Items with a common node cannot be moved individually

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
pdrenth
627 Views, 3 Replies

Items with a common node cannot be moved individually

Greets,

First post from a largely self-taught user who has been using AutoCAD since 2005. Be nice 😉

Using full AutoCAD 2011 on a Macbook Pro running bootcamp and Win7 64. 

When I draw an object with a common node or pick point (for instance I start a rectangle from the center point of a circle), these objects cannot be moved sperately or individually. If objects are created without a common point , they can be moved individually. It does not matter what the object is: cirlce, line, poyline, rectang, etc. They all behave the same way.

If objects which are created seperately  can be moved and edited individually. However, if these individual opjects are moved to a common node or pick point, they are now "joined" and cannot be moved individually. However, these objects can be manipulated by moving pick points; circles can be enlarged and lines extended etc. Also, if I draw line and then move it to the center of a circle and then move the circle, the unattached end of the line remains in the original place and the attached part of the line moves with the circle. 

Lastly, items can be deleted from each other if a common node is shared. 

This issue is persistient in both 2D and 3D environments. Also, I have recalled my user profile and the issue persists. I have also opened existing files that did not exhibit this issue when they were created, and this issue exists in these files as well. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

-Paul

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
dmfrazier
in reply to: pdrenth

The only thing that comes to mind is that "infer constraints" might have been turned on (?).  (Was that available in 2011?)

Message 3 of 4
pdrenth
in reply to: dmfrazier

Thanks so much! That seems to have solved it.

Sheesh. There goes half a day that I'll never get back... I feel like a dip stick...
Message 4 of 4
dmfrazier
in reply to: pdrenth

A few users in my company have turned that on, which is very easy to do accidentally when the toggle is showing on the status line (the default, I think).  If you don't use the feature, it's probably best to turn off the status toggle.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost