Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a dwf composer was include in Autocad2002...

26 REPLIES 26
Message 1 of 27
Anonymous
9578 Views, 26 Replies

a dwf composer was include in Autocad2002...

26 REPLIES 26
Message 21 of 27

Exactly. If they want people to use DWF, they need some "encouragement" to leave PDF. "Michael Goossens" wrote in message news:4097956b_3@newsprd01... > I thing it's true, it's my opinion too ! > So if Autodesk give me license for dwf composer, I agree keeping this format > for our publications. > > If not, I'll make pub for adobe using pdf files. > > Only special features have be $, not tools for publishing that do advertise > for Autodesk (if Autodesk wants really make money and keep alive dwf format) > >
Message 22 of 27

You do not need Composer to publish, the DWF writer and AutoCAD will create the dwf. Composer is for editting and adding mark-ups to the dwf after it is created. You can not edit a PDF with out buying software or writing your own. The same thing for DWF either buy composer or create your own. Murph "Michael Goossens" wrote in message news:4097956b_3@newsprd01... > I thing it's true, it's my opinion too ! > So if Autodesk give me license for dwf composer, I agree keeping this format > for our publications. > > If not, I'll make pub for adobe using pdf files. > > Only special features have be $, not tools for publishing that do advertise > for Autodesk (if Autodesk wants really make money and keep alive dwf format) > >
Message 23 of 27

You can edit a PDF with the same software used to create it. You should be able to edit a DWF with the same software used to create it. -- Doug "Murph" wrote in message news:4097a002_2@newsprd01... > You do not need Composer to publish, the DWF writer and AutoCAD will create > the dwf. Composer is for editting and adding mark-ups to the dwf after it is > created. You can not edit a PDF with out buying software or writing your > own. The same thing for DWF either buy composer or create your own. > > Murph > > "Michael Goossens" wrote in message > news:4097956b_3@newsprd01... > > I thing it's true, it's my opinion too ! > > So if Autodesk give me license for dwf composer, I agree keeping this > format > > for our publications. > > > > If not, I'll make pub for adobe using pdf files. > > > > Only special features have be $, not tools for publishing that do > advertise > > for Autodesk (if Autodesk wants really make money and keep alive dwf > format) > > > > > >
Message 24 of 27

And you can edit with the same software you create the dwf from, either edit the dwg in autocad or edit a word document in windows office or whatever and republish the dwf. But you can not edit a pdf in a pdf reader or edit a dwf in a dwf reader. Unless you get a third party to create a pdf editor (shareware or buy) The same goes for dwf. After its out there for a while there will be third party clones. What you are saying is if I create a drawing in AutoCAD and plot it as a PDF I can edit it (the PDF) in the same software that I created it in, in this case AutoCAD? I got to ask, Do you have a copy of Composer? It's not something that you start out with a blank file and create a dwf with. It's use to open an existing dwf and edit or markup. The term edit is limited because you can not erase or modifly the orginal objects in it. It allows a user to add notes and measure or highlight. Murph "DFrank" wrote in message news:4097a4c9_1@newsprd01... > You can edit a PDF with the same software used to create it. You should be > able to edit a DWF with the same software used to create it. > > -- > Doug > > > > "Murph" wrote in message > news:4097a002_2@newsprd01... > > You do not need Composer to publish, the DWF writer and AutoCAD will > create > > the dwf. Composer is for editting and adding mark-ups to the dwf after it > is > > created. You can not edit a PDF with out buying software or writing your > > own. The same thing for DWF either buy composer or create your own. > > > > Murph > > > > "Michael Goossens" wrote in message > > news:4097956b_3@newsprd01... > > > I thing it's true, it's my opinion too ! > > > So if Autodesk give me license for dwf composer, I agree keeping this > > format > > > for our publications. > > > > > > If not, I'll make pub for adobe using pdf files. > > > > > > Only special features have be $, not tools for publishing that do > > advertise > > > for Autodesk (if Autodesk wants really make money and keep alive dwf > > format) > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 25 of 27

