Drafting Techniques

*Darryl Collins
Message 1 of 19 (169 Views)

Perpendicular snap from line

169 Views, 18 Replies
02-11-2005 08:21 AM
I am wondering if it is possible to use the perpendicular snap somehow to draw one line perpendicular to a base line from a specific point. I am usually doing this when I lay out curves for a road. I know my pc or pt point and want my line to be perpendicular from this point. Any help will be appreciated. -- Dennis Rich D.T. Collins & Associates 1042 Mechem Drive Ruidoso, NM 88345 (505) 258-5272
*Dean Saadallah
Message 2 of 19 (169 Views)

Re: Perpendicular snap from line

02-11-2005 08:26 AM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
PERP is a TO selection option, not a FROM selection option: rotating your crosshairs to match the angle you want to start from using SNAPANG command and turning ORTHO on gives you the 90degree effect you seek instead. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Distinguished Contributor
Message 3 of 19 (169 Views)

02-11-2005 09:57 AM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
<>

hmmm... works fer me.

Draw a line at some squirrly angle, the draw a circle out away from it.

Then start a line, select perp, pick the first line, then CEN the circle. The result should be a line perpendicular from the first line through the center of the circle.
*Allen Jessup
Message 4 of 19 (169 Views)

02-11-2005 10:38 AM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
If you draw in this order the following will work. It does not use eh Perp snap. Draw the tangent coming into the curve. After drawing that line start the arc command. When is asks for start point. You will now be drawing an arc tangent to the line you just drew. After drawing the arc start a Line command. At start point hit enter. You will now be drawing a line tangent to the arc. The commands must follow one after the other. If you do anything in between you will not be able to pick up where you left off. If the line work is already created and want to create a line tangent to the PC or PT you can draw a line from the point to the center of the arc. Or you can use Grips with copy & rotate to rotate a copy of the tangent @ 90D. You could always buy LDD/Civil 3D. Commands to accomplish this and many other facets of road design are included. HTH Allen "Darryl Collins" wrote in message news:420cdb86_2@newsprd01... >I am wondering if it is possible to use the perpendicular snap somehow to >draw one line perpendicular to a base line from a specific point. I am >usually doing this when I lay out curves for a road. I know my pc or pt >point and want my line to be perpendicular from this point. Any help will >be appreciated. > > > -- > Dennis Rich > D.T. Collins & Associates > 1042 Mechem Drive > Ruidoso, NM 88345 > (505) 258-5272 >
Message 5 of 19 (169 Views)

02-11-2005 12:05 PM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
ditto
Valued Contributor
Message 6 of 19 (169 Views)

02-11-2005 02:00 PM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
I believe the OP has only the one line, no circle, and the line is at some odd angle. The OP wants to have a line start at the end point of that line and have it be perp to it.

I have the ucs, object set as a quick key like UO, then it is easy enough to do what is being asked. Same method Dean suggested.
*Dean Saadallah
Message 7 of 19 (169 Views)

02-12-2005 08:19 AM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
Re-read the OP for the specific instance, not a blanket tangent discussion on perp usage. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
*Randall Culp
Message 8 of 19 (169 Views)

02-14-2005 03:12 AM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
I was speaking to your comment that PERP was NOT a FROM option, which it clearly is. The OP wishes a double osnap, perp AND endp. I doubt that is possible in any case. "Dean Saadallah" wrote in message news:420e2c72_2@newsprd01... > Re-read the OP for the specific instance, not a blanket tangent discussion > on perp usage. > > -- > Dean Saadallah > Add-on products for LT > http://www.pendean.com/lt > -- > >
*Dean Saadallah
Message 9 of 19 (169 Views)

02-14-2005 05:43 AM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
>>>I doubt that is possible in any case...<<< Exactly my point, OP specific response :smileywink: -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Message 10 of 19 (169 Views)

02-14-2005 06:03 AM in reply to: *Darryl Collins
<<>>>I doubt that is possible in any case...<<<
Exactly my point, OP specific response :smileywink: >>

That may have been your point, but your statement that "PERP is not a FROM selection", was in error. The OP is requesting a double osnap (perp AND endp), which is not available for ANY combination of osnaps.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community