, now where the dynamic text (via attdef) should show a user assigned part number via attribute, the field displays ####.  I was able to fix the block by deleting and recreating the offending field, but none of my existing blocks will update from the ####.  If I use the updatefield command it does nothing, same with regen, redraw, regen all, saving and reopening...

any thoughts?

Message 4 of 14
Charles_Shade

Once the #### gets in there there is no clean way to clear it up.

Once you fix it try putting it into a clean drawing and not a Redefine.

I've found that when you change a Field Attrib and then do a Redefine it hose up what is already in there.

And then you cannot clean it up without the BE and redefining within the host drawing.

Message 5 of 14
dbranton

So if I understand you, what you suggest is opening a clean drawing and inserting everything into that one to see if it cleans up?

Message 6 of 14
Charles_Shade

Just to see if the #### stays away when the DynBlk is Inserted.

I had one do that to me yesterday when I added a Field Attrib to a Block and then needed to Redefine it in a Drawing where the Block was already placed. It was easy enough to delete each instance, Purge, and then Insert the updated DynBlk but on a bigger scale that would suck.

Message 7 of 14
dbranton

When I insert a new block it has all the correct information, but when I reinsert the originals into a new file it still come up with the ### marks. Totally sucks because I've been working on a project using these blocks primarily, which means if this block fails as it has, the whole file required a LOT of rework.
Message 8 of 14
Charles_Shade

RENAME all those bad blocks so that you are not dealng with them and then PURGE the definition of the one you need to update. (I'm assuming that the first Block definition is left after the RENAME.)

If the bad one is in the Cannot Purge column use QSELECT to find it and Erase all instances of it and then try the PURGE.

Then (fingers crossed) this may work for you:

http://www.ellenfinkelstein.com/acadblog/replace-one-block-with-another/

The Block is loosing it connection to something and findng it is the issue.

Can you post the Block?

Message 9 of 14
dbranton

Regardless of which way I do it, through blok replace or block=block, the block still comes in ####, plus each block has been adjusted via linear stretch so when they drop in they drop in as the original size which required just as much work.

As for the file, each time I try to attach one I get an error that says 'the contents of the attachment doensn't match it's file type'....

Message 10 of 14
Charles_Shade

Try zipping it. I think you have exhausted my knowledge at this point without the Block. (Well maybe with it too.)

And I am going to escalate this thread a bit concerning the Upload. That was supposed to have been fixed a couple days ago.

What internet browser are you using?

Message 11 of 14
dbranton

Lets see if this works

Message 12 of 14
Discussion_Admin

Is this the exact same file you were trying to attach earlier in the thread? Also what browser are you using?

Thanks
Discussion_Admin

Message 13 of 14
dbranton
in reply to: Discussion_Admin

Yes that is the same file, worked fine after ZIP.  Using Firefox.

Message 14 of 14
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services