I do not have Composer but can see the value in such a product for in-house editing/markup. What I would like (and this is a *big* stretch) is for our engineers to red-line drawings electronically instead of on paper. I just think that with the investment we make in purchasing AutoCAD for the CAD staff we should be able to utilize its proprietary formats without further cost. I would like to see it bundled with AutoCAD. -- Doug "Murph" wrote in message news:4097ad24$1_3@newsprd01... > And you can edit with the same software you create the dwf from, either edit > the dwg in autocad or edit a word document in windows office or whatever and > republish the dwf. But you can not edit a pdf in a pdf reader or edit a dwf > in a dwf reader. Unless you get a third party to create a pdf editor > (shareware or buy) The same goes for dwf. After its out there for a while > there will be third party clones. > What you are saying is if I create a drawing in AutoCAD and plot it as a > PDF I can edit it (the PDF) in the same software that I created it in, in > this case AutoCAD? > > I got to ask, Do you have a copy of Composer? It's not something that you > start out with a blank file and create a dwf with. It's use to open an > existing dwf and edit or markup. The term edit is limited because you can > not erase or modifly the orginal objects in it. It allows a user to add > notes and measure or highlight. > > Murph > > > "DFrank" wrote in message > news:4097a4c9_1@newsprd01... > > You can edit a PDF with the same software used to create it. You should > be > > able to edit a DWF with the same software used to create it. > > > > -- > > Doug > > > > > > > > "Murph" wrote in message > > news:4097a002_2@newsprd01... > > > You do not need Composer to publish, the DWF writer and AutoCAD will > > create > > > the dwf. Composer is for editting and adding mark-ups to the dwf after > it > > is > > > created. You can not edit a PDF with out buying software or writing your > > > own. The same thing for DWF either buy composer or create your own. > > > > > > Murph > > > > > > "Michael Goossens" wrote in message > > > news:4097956b_3@newsprd01... > > > > I thing it's true, it's my opinion too ! > > > > So if Autodesk give me license for dwf composer, I agree keeping this > > > format > > > > for our publications. > > > > > > > > If not, I'll make pub for adobe using pdf files. > > > > > > > > Only special features have be $, not tools for publishing that do > > > advertise > > > > for Autodesk (if Autodesk wants really make money and keep alive dwf > > > format) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 26 of 27

That's is what it was designed for, to allow people to red line on the computers and not the paper then allow the cad guy to bring those redlines back into the dwg with the mark-up tools in R2005. As for bundleding it into AutoCAD they can not give it away free (legally) however that doesn't mean after AD recoops some of its investment back from selling it, that those on a subscription program have to pay full price. Sort of like buying a new car with an automatic transmission the manufactor will give you power steering for free but if you walk in to a dealer and say I want an automatic transmission to go in my present car you pay full price and don't get any extras. MHO Murph "DFrank" wrote in message news:4097b793$1_3@newsprd01... > I do not have Composer but can see the value in such a product for in-house > editing/markup. What I would like (and this is a *big* stretch) is for our > engineers to red-line drawings electronically instead of on paper. I just > think that with the investment we make in purchasing AutoCAD for the CAD > staff we should be able to utilize its proprietary formats without further > cost. I would like to see it bundled with AutoCAD. > > -- > Doug > > > > "Murph" wrote in message > news:4097ad24$1_3@newsprd01... > > And you can edit with the same software you create the dwf from, either > edit > > the dwg in autocad or edit a word document in windows office or whatever > and > > republish the dwf. But you can not edit a pdf in a pdf reader or edit a > dwf > > in a dwf reader. Unless you get a third party to create a pdf editor > > (shareware or buy) The same goes for dwf. After its out there for a while > > there will be third party clones. > > What you are saying is if I create a drawing in AutoCAD and plot it as a > > PDF I can edit it (the PDF) in the same software that I created it in, in > > this case AutoCAD? > > > > I got to ask, Do you have a copy of Composer? It's not something that you > > start out with a blank file and create a dwf with. It's use to open an > > existing dwf and edit or markup. The term edit is limited because you can > > not erase or modifly the orginal objects in it. It allows a user to add > > notes and measure or highlight. > > > > Murph > > > > > > "DFrank" wrote in message > > news:4097a4c9_1@newsprd01... > > > You can edit a PDF with the same software used to create it. You should > > be > > > able to edit a DWF with the same software used to create it. > > > > > > -- > > > Doug > > > > > > > > > > > > "Murph" wrote in message > > > news:4097a002_2@newsprd01... > > > > You do not need Composer to publish, the DWF writer and AutoCAD will > > > create > > > > the dwf. Composer is for editting and adding mark-ups to the dwf after > > it > > > is > > > > created. You can not edit a PDF with out buying software or writing > your > > > > own. The same thing for DWF either buy composer or create your own. > > > > > > > > Murph > > > > > > > > "Michael Goossens" wrote in message > > > > news:4097956b_3@newsprd01... > > > > > I thing it's true, it's my opinion too ! > > > > > So if Autodesk give me license for dwf composer, I agree keeping > this > > > > format > > > > > for our publications. > > > > > > > > > > If not, I'll make pub for adobe using pdf files. > > > > > > > > > > Only special features have be $, not tools for publishing that do > > > > advertise > > > > > for Autodesk (if Autodesk wants really make money and keep alive dwf > > > > format) > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 27 of 27

