Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Users opening DWF corrupts file

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
tspoon005
1527 Views, 1 Reply

Multiple Users opening DWF corrupts file

Recently my PM was marking up a set of my plans in DR 2012.  After working in it for 3 hrs, the file became corrupt and the most recent network backup we had was from when he was 20 minutes into the task.  We were befuddled as to how this happened until I found this thread (helpful forum thread) that discussed the issue.

Apparently, if somebody already has a .dwf file open (saved on a server) and another user attempts to open the file, they may do so without warning.  However, opening up that file immediately corrupts it beyond repair, to the point that you cannot even open the file again.  My PM lost hours of work doing detailed markups all because of a flaw in the program that had NO warning.

The one workaround that I found (see link above) suggests using Autodesk Vault to lock users out of program.  However, it would be nice if DWF files would function like every other Microsoft Office, PDF and even DWG file, where it warns you that another user has the file open (at least) and only allows you to open the program read-only.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how to avoid this in the future other than Vault, or is that our only option?  Has a Service Pack come available that fixes this flaw in the software?

FYI, the corrupted .dwf file is attached if anyone wants to explore further and/or repair and send back 🙂

Thanks,

TS

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
herbert.he
in reply to: tspoon005

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Your attached file is damaged and I don't think it can be repaired.

Any further question please let me know.

Herbert He
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report