DesignScript

Gytaco
Message 1 of 4 (225 Views)

Change Naming Conventions - Floor,Ceiling

225 Views, 3 Replies
10-16-2012 09:15 PM

Hey Guys

I knwo this is early days so hopefully things like this can change without too much issue.

I really think "Floor" & "Ceiling" are not good keynames in the context of design scripting.

Many Many times are people going to use this tool to define floors and ceilings and this use of terminology could confuse.

Surely some like Math.RoundUp and Math.RoundDown are preferrable, not too mention obvious as to the intent of the function??

I thought one of key elements was to bring people without any programming background into this slowly and easily, using computer terminology should be avoided where possible and this is an obvious case for new learners.

Is there any background as to why the terminology is in conflict with what Architects and Engineers will use to describe many objects???

luke
Message 2 of 4 (209 Views)

Re: Change Naming Conventions - Floor,Ceiling

10-17-2012 10:30 AM in reply to: Gytaco

Thanks for your suggestion :smileyhappy: We'll certainly consider that :smileyhappy:

tobiasjewson
Message 3 of 4 (153 Views)

11-19-2012 06:36 AM in reply to: Gytaco

Hi,

My vote is for keeping the names as they are. Floor and Ceiling are standard mathematical notation (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_and_ceiling_functions) and the names are used in just about every other programming language. Since the functions are encapsulated in the Math class there shouldn't be any ambiguity between a user defined variable named Floor and the Math.Floor function.

I my view it's is more confusing to change such established names, but I suppose it all comes down to the intended target audience as mentioned above.

- Tobias

luke
Message 4 of 4 (149 Views)

11-19-2012 06:40 AM in reply to: Gytaco

Well, if nothing else, they need moving out of the global namespace and into the Math namespace :smileyhappy: But that will need to wait a bit until better support for namespacing comes along...

Thanks for your input anyhow

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Visit Autodesk Labs
Autodesk Labs is home for new prototypes, experiments, applications, and technologies.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community