Hey, Scott: Using your analogy, here's how I see it: If you are Company B and your business is reviewing Company A's design's then $99 is a very fair price when compared to $400 for a new seat of Acrobat, $700 for LT or $3500 for AutoCAD. However, when compared to an existing investment in Acrobat or any of the other PDF packages (Paperport comes to mind) then it's not as attractive. I don't believe that Composer should be a free download. But I am *disappointed* in the fact that it is not bundled with AutoCAD or AutoCAD subscription. I like Composer. Would I spend $99 on it? Probably not - for us it has limited value up against existing technology investments. But for others it could be a really great answer. Would I push for integrating it into our processes if it were included? Definately. The fact that the DWG viewer is not integrated with Composer is a little dicey, though, eg you can't markup DWG's but you can open and plot to DWF which can then be marked up. (although I do not know if that was changed in the shipping version) And I understand your Home Depot comparison, but to clarify: Home Depot does provide *some* architecural services. I can have them design my kitchen, bathroom or deck - complete with little drawings and bill of materials (aka shopping list). And for that I'm not even obligated to buy anything. It's not a stamped plan and it may be off by a couple inches, but it's a good place to start and I didn't have do all from scratch. And I think that's about the same level of value you get from Composer. My disappointment stems from the fact that I'd like to see DWF take off. I don't want to wait a couple years for it to *maybe* become an "industry" standard - and even then be an "industry only" standard. I'm tired of people sending PDF's that are a pain to plot full size because the plotter can't handle them or they were created at 11x17 or PLT files which are even worse. And that's my 2 cents.... "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:4093b1d4_1@newsprd01... > If you are Company B and your business stems around the fact that you review > Company A's designs, then $99 is a fair price for your participation in the > process. You would recoup that in FedEx costs alone. I remain astounded by > the number of businesses that want software for free. If I am building a > house, and I decide to buy everything from Home Depot, e.g. cement, bricks, > mortar, wood, nails, wires, fixtures, etc., I'd wind up spending a lot of > money at Home Depot. Does that mean Home Depot would just throw in some > architectural services for free? I am spending so much money at Home Depot, > would you think they could afford to have an architect draft out my home > design for me? No way. IMHO there is no way DWF Composer should be free. > Value is added through the markup, measurement, and round tripping back into > AutoCAD. The fact that someone else already bought AutoCAD (cement, bricks, > mortar, ...) is not enough. > > "James Murphy" wrote in message > news:4092f40c_2@newsprd01... > > I agree there should be someway for Composer to be available to use for a > > client with out paying for it. If I'm a developer and have Co. A doing > civil > > design and Co. B doing Arch design why should I have to pay someone else > to > > review their designs? If you are Co. A are you willing to buy me a program > > to mark up your designs (along with the other 20-30 clients you may have)? > > MHO is Composer should be embedded on a firms web page to use and markup > any > > drawings (DWF) on the web site and only that web site. > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums