Community
Dynamic Blocks Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference Between "Point" and "Base Point" In Parameters?

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Pointdump
7652 Views, 7 Replies

Difference Between "Point" and "Base Point" In Parameters?

What's the difference between the "Point" Parameter and the "Base Point" Parameter in the Block Authoring Parameter Pallet?

Base_Point.PNG

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Pointdump

Basepoint is used to specify a Point in the Block that will be used as the Insertion Point. Much as you can create a Block using WBLOCK and assign an Insertion Point, BASEPOINT is used in this way.

The POINT Parameter is nothing more than a place to generally attach Actions to. There are several Actions that can be assigned to a Point Parameter. MOVE and STRETCH roll off the Keyboard but there are other uses for this versatile Parameter.

One use that may elude some Dynamic Block enthusiasts has to do with Insertion Points. (This could be where some could get confused with the Basepoint Parameter, which as it states is the Basepoint, and is always.) Point Parameters can be added to a Dynamic block to give the illusion of multiple insertion points. Using CTRL on the Keyboard when inserting a Dynamic Block with Multiple Point Parameters will give the user the option to insert a Block from multiple positions. These do not override the Basepoint Parameter but rather complement it.

Message 3 of 8
Pointdump
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Thanks, Charles. That explains some problems I've been having with Dynamic Blocks.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 4 of 8
Charles_Shade
in reply to: Pointdump

You're welcome and feel free to post your troubled blocks if needed.

Everyone here is happy to take a look.

Message 5 of 8
Norrisc761
in reply to: Charles_Shade

Hi,

I am having some difficulty with a block I created, and I thought maybe you all could help. I've created a block used to lay out Cable Tray for IT drawings. I've put in the required stretch actions to dynamically change the width, but the insertion point is messed up. When I try to fix it the block elements go "wonky". I would like to have different insertion points for each "width2" linear parameter. Is this possible? Please see the attached file. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 6 of 8
ojuris
in reply to: Norrisc761

hi!

You can insert basepoint parameter where You need block insertion point and moving it with Your linear parameter where You need

Message 7 of 8
Norrisc761
in reply to: ojuris

That's great! I wonder why it didn't work for me. Oh well. Thanks!

Message 8 of 8

Can I use point to keep my attribute text in consistent placement when using a dynamic block in multiple locations? That is what I am looking for currently. A way to have my attribute text 'snap' to preset points on the block

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services