Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2nd instance of dynamic block changes when 1st instance is modified

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
brian.wiley
1145 Views, 5 Replies

2nd instance of dynamic block changes when 1st instance is modified

I have created a dynamic block with geometric constraints & constraint parameters (see attached). It is used to represent a cable tray in which one end can be lengthened/shortened, and both ends can be cut at various degrees (i.e. 45°, 30°, etc...).

If I insert another instance of the block (or copy the existing one) and modify, it changes the other(s). I've created and used other dynamic blocks without issue, but this is the first block in which I have attempted to use constraint parameters. This leads me to believe it has something to do with the constraints.

I'd like to be able to insert multiple instances of this block and be able to modify them without affecting every other block in the drawing.

Any help is greatly apprectiated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
steven-g
in reply to: brian.wiley

I use Autocad LT so I can't really say anything about the constraints. But tried looking at the block, for me copies remain independant, if I insert a new block the grips have moved away from the end of the block to what appears to be the same position/length as the last adjusted block, and opening up in block editor the grips are no longer at the end of the geometery. It would appear as though somehow adjusting the block in model space has an effect on the block definition. It would be interesting to hear what happens for someone else with full autocad, by the way which version are you using. The new 2013 appears to have a lot of problems

Message 3 of 6

God I hope somebody has an answer.  I am plagued by the same thing.

Whats more, after this happens, the block DEFINITION in the drawing seems to be changed as well.  Using BEDIT I find that the definition looks like one of the disrutped blocks.

I did find the following:

• inserting the block once and then copying it results in this behavior.
  • inserting the block each time from the tool palette results in blocks that work fine.

I have narrowed this down to the fact that copying the block does not yeild multiple blocks with unique Anonymous Names.  They all have the same or no Anonymous Name.  Inserting from the tool palette results in each block having a unique Anonymous Name.

I also found that while using the position grip does screw them all up, flipping them (my block has a flip parameter) works as expected.  FURTHERMORE, flipping one of the copied blocks gives it a unique Anonymous Name and that block is then not affected by this issue.

Maddening.

I wish I had more to report.

Message 4 of 6

This issue came up in another thread in the last 6 months as well.

Fro the life of me I will not be able to remember what it was about to search for it but changing one instance of the Block modified the definition of the Block too.

Maddening is correct and I cannot remember if we found a solution.

I'll hunt around.

Message 5 of 6
steven-g
in reply to: Charles_Shade

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Dynamic-Blocks/Multiple-dynamic-blocks/td-p/3644624

It has come up several times, and if I remember correctly always when constraints are involved. It would be nice to have access to full autocad to dig a bit deeper.

Message 6 of 6
jpCADconsulting
in reply to: steven-g

I wound up recreating the block(s) using no constraints (not easy as I had to be very specific about stretching windows, etc.) but it worked.

Thanks for the tip about constraints.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost

”Tips

”Services