Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpurgeable Lintypes

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
JOKSTER543
1075 Views, 5 Replies

Unpurgeable Lintypes

I have several CAD files and blocks that have, over the past couple of months, been embedded with various linetypes that I cannot purge, delete, find, or even see in the drawing (picture attached). The issue is that no matter what line is copied, from a drawing file with these linetypes, into a new one, the unwanted lintypes will carry over. Therefore I cant just copy all my objects I want to salvage into a new file.

Is there any way in Autocad, without using 3rd party software, to delete these permanently? I know layers have the LAYDEL command which deletes layers even when they are used. I am wondering if there is somehing similar to that for Linetypes? I dont care if the drawings that use them, in turn have parts of them deleted. I have created all the blocks myself and know that they were never used (on purpose).

-Thanks

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I have tried doing the WBLOCK: ENTIRE DRAWING method but that did not work. Somehow the linetypes stuck through.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jggerth1
in reply to: JOKSTER543

post an example -- eg delete everything out of the drawing, lpurge as much as possible, and post the result.  There are a couple of different things that could be going on.

Message 3 of 6
JOKSTER543
in reply to: jggerth1

...For some reason it kept telling me "The contents of the attachment doesn't match its file type." and wont let me upload....

HOWEVER... I may have stumbled across a solution. this method posted by "rtaassociates" (4th one down) worked. I use a lot of dynamic blocks and was afraid that they would lose their functions. Luckily it's not the case, they all work like they are supposed to. Here's the method that worked.

I'm using ACAD 2014 (I would imagine this work with previous versions)

1) Purge all unwated items from the "bad" file (blocks/items that you want to keep/clean should be physically in the drawing)

2) Save as DXF

3) Close oringal (DWG)

4) Open DXF

5) Purge All (At this point the unwanted linetypes will show up on the "unpurgeable list" but they will purge when you hit purge all)

6) Save as DWG

7) Go back to doing whatever it is you have to do.

It looks like this method cleans the linetypes from the blocks as well, so for someone with a big library of blocks, this will clean them all at once. Unfortunetly.. they will all have to be resaved as individual block definitions. But at least they'll be "clean"

-Thanks

Message 4 of 6
Ajilal.Vijayan
Message 5 of 6
laurenPTFWL

Hey, Your instruction to save as DFX file and purge etc, did work, but it crashed my AutoCAD repeatedly. Is there any other way to do this? I am using 2017.

thanks, 

L

Message 6 of 6
dmfrazier
in reply to: laurenPTFWL

Try the RECOVER command.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost