Community
AutoCAD Forum
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

circle tangent tangent radius no longer trims??

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
george
3059 Views, 9 Replies

circle tangent tangent radius no longer trims??

I have used the circle tangent tangent radius command tons in the past with no issues. for the last few versions it no longer works as it used to.  it used to work as follows: draw two lines, create a circle TTR, start trim command, select all three entities, trim the circle at the two lines and the lines at the remaining arch to end up with a line a tangent arch and another tangent line segment witch could them be turned into a poly line as all the end points were correctly lined up.  try it for yourselves, the lines and circle no longer trim as if they are not actualy intersecting. so what is it they actually are not because the TTR no longer works or is the trim command not working??

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
nestly2
in reply to: george

All versions (2011 thru 2014) still work fine here.  The only thing that comes to mind at the moment is the EDGEMODE variable, or perhaps a UCS out of plane issue.

Can you post a sample drawing with two lines and a circle that have been trimmed against each other.

Message 3 of 10
hmsilva

Sometimes happens when I'm working on objects very far from the origin (0,0,0), in these cases I use the command "fillet" with the option "radius", instead of the "circle" and then "trim"...

Henrique

EESignature

Message 4 of 10
george
in reply to: hmsilva

You may have something with the objects being far from 0,0.  However, it never used to be a problem. I often worked in drawings with huge coordinates working with survey drawings, so changing the 0,0 closer to objects isn't an option. does changing the limits maybe, or any thing else have any influence? Attached is a sample dwg. the middle large diameter circle trims fine the other two not so much. all created with the circle TTR command.

Message 5 of 10
jggerth1

I've gotten so used to the unreliability of trimming circles created with TTR, or trimmng _to_ the circles, that it just seems normal.  Most of my work is in State Plane, with coordinate value in the million/tens of millions, so I've always shrugged it off as rounding errors. I've used numerouse workarounds, either trying to BReak at an intersection, or dawing a line from center to perp on the other object. 

It would be nice if the thing worked as expected though...

Message 6 of 10
Kent1Cooper

I confess to wondering why you would draw Lines and a Circle in TTR fashion and then trim them into exactly the configuration that results from using the Fillet command instead.  Fillet is much less work, and never fails in the way you describe, in my experience -- is there some reason not to use it?

Kent Cooper, AIA
Message 7 of 10
nestly2
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

You're probably right with regards to TTR,  but the same situation arises when the arc/cirle is the existing object and a line is snapped tangent.

I'm glad I don't need to do work 80 million units from the origin. Smiley Surprised

Message 8 of 10
george
in reply to: nestly2

Message 9 of 10
jggerth1
in reply to: Kent1Cooper

@Kent1Cooper wrote:

I confess to wondering why you would draw Lines and a Circle in TTR fashion and then trim them into exactly the configuration that results from using the Fillet command instead.  Fillet is much less work, and never fails in the way you describe, in my experience -- is there some reason not to use it?

Well, one reason is that fillet doesn't work between plines and arcs, another is that I may not want to break one of the objects -- say connecting a conc sidewalk with a boardwalk.  I want a smooth transition, but certainy don't want them to become the same object.

Message 10 of 10
troma
in reply to: jggerth1

Typically I would use the FILLET command with the Trim option turned off for this.  At least that way you don't have to trim the circle.  But presumably you will want to trim one of the lines, and you will discover the same old problem persists here too; no trim point will be found most of the time.

(Most of my work is about 5,000,000 m from the origin.)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost