Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring questions with Design Review

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Pstongelitho
2720 Views, 7 Replies

Measuring questions with Design Review

Hello,

We'd like to know if you can actually measure threads with Design review or anyway to do so.  We sometimes need to use the DWF file on production line to measure things up.

If not, is there a IDW viewer that would permit such measurments ?  Or do anyone have an idea how we could achieve our goal without having to use Inventor.

Thank you

Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Pstongelitho
in reply to: Pstongelitho

Hello,

Anyone have the answer ?

Thank you

Message 3 of 8
pendean

Try it my friend, only you can decide if it's worth it or does what you need.

If you have tried it, and hit a snag that prompted the question in the first place, do share more infor, scnreenshots and a more descriptive post so others can replicate.
Message 4 of 8
Pstongelitho

Hello,

Yes we have been working for a few years with Design Review, but would like to take to more use and more widespread in our company.

But we are not able to measure holes or more specifically threads

In this example bellow we see a threaded hole, but there seems to be no hole measuring tools or thread measuring tools, and that would be a very important thing to have if we are to use DWF's more effeciently. 

Example.JPG

I also feel the measuring tools with Design Review a bit too basic for such a powerfull program.   Measuring with ~ at begining of measure ?  Almost like saying, i think the measure you want is about that....

Thank you

Message 5 of 8
pendean

You can measure Diameter and Radius with the Dimension tool: the latter is best acheived by zooming out far enough for the tool to recognize there is a circle to measure. See attached screenshot.

Message 6 of 8
Pstongelitho
in reply to: pendean

Yes,

But what we mean is measure thread for a given hole, like it would tell us  M8 x 0,75 x 100mm  for example.

Sadly i do not believe Design Review to be flexible enough to do that.

Is there a place where users can ask for upgrades or adding new features ?  Like a suggestion box ?

Thank you

Message 7 of 8
pendean

In your sample DWF you can see that there are no 'objects', so it has no attributes, so there is no logical expectation of extracting the perfect information from it. Am I correct? DWF is not a CAD format, it's an electronic paper print. In your case, a very fuzzy bad quality to boot.

You may actually need to be marking up a CAD file instead: with a CAD program that can extract object attributes. I suspect you are asking too much from a 'paper' viewer.

product suggestions: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794
Message 8 of 8
Pstongelitho
in reply to: pendean

Thank you for product suggestion link.

As for a "paper" viewer i would not agree.  in 3D Design review is very powerfull (for such a lightweight program and in my opinion) and I feel with the 3D files it is just not only a paper rendering, i might be wrong, but DR seems to know all the parts, it just seems to be missing little things, but then again i might be wrong.

But thank you very much for your answers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums