Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Constraint update if you please

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Charles_Shade
448 Views, 9 Replies

Constraint update if you please

The attached DynBlk needs to be Constrined. As an LT user I am unable to do so.

If you are interested in providing Constriants please take a look.

The Vis State - Rake Trim is the part in question.

If you rotate the block thru the range you will notice that the green line changes its relationship to the dark line.

I would like for it to remain 5-1/2" from the dark line. (Truth be told I would like for it to stretch to 7-1/4 and 9-1/4 as well but that's another day.)

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Message 3 of 10
steven-g
in reply to: Charles_Shade

I wish I could help with the constraints, but I'm through and through LT too, but here is a method that you could maybe adapt using LT. It does mean doing a bit of 'trig' but you only had about a dozen angles so that is doable. I also have used rotate parameters, because I couldn't find a way to get the angle from a polar parameter into a look up table. Anyway it's a starting point, when I get the chance I want to try and adapt it into your block (but you use that 'funny money'. Decimal angles to 8 places and then inches!!!! millimeters is so much easier for the math).

Just a couple of other 'would like to knows'

Is it the top grey line that is your base line and the green line that stretches to 5.5 inches?

Is it intentional that the left hand end of that same green line is moveable?

Message 4 of 10
Charles_Shade
in reply to: steven-g

The eight places is just for this block since it is easier to Copy and Paste when dealing with the slopes.

If I remember I found that doing less than that caused the block to be off slightly.

This is for a rake board down the gable of a house

The top grey line is the upper edge or slope of the roof

The magenta line is the bottom edge of the shingle mould.

The green line is the bottom edge of the rake board. Either a 1 x 6(5-1/2), 1 x 8(7-1/4), 1 x 10(9-1/4).

Yes the movement is intentional. Test the block with the Vis State Rake Trim active.

You will see another green line that can be Stretched vertically. Stretch this up to the slope green line and then drag the Polar left end of the slope green line to the end of the vertical Green line. This completes the Dog Leg trim block.

(That's a lot of stuff when you type it out.)

Nice work on the block. That needs to be saved a a great example of multiple Actions from one Grip.

Message 5 of 10
steven-g

Ok getting closer. I don't know if it can better than this in LT. There are a lot of grips to stretch about, and I needed to stretch lines beyond each other to stretch back to intersection points, but it looks like it is working, You will notice a stretch grip in the attachment close to the legs of the dog - this one adjusts your rake board width between 5.5 7.25 & 9.25 inches.

This threw up some really wierd variations to do with including parameters and not actions in various other actions. (lots of headaches and swearing, giving up and starting again) all in all good fun, thanks

Message 6 of 10
Charles_Shade
in reply to: steven-g

Why do you think I was looking for Constraints? Smiley Very Happy

I'll take a look shortly.

Message 7 of 10
rapidcad

Charles, here's a rough stab at it using constraints and construction geometry. It works some, but it is not very robust. You seem to get several edits and after certain edits are done it all goes wacky. I would have to dig in more on the constraints - they are difficult to master. Also, I bet this doesn't mirror well, none of my previous constraint DB's can handle a mirror parameter without imploding.

Right now I feel a weekend coming on!

Enjoy..

)

(

c[]

Ron

ADN CAD Developer/Operator
Message 8 of 10
Charles_Shade
in reply to: rapidcad

Thanks,

It is interesting to see what happens when other things are applied to the Block.

What you have done keeps the lines parallel at 5-1/2" but I need to figure out how to get the point Parameter Position and Stretch7 Action to go along with it.

Can of worms perhaps?

Message 9 of 10
rapidcad

Absolutely. If constraints in dynamic blocks worked as expected, we'd see them everywhere. As it is I have run across very few of them. I don't exactly know what you are after, but if stretch 7 was only intended to readjust the rafter edge to stop at the fascia (or before), perhaps one of these options would suffice?

Message 10 of 10
rapidcad
in reply to: rapidcad

Charles, I got to thinking about it some more, man we need to get you on full AutoCAD! What you are working on there really looks like the beginnings of a standard detail. If I were doing AEC work still (on AutoCAD), I'd be doing standard details like that and applying parametric constraints to create some flexible details that could be tailored to the job. In my previous line of work I had created a lot of dynamic blocks for structural details at the component and/or assembly level to stitch together standard details that could quickly be modified. Constraints came about just as the construction world hit the great recession, so I haven't worked on this combination - I've been concentrating on building material handling asset libraries. But if I was back in the AEC field, I'd be looking at constraints for the standard details at some level.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services