Did you mean: 

Add Lookup Properties Example

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Jason.Piercey
4022 Views, 12 Replies

Add Lookup Properties Example

Can anyone provide an example using Add Lookup Properties?  I can't seem to quite wrap my head around how this can be useful.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
steven-g
in reply to: Jason.Piercey

This is just a simple example, showing how you can add a couple of different parameters into a lookup to give a few fixed settings for a block

Message 3 of 13
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: steven-g

What you have shown are input properties, those I understand.  It is the lookup properties that I'm having a difficult time with.

Display Lookup Table > Add Properties > Add Lookup Properties (the second radio button at the bottom)

Some things I've noticed.

1. You can only add a lookup property if the lookup parameter being added does not have an action assigned.

2. Once you add the lookup property an action is assigned to the parameter.

3. When you display the lookup table for either parameter they appear identical. 

Thanks for the reply.

Message 4 of 13
Libbya

The gist is that it links more than one lookup parameter to the same table.  It becomes useful when you want two lookup grips to offer the same menu, e.g. a section line/callout block with the same options at both the head and the tail.

Message 5 of 13
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: Libbya

@Libbya wrote:

The gist is that it links more than one lookup parameter to the same table.  It becomes useful when you want two lookup grips to offer the same menu, e.g. a section line/callout block with the same options at both the head and the tail.

So it's purpose is strategic location of grips based upon geometry.  That's it?  I can see how that could be useful, but was hoping for more "wow-factor".

Thanks.

Message 6 of 13
Libbya

Sorry to disappoint.  That's the only use I've found.  For 'wow factor' I would recommend linking two lookup tables to the same parameter.  Lots of increased functionality there.  

Message 7 of 13
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: Libbya

@Libbya wrote:

Sorry to disappoint.  That's the only use I've found.    

No worries.  Like I say I can certainly make use of that.  I've often found myself unstatisfied with the position of a grip due to different visual states.

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 13
steven-g

Sorry, I think you mean something like this Lookups post 5 shows an example, and there is a link to a nice description of creating double lookups

Message 9 of 13
Jason.Piercey
in reply to: steven-g

I had to parse the link, but I can't view that attachment since I don't have an account over there (not particually interested in signing up to view an attachment but thanks anyway)

Message 10 of 13
draftorb

Another use...it allows me to give the same lookup property an infinte amount of names without have to create a new lookup up property table everytime.

Message 11 of 13
Libbya
in reply to: draftorb

Along those same lines, I have found that it is very useful in allowing you to have a field display a text value that is different from the lookup selection name.  Attached is a good example of what I mean.  The flooring type and ceiling type lookup tables display the full names for selection, but due to the added properties of the FT TEXT and CT TEXT lookup parameters, the field displays the abbreviation rather than the full text.

Message 12 of 13

@steven-g @Jason.Piercey Can we add multiple lookup values in a single time or import all the values in excel format?

Tags (1)
Message 13 of 13
hwalker

@pramod_mekhuri6313 No. You have to do them one by one. You can however do that in a block properties table

Howard Walker
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Left Handed and Proud

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services