Drafting Techniques

jdavis4144
Message 1 of 21 (1,613 Views)
Accepted Solution

(Newby here) How do I mark a measured distance on a line?

1613 Views, 20 Replies
04-24-2012 02:05 PM

I just started using AutoCAD a couple of days ago so go easy on me, please.

Is there an easy way to to mark off a distance on a line? Like how you would use a tape measure on a 2x4 to measure out a certain length and then mark that distance with a pencil. Hopefully that makes sense. If not I'll add a pic.

Thanks.

Distinguished Contributor
jwjones1
Message 2 of 21 (1,607 Views)

Re: (Newby here) How do I mark a measured distance on a line?

04-24-2012 02:55 PM in reply to: jdavis4144

Have you tried the MEASURE command?  Also, if you just need to divide something into equal pieces, try the DIVIDE command.  Hope that helps =)

And we were all newbie once :smileywink:

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 3 of 21 (1,601 Views)

04-25-2012 05:08 AM in reply to: jdavis4144

LENGTHEN

Also, if you click the line and then hover over an end Grip you will have the option to Stretch or Lengthen the line.

Assuming that you are on a newer version of AutoCAD.

Please mark any response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
jdavis4144
Message 4 of 21 (1,595 Views)

04-25-2012 06:15 AM in reply to: jdavis4144

I tried the MEASURE command, but as far as I can tell I can't make a mark at the spot I'm measuring to. I'm using AC 2012 so I can stretch and lengthen. Maybe this pic will help.

*Expert Elite*
Charles_Shade
Message 5 of 21 (1,585 Views)

04-25-2012 06:58 AM in reply to: jdavis4144

You need to look into POINT, PDMODE, and Object Snap Tracking to make marks as you show.

I'm assuming that you are not looking to have the 10" Dimension? Just the mark.

OFFSET and Trim would be a long way to make that small mark

COPY of an entity that you want would be another way.

Regards, Charles Shade            Win8 FAQ
CSHADEDESIGN|AUTOCAD LT|LT-KB|DYNAMIC BLOCKS

Please mark Accept as Solution if your question is answered. Kudos gladly accepted.
jdavis4144
Message 6 of 21 (1,581 Views)

04-25-2012 07:38 AM in reply to: jdavis4144

I've read everything I can find about points. That's exactly what I need if only I could measure to the spot I want to put the point. While there is plenty of information on how to change the size (PDSIZE) and shape (PDMODE) of a point, I can't figure out a simple way to place one at a certain distance from another point. It will let me place a point where ever I put the cursor, but with no way to measure where I'm putting it, it's esentially just a random point in space.

I always have OSNAP on and it's great if I want to base something off an endpoint or midpoint.

So far I've been using OFFSET, TRIM, COPY, etc to get the dimensions I want, but that seems like a really long way around a VERY simple idea.

I give up. I honestly thought there would be any easy answer to this. It just seems to me, other than actually drawing a line, this would be the most basic function you would want in drafting.

Thanks anyway for the help!

jwjones1
Message 7 of 21 (1,578 Views)

04-25-2012 07:50 AM in reply to: jdavis4144

Hmmm... I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking for (maybe because I've only used AutoCAD and I don't know how to use CAD programs)...

If you want to make a mark a certain distance away from something, offset is generally how I do it.  Learning how to draw off of existing geometry is one of the first things I learned when using ACAD.  You can use the measure command and it will put points (default) or blocks (you have to tell it to do this) at the proscribed distances.  Divide is another good one.  Setting up an array isn't a bad way to go either if you just want to mark off so many ticks.

If you're trying to get ACAD to set up a "grid" for you to use, then turn your grid on (GRID) and snap spacing (SNAP).  That will limit where you can pick by the constraints of the snap spacing.  Is that what you're looking for?

jdavis4144
Message 8 of 21 (1,576 Views)

04-25-2012 08:24 AM in reply to: jwjones1

"You can use the measure command and it will put points (default) or blocks (you have to tell it to do this) at the proscribed distances"

This sounds like what I want to do. However I only want to mark one point at one distance. I simply want to measure a distance on a line, then somehow mark that distance so I can use that new mark/point as a reference. Is this possible? I haven't been able to do it with the measure command.

jwjones1
Message 9 of 21 (1,572 Views)

04-25-2012 08:49 AM in reply to: jdavis4144

I would do what Charles_Shade suggested and just offset a point.  Alternatively, using the image you had posted earlier, you could...

L

from

end

(snap to endpoint of line)

10<270 (starts a line 10 units at 270 degrees from the base point)

So, yeah, offset is generally easier =)

L

end

(snap to endpoint of line)

(pick another point perpendicular to line)

offset

(pick line)

If you set up a snap grid, you could set it up so that you could only move in 10 unit increments as well.  I personally almost never do this though I've seen it done on schematics before.

jwjones1
Message 10 of 21 (1,571 Views)

04-25-2012 08:51 AM in reply to: jwjones1

There are all sorts of ways to do a task in AutoCAD, you just have to figure out what is the best way for you.  It's also very customizable so you can always ask someone to help you write a small amount of code for a custom command as well.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community