Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

dimensioning in DWG Viewer

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
2595 Views, 7 Replies

dimensioning in DWG Viewer

It would be AWESOME to be able to dimension right from the DWG file with the DWG Viewer rather than having to publish to DWF then going to DWF Composer. I believe VoloView will do this but it doesn't have all of thew other capabilities.

Is there any way to make DWG Viewer be able to get dimensions?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Oh god I hope not. That would defeat the whole purpose of DWF Composer. You want dimension a DWG. Other people want to dimension an Inventor file. Autodesk then has to figure out how to create one measuring tool that measures DWG and another for IDW. Been there. Done that. It's called Volo View. I hope they spend all of their efforts on creating powerful capabilities around DWF instead of the plethora of native formats that eventually lead to DWF. DWF Composer has all of these "other capabilities" because it doesn't have the baggage of having to deal with DWF. I do appreciate the ease of use that having this capability on the native DWG would yield you; however, your efforts would be better spent on automating the creation of DWFs from DWGs so you could enjoy all of DWF's benefits. "larryhd2" wrote in message news:216766.1089906440870.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > It would be AWESOME to be able to dimension right from the DWG file with the DWG Viewer rather than having to publish to DWF then going to DWF Composer. I believe VoloView will do this but it doesn't have all of thew other capabilities. > > Is there any way to make DWG Viewer be able to get dimensions?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Scott,

Thank you for your post.

I'm interested in learning more about automating the DWF publishing. My drafting department tells me it will be a hassle for them to publish a DWF each time they make a revision.

In the little I have looked at the DWG Viewer it seems that it already has a lot of the ACAD engine behind it. It can't be much work to add a button to measure a dimension. If it was in voloview, why shouldn't it be in Autodesk's DWG viewer? There are a lot of cheap DWG viewers out there, maybe I should see if any of them enable dimensioning.

Thanks again,
Larry
Message 4 of 8
tomk_rlba

Am I missing the point? Why is it too much to ask to measure a DWG in the DWG Viewer program?

I agree, the DWG Viewer program is a condensed version of AutoCAD.

I do love DWF's but when you want someone to be able to open and do a take off without having someone else make a DWF, it's the way to go.

Of course, I could just be crazy.

:-)
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous

Is it too much to ask that Autodesk be allowed to develop the measurement capability in one program based on one format - DWF? You are correct in that the viewer is a copy of AutoCAD OEM, so it could be done; however, then you would use the DWG viewer to do your measurement instead of generating the DWF. Then the Inventor users would ask for measurement stuff in their own native viewer. It would escalate from there. Autodesk wants you to generate a DWF. They give you the DWG viewer mostly so you can generate one. Anything other than that is rowing in the wrong direction. People don't seem to mind generating a plot file when they want something on paper, but they miss the point when it comes to DWF. "tomk_rlba" wrote in message news:29829076.1093467103294.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Am I missing the point? Why is it too much to ask to measure a DWG in the DWG Viewer program? > > I agree, the DWG Viewer program is a condensed version of AutoCAD. > > I do love DWF's but when you want someone to be able to open and do a take off without having someone else make a DWF, it's the way to go. > > Of course, I could just be crazy. > > 🙂
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

I am constantly hearing the argument that invertor users can't use a standard DWG viewer. Why should the rest of the millions of CAD users be hamstrung without a DWG viewer? Make DWF for the Inventor users and let the rest of us have a DWG viewer. "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:412d15ea$1_2@newsprd01... > Is it too much to ask that Autodesk be allowed to develop the measurement > capability in one program based on one format - DWF? You are correct in that > the viewer is a copy of AutoCAD OEM, so it could be done; however, then you > would use the DWG viewer to do your measurement instead of generating the > DWF. Then the Inventor users would ask for measurement stuff in their own > native viewer. It would escalate from there. Autodesk wants you to generate > a DWF. They give you the DWG viewer mostly so you can generate one. Anything > other than that is rowing in the wrong direction. People don't seem to mind > generating a plot file when they want something on paper, but they miss the > point when it comes to DWF. > > "tomk_rlba" wrote in message > news:29829076.1093467103294.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > Am I missing the point? Why is it too much to ask to measure a DWG in the > DWG Viewer program? > > > > I agree, the DWG Viewer program is a condensed version of AutoCAD. > > > > I do love DWF's but when you want someone to be able to open and do a take > off without having someone else make a DWF, it's the way to go. > > > > Of course, I could just be crazy. > > > > :-) > >
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

AutoCAD is moving in the direction of Inventor - intelligent objects. Objects are stairs, doors, walls, etc - not just lines, arcs, and circles. Eventually source CAD data will only be readable by the creating application. To allow downstream users to use a format that dos not require a $2800 program, Autodesk has invented DWF and gives the reader and viewer away for free. In the old days draftsmen used CAD and everyone else used paper. No one was hamstrung then. You are spoiled in that you are used to skipping a step, generating the paper, and just using the DWG. With the Autodesk View and Volo View experience, we have seen that this is not a sustainable solution. "Neil W" wrote in message news:41408177$1_3@newsprd01... >I am constantly hearing the argument that invertor users can't use a > standard DWG viewer. Why should the rest of the millions of CAD users be > hamstrung without a DWG viewer? Make DWF for the Inventor users and let > the > rest of us have a DWG viewer.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Good point. "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:414084bb$1_3@newsprd01... > AutoCAD is moving in the direction of Inventor - intelligent objects. > Objects are stairs, doors, walls, etc - not just lines, arcs, and circles. > Eventually source CAD data will only be readable by the creating > application. To allow downstream users to use a format that dos not require > a $2800 program, Autodesk has invented DWF and gives the reader and viewer > away for free. In the old days draftsmen used CAD and everyone else used > paper. No one was hamstrung then. You are spoiled in that you are used to > skipping a step, generating the paper, and just using the DWG. With the > Autodesk View and Volo View experience, we have seen that this is not a > sustainable solution. > > "Neil W" wrote in message > news:41408177$1_3@newsprd01... > >I am constantly hearing the argument that invertor users can't use a > > standard DWG viewer. Why should the rest of the millions of CAD users be > > hamstrung without a DWG viewer? Make DWF for the Inventor users and let > > the > > rest of us have a DWG viewer. > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report