Drafting Techniques

jlbuilder
Message 1 of 23 (687 Views)

What am I doing wrong?

687 Views, 22 Replies
07-26-2011 05:17 PM

I annotate and dimension in paper space but when i go to put the drawing in a template the dimensions and annotations don't follow.

What am I getting senile?

*Expert Elite*
Message 2 of 23 (683 Views)

Re: What am I doing wrong?

07-26-2011 05:48 PM in reply to: jlbuilder

Have you checked the obvious, layers frozen or off.  You state "annotate and dimension" or do you mean annotation styles and dimension styles?  If annotate and dimension is what you want to do, do it in the actual template itself and avoid this problem.  Templates are usually used to pre-load styles, layers and such and there is no annotation or dimensioning in them.  HTH.

jlbuilder
Message 3 of 23 (677 Views)

07-26-2011 06:46 PM in reply to: azrdgldr

No way to get them to transfer?

jlbuilder
Message 4 of 23 (676 Views)

07-26-2011 06:50 PM in reply to: jlbuilder

I have already dimensioned and annotated my plan.  I just want to transfer the whole thing to one of the architectural templates that's listed in the drop down box.

*Expert Elite*
Message 5 of 23 (669 Views)

07-26-2011 08:11 PM in reply to: jlbuilder

Sorry but I don't think you grasp the concept of templates.  Templates are used to start a new drawing with pre-loaded layers, font styles, dimension styles and so on.  Are you confusing templates with borders or title sheets since you state "transfer the whole thing to one of the architectural templates that's listed in the drop down box"?  I don't get why you are doing this.

A template is a dwt file and I know you are aware that a drawing is a dwg file.  I think you need to provide more information than you are providing on what you want done or are trying to do.

If this is truly what you want done. Do this, open the Architectural dwt file and insert your plan drawing.  Now here comes your dilema.  Do you want this to be saved as a dwt file or a dwg file?  Refer to your help to see what you want done.

jlbuilder
Message 6 of 23 (665 Views)

07-26-2011 08:28 PM in reply to: azrdgldr

Actually and I'm sorry,I'm trying to put my plan on a title sheet. Here I'm having to dimension and annotate all over again.

drawing.jpg

*Expert Elite*
Message 7 of 23 (662 Views)

07-26-2011 08:37 PM in reply to: jlbuilder

Hmmmm.  Couple of ?'s.  Are you using Annotative text?  What version of AutoCAD are you using? I do see a couple of dimensions on your drawing but I do see the emptyness where dimensions might be missing.  If push comes to shove you may need to post your drawing(s) to see what truly is going on.

*Expert Elite*
Message 8 of 23 (659 Views)

07-26-2011 09:08 PM in reply to: jlbuilder

Look at how this drawing was set up.  Hopefully this will help you.  I can't tell what's wrong with your drawing unless I drive so to speak.  HTH

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 9 of 23 (641 Views)

07-27-2011 05:07 AM in reply to: azrdgldr

azrdglder - I think you are on track with a Layer being Off or Frozen in the Template title block.

OP - Can you highlite all the entities from your drawing, right click, Copy / Paste to the Template file that has the Title block you want?

And then type LAYER at the Command line and make sure all Layer are On and or Thawed?

And azrdglder is correct. You are going about this backward. You should start with File; New from the dropdown or QNEW from the Command line and start with a Template that has the Tile block you want to create your drawing. If you Copy / Paste your entites to this file and then Save As a Template it will be there for you to use the next time without having to recreate all your styles again.

DWT extention is available in the Files of Type dropdown at the bottom of the Save As window.

OP is using AutoCAD 2004. Annotative Dimensions and Text are not available. Correct?

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
*Expert Elite*
Message 10 of 23 (637 Views)

07-27-2011 05:26 AM in reply to: Charles_Shade

Charles, part of the confusion is also on my part.  Cause stupid Autodesk can not think of a new name for Sheet Set Templates.  The old schooler in me saw template and I defaulted to drawing templates and not Sheet Set templates.  You are so used to a certain terminology it takes a while to get used to new stuff.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Welcome to the new Autodesk Community!
If this is your first visit, click here to get started and make the most of the Community. Let us know what you think of the new experience in the Community Feedback Forum.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community