ways to automatically convert the lightweight and color of xref files

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ric_v_25
1426 Views, 8 Replies

ways to automatically convert the lightweight and color of xref files

Hi 

would like to ask you guys, if  there's a way to convert the layer and lineweight of xref files to set as background color,

As a mechanical Design Engineer. I constantly strugles with the layer used by architect to use as my background for mech plans. 

I currently use a revit project and the layers on archi plans are automatically converted to halftone when linking.

Is there also a command or function that do the same with autocad 2014? 

Thanks

RMV

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
3wood
in reply to: ric_v_25

Open the source file, change color, linetype, lineweight, etc of everything to ByLayer.

Xref the source file as your background, the in Layer Manager, change the color of xref layers to whatever you like.

Message 3 of 9
jggerth1
in reply to: 3wood

If you just want the on-screen display to be faded, use the XFADECTL setvar and set between 0 and 90.

If you are using a ctb to plot,  and you want the arch info faded, then as 3wood noted  you will need to reset the colors of the entiies/layers in the Xref to be bylayer and control the color of the Xref in the active plottable file using layer colors.

The SETBYLAYER command makes short work oif that task -- just open the Xref file for editing, and run that command.

Message 4 of 9
dmfrazier
in reply to: jggerth1

@jggerth1 wrote:

If you just want the on-screen display to be faded, use the XFADECTL setvar and set between 0 and 90.

I think you meant XDWGFADECTL. Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 9
jggerth1
in reply to: dmfrazier

You're right - Thanks for the correction.

Message 6 of 9
ric_v_25

thanks for the replies. 

I'm attaching the sample of what we usually do.

on the sample1sss. drawing  "A"- is the acceptable  plan set up.

what i did is I usually copy the fp of the acrhi plan sa paste it on my mech cad file. then select all elements and set it to the 1 layer then use it as my backround sometimes i block the entire fp. for easy update..

On drawing "B"- the archi plan is xref to my mech cad file.

this is much quicker than on Drawing A esp. when new set of arch plan arrives, the problem is, notice the linewieght of  archi. plan it is much thicker than our standard.

hope you can help me with this one.

thanks

Message 7 of 9
3wood

This is a typical use of xref between different disciplines.

My work flow is as below:

1. Open xref file, use CHZ20 (in attachment) to change color & lineweight to BYLAYER.

2. Save the file.

3. Open the master file, in Layer Properties Manager, change all layer color and lineweight as you wish.

4. When new architectual drawings arrive, run CHZ20 on it again, save file and reload xref in the master file.

You may need repeat Step 3 because the new file may contain new layers.

Remember set VISRETAIN to 1 in the master file so it keeps all layer property setting overwrties.

Step 1 - CHZ20 settings:

chz20_1.png

Step 3 - Change color and lineweight of all xref layers as you like.

chz20_2.png

Result:

chz20_3.png

Message 8 of 9
ric_v_25
in reply to: 3wood

Wow!! this works pretty awesome..

thanks 3Wood
Message 9 of 9
jggerth1

it's worth noting that the SETBYLAYER command in the later versions of AutoCAD will handle the coversion or properties to ByLayer without adding any 3rd party programs, and will also step into block defintions, resetting them to ByLayer properties as well.

Just type SETBYLAYER at a command prompt, and rock on.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost