Drafting Techniques

*jonesr
Message 1 of 16 (113 Views)

Mtext Width Factor

113 Views, 15 Replies
07-26-2004 08:29 AM
Anyone know of a way to change the width factor of MTEXT? For example, if the text style is defined with a 0.8 width factor and you create an MTEXT object but later you want to change it to have a width factor of 1.0, Can this be done without exploding the MTEXT object to TEXT?
*Dean Saadallah
Message 2 of 16 (113 Views)

Re: Mtext Width Factor

07-26-2004 09:19 AM in reply to: *jonesr
Redefine the STYLE, then in MTEXT reselect the STYLE being used. You might be able to do this with PROPERTIES command if your Mtext is setup to exclusively follow the STYLE settings being used. -- Dean Saadallah Add-on products for LT http://www.pendean.com/lt --
Distinguished Contributor
Message 3 of 16 (113 Views)

07-26-2004 09:45 AM in reply to: *jonesr
MTEXT will echo the width defined in the style, changing it there will be reflected in the drawing. If want to change just one instance o fMTEXT or just one word in a paragraph, use the \W modifier.
*jonesr
Message 4 of 16 (113 Views)

07-26-2004 09:55 AM in reply to: *jonesr
That's the idea I had in mind but I cannot find the control codes (\m) documented. Where can they be found? "OLD-CADaver" wrote in message news:32999571.1090860390101.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > MTEXT will echo the width defined in the style, changing it there will be reflected in the drawing. If want to change just one instance o fMTEXT or just one word in a paragraph, use the \W modifier.
*R.K. McSwain
Message 5 of 16 (113 Views)

07-26-2004 10:55 AM in reply to: *jonesr
"jonesr" wrote... > That's the idea I had in mind but I cannot find the control codes (\m) > documented. Where can they be found? In 2002, mk:@MSITStore:C:\LDD2002\Help\acad_aag.chm::/adev_04157.html Note: Replace the "C:\LDD2002" with *your* path - then paste the whole line in your IE (or windows explorer) address field and press
*jonesr
Message 6 of 16 (113 Views)

07-26-2004 11:34 AM in reply to: *jonesr
That's it. Thanks all. "R.K. McSwain" wrote in message news:4105451a$1_2@newsprd01... "jonesr" wrote... > That's the idea I had in mind but I cannot find the control codes (\m) > documented. Where can they be found? In 2002, mk:@MSITStore:C:\LDD2002\Help\acad_aag.chm::/adev_04157.html Note: Replace the "C:\LDD2002" with *your* path - then paste the whole line in your IE (or windows explorer) address field and press
Message 7 of 16 (113 Views)

07-26-2004 11:54 AM in reply to: *jonesr
Look in "HELP" in "AutoCAD User's Guide" under "Format multiline text in a text editor"

Use the following table to create a document with formatting codes.

\0...\o Turns overline on and off
\L...\l Turns underline on and off
\~ Inserts a nonbreaking space
\\ Inserts a backslash
\{...\} Inserts an opening and closing brace
\Cvalue; Changes to the specified color
\File name; Changes to the specified font file
\Hvalue; Changes to the text height specified in drawing units
\Hvaluex; Changes the text height to a multiple of the current text height
\S...^...; Stacks the subsequent text at the \, #, or ^ symbol
\Tvalue; Adjusts the space between characters, from .75 to 4 times
\Qangle; Changes obliquing angle
\Wvalue; Changes width factor to produce wide text
\A Sets the alignment value; valid values: 0, 1, 2 (bottom, center, top)
\P Ends paragraph Autodesk

Formatting codes along with text INSIDE "curly" brackets {} only that text receives coding, in the example below "WIDE TEXT" has a width factor of 2, the "normal width is defined in the style.

This is normal text, this is {\W2;WIDE TEXT}, this is back to normal.
*doug k
Message 8 of 16 (113 Views)

07-26-2004 12:27 PM in reply to: *jonesr
and all that cool formatting gets whacked by the first rookie that tries to edit it with the built-in. (just grumbling.......and warning a little) "OLD-CADaver" wrote in message news:32904701.1090868101189.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Look in "HELP" in "AutoCAD User's Guide" under "Format multiline text in a text editor"
Message 9 of 16 (113 Views)

07-26-2004 01:16 PM in reply to: *jonesr
<>

Works fine for us, we haven't had any trouble, unless the rookie changes the format code to something wrong.

But before he sits down, he gets a training session, and his editor is set to:

:lisped#C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/NOTEPAD

by default, so he'd have to go a long way to use the internal editor anyway.
*doug k
Message 10 of 16 (113 Views)

07-26-2004 01:55 PM in reply to: *jonesr
yikes, you guys use notepad ALL THE TIME for mtext? i'm too much of a wysiwyg kind of guy to work thru that. the built-in still has issues for wysiwyg, but is better than the alternative. i'm probably one of the few that likes (and utilizes) that transparency thing. i'm moving to mtext for just about everything and find the internal better suited for most of the work. i've tried wordpad/notepad and found it too cumbersome for things like background masking and not quite indicative enough of the final result, especially when working with mtext width values. true, these things are about the only way you can get that special formatting going on, but thankfully i don't need that too often. i have toolpac's mtext editor, which is about the same, and ill use it some (mostly on large bodies of notes), but even that fine product will only get the dust blown off it periodically. its nice in that it functions as an internal editor without replacing it. i get a choice, which is cool. "OLD-CADaver" wrote in message news:10609063.1090873032401.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > <> > > Works fine for us, we haven't had any trouble, unless the rookie changes the format code to something wrong. > > But before he sits down, he gets a training session, and his editor is set to: > > :lisped#C:/WINNT/SYSTEM32/NOTEPAD > > by default, so he'd have to go a long way to use the internal editor anyway.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community