Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing DWF to PDF - Large File Size, Slow to create

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ssalmela
19477 Views, 8 Replies

Printing DWF to PDF - Large File Size, Slow to create

I've searched everywhere for any real answer to this question and so far have found none. (lots of suggestions to use other software which doesn't seem like it should be necessary).

I would like to open my DWF in ADR and print to the Adobe PDF printer to create a PDF.

I end up with a file about 9-10x the size of the DWF and the printing process takes quite a long time (5 minutes for 20 pages).

Is there something I can do to create a PDF from ADR when all I have is the DWF and have a file that is not overly large?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: ssalmela

ADR's PDF Driver is not the best: fact.

Your DWF's content may be contributing to the final PDF size: so far unknown except to you.

The other end users' suggestions are valid if the problem is the first issue noted above: you deciding not to try it seems curious to me.

Message 3 of 9
ssalmela
in reply to: pendean

I don't think its unreasonable to question if there is a way to convert a DWF to PDF without the file size ballooning by 10x directly without additional software.  I was just hoping someone might have other solutions to convert DWF to PDF without purchasing another piece of software.

The drawings are vector linework, B&W with a small color logo in the border. 25 pages which go from 8MB in DWF to 100 MB in the conversion. I just thought possibly someone has some insight as to settings that might be changed to make the conversion better. Right now I'm using the Adobe PDF driver to "print" the DWF to PDF.

Message 4 of 9
pendean

There are dozens of free PDF drivers that install in Windows you can test (mst new PCs over the last 2-3 years come with one installed too): you've not had to purchase a PDF driver in over a decade. Find one or two, download it, installed it, test it.

I'm not familiar with "adobe" drivers or changing their settings.

An 8MB DWF file is large, and it will create larger PDF files as compression in a DWF is more precise that a raster-based PDF driver. AFAIK there is no magic setting(s), but if you are able to share your DWF here someone can test in more detail.

www.wikisend.com and other free services allow you to share content too large to post around here.

Message 5 of 9
ssalmela

I was able to find a solution that is acceptable - in the print dialog there were some advanced settings and I was able to change the resolution from Automatic to 300dpi and that seems to have worked well.

Message 6 of 9
pendean

Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Message 7 of 9
pney

I have had the same issue since we started using DWF's as part of Vault in 2010.  Changing the dpi helps, but it doesn't solve the problem completely.  For example, a DWF printed to PDF using 'automatic' produces a file that is 5 MB.  Set to 300 dpi is results in 2 MB.  Printed directly from Inventor, the file is 500 kB and of a much higher visual quality.  Files printed from DWF's also have artifacts of the view outlines.  I have also used several PDF writers with no appreciable difference.  Has anyone found a better solution?

Message 8 of 9
jhalterFHSUV

What a catty answer to a question with no extra info added. 

Message 9 of 9
pendean
in reply to: jhalterFHSUV

@jhalterFHSUV What part of the many replies are you having a challenge with? This free viewer's PDF driver is not the only free option today in the year 2022, and reducing sizes of PDF has been a free offering on websites and other vendors' PDF software for decades now, just not this one from Autodesk.

Let us know what you still find challenging. TIA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report