Drafting Techniques

Distinguished Contributor
Kazo
Message 81 of 102 (95 Views)

Re: poor drafting

06-25-2006 01:14 PM in reply to: wakorb
Yes....well, actually I do empathise if this is how it works............
That's the PC world we now live in I'm afraid!!!
*Tim Decker
Message 82 of 102 (95 Views)

06-26-2006 06:19 AM in reply to: wakorb
Unfortunately, that the way it is here in America, many times employers have
no choice but to turn down a exceptional candidate for a lesser qualified
individual. There have been many lawsuits here because of this, and in some
places the Affirmative Action laws have been repealed to some degree or
another, but not the Federal ones.
numpty
Message 83 of 102 (95 Views)

06-26-2006 08:04 AM in reply to: wakorb
It's my opinion that drafting is changing. 3D models are giving the CAD operators more options than ever before. It would be interesting if some of you peeps would post examples of your work (minus the logos etc).
Kazo
Message 84 of 102 (95 Views)

06-26-2006 01:15 PM in reply to: wakorb
Thar's crazy stuff!

"Political Correctness" has a lot to answer for. It bends over so much to accommodate, (the minorities,) that it kills the 'rights' of others. We have similiar, but different, laws here, (in New Zealand.) It can be very frustrating!
*Igor Mironenko
Message 85 of 102 (95 Views)

06-26-2006 07:22 PM in reply to: wakorb
I was going to. But could not upload two pdf files to this group. If you are
still curios write to me directly

Igor.

--
To reply please use igor@iinet.net.au address
wrote in message news:5218621@discussion.autodesk.com...
It would be interesting if some of
you peeps would post examples of your work (minus the logos etc).
wakorb
Message 86 of 102 (95 Views)

09-21-2007 07:08 AM in reply to: wakorb
Well here it is almost 2008 and things still haven’t changed much. Perhaps Revit and other such programs may help with this. But if im correct a new problem of building models smart will be the new issue. Just frustrated and venting.
teiarch
Message 87 of 102 (95 Views)

09-21-2007 09:37 AM in reply to: wakorb
wak: Good things to be said about eternal optimism (which you seem to have along with infinite patience) but taken as a group, you will still find that there are the same percentages of good, mediochre, bad, and lazy users that there always have been.

One used to be able to separate the groups based on their lettering skills but the cadd program masks that with perfect lettering. This forces you to look for other clues such as spelling, composition, and content. Granted, these are more subtle indicators but they are indicators nonetheless.

IMO....
Distinguished Contributor mhr
mhr
Message 88 of 102 (95 Views)

09-23-2007 09:17 PM in reply to: wakorb
Interesting thread!

Drafters are are very much needed if used properly. The issues we have today were created from ignoring an ever growing problem. Back in the board days, it didn't take much to see the benefits of drafters. As CAD became slowly popular, drafters simply moved to the computer while the designers remained on the board. It still didn't take much to see that a drafter translating the sketches in to the computer was needed because the architects didn't have time to learn the computers. As things progressed, the up and coming architects knew CAD already and thus progressed to designing with CAD and just naturally did the drafting aspects as well. The whole idea of having a CAD designer and a CAD drafter was completely skipped and the benefits never considered. A real drafter should not be making design decisions, they should be creating working CAD plans. Their entire job should be focused on proper company standards as well as drafting standards. The should make sure all necessary dimensions are readable and that all notations are free of grammar errors. The should be focused on proper symbols, hatching, linetypes, lineweights, etc...

I disagree with whoever said a drafter should know how something is constructed. That is something created out of desperation and a company looking to eliminate people. A true drafter can do their true job pretty easily without knowing a lot construction methods. Yes, they should understand general construction and architecture, but overall their primary job shouldn't require heavy knowledge of any one discipline.

Basically, a drafter is supposed to lighten the load after the design process so the architect can focus on the next project. New projects bring in money, not having your leed architect spend 40 hours drafting out one project. What companies need to understand is how to properly function with this type of relationship. They would see their productivity skyrocket along with their profits.

Basically, we need to go back to how it was in the board days and apply it to the CAD days! It's not that difficult. With our high paced society, it's going to have to happen.
deke01
Message 89 of 102 (95 Views)

10-08-2007 03:33 PM in reply to: wakorb
A drafter, with a modicum of knowledge concerning the end user of the final output, should be able to produce effectively no matter what the discipline is that is being drafted.
teiarch
Message 90 of 102 (95 Views)

10-08-2007 03:59 PM in reply to: wakorb
mhr: I'll take credit for declaring that drafters should know something about what they're drafting, its purpose and how it might fit with other parts. I'll stick with that statement. You may not think it's important but then if I'm a designer, I expect my drafters to know how about basic materials and methods of assembly.

IMO, the fault lies in the marketing of Autocad and other computer aided cadd programs when some moron sales type starts inferring that cad will do all that stuff for you. Some people hear this and conclude that they don't have to know anything; they simply must learn where the ON switch is, when start and qutting times are and how long the lunch break is. These are cad operators.

Cad drafters use the program as you suggest; as a tool, much as they formerly used pencils triangles, tee squares, etc.

FWIW.....

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community