Drafting Techniques

Drafting Techniques

jkroop
Message 1 of 4 (241 Views)

Text alignment with respect to objects

241 Views, 3 Replies
10-29-2012 06:01 AM

Hi!  My company recently switched from using Microstation to AutoCAD, and I haven't been able to find a quick way to select text at its center point, and align the text with the center of an object, be it a circle, a line, what have you.  In Microstation I used to snap to the center of the text, select the text, then snap to the center of the object I wanted the text to be centered to.  Is there anyway to do this in AutoCAD 2010?  My company is converting drawings from Microstation to AutoCAD, so I don't have time to create blocks or anything like that in theory.  I also am totally unfamiliar with LISPs, just so you know where I am knowledge-wise with CAD.  Consider me an advanced beginner user.  Thanks! 

Mentor
Janet2009
Message 2 of 4 (234 Views)

Re: Text alignment with respect to objects

10-29-2012 06:38 AM in reply to: jkroop

Q.  I haven't been able to find a quick way to select text at its center point

A. Use command TJUST and change your justification of your texts.

jkroop
Message 3 of 4 (229 Views)

10-29-2012 06:54 AM in reply to: Janet2009

Thanks for the reply, Janet!  It's not the actual text justification or the justification of the text that is my ultimate problem though.  After asking around at work I did find out that I didn't have my Insertion Object Snap on, so I've turned that on now. 

Now my problem is CAD isn't tracking when I do select a text element by its alignment node and try to line it up with another text element's node.  It's very bizarre, I never have a problem with objects!  It's just text elements.

Mentor
Janet2009
Message 4 of 4 (225 Views)

10-29-2012 06:59 AM in reply to: jkroop

To align with another text already rotated, you can you MATCHPROP command.

To align text with a line, there are autolisp that you can use, they are all over the net.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.