Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Design Review discontinued?

326 REPLIES 326
Message 1 of 327
FT398
32591 Views, 326 Replies

Is Design Review discontinued?

So all the 2014 products are out now but Design Review 2014 is conspicuous in its absence. It isn't available for download (still only 2013 available) and it hasn't been included in any of the other product installers where it always has been in the past.

Have I missed something or is this the end of the road?

326 REPLIES 326
Message 261 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: Tim.West

The PDF format is controlled by Adobe. Its intent is that it is a substitute for paper publishing. DWF is controlled by Autodesk. Though we are not making significant changes to Autodesk Design Review (other than a Windows 10 update and the ability to share to A360), DWF remains as a format that Autodesk relies on. It is a significant part of Autodesk Vault. Our design applications continue to publish DWF files. DWF is the Design Web Format - created at a time when a Netscape Navigator Plug-in for direct DWG reading and display would have been too large for the 1995 browser to handle. Times have changed. Though browser capabilities and internet bandwidth have increased since then. now design projects are so complex that the data has gotten really large. It's better to leave it in one place rather than constantly copy it all over the place. In addition, Autodesk Design Review is Windows-only. Increasingly, project members are using smartphones and tablets to access and markup design data. So rather than spend manpower and effort on Design Review, in the long run, we will serve our customers better to provide a markup process that supports iPhones, Androids, iPads, Macs, Linux, and Windows PCs. Until that day comes, customers can use Autodesk Design Review with DWF files.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 262 of 327
Metron4
in reply to: scott.sheppard

"...we will serve our customers better to provide a markup process that supports iPhones, Androids, iPads, Macs, Linux, and Windows PCs."

Interesting, Scott. Does this mean Autodesk is putting more development into touch screen devices? I ask because, aside from the recent update to work with higher screen resolutions, there hasn't been much progress lately in making AutoCAD work with touch screens since the Labs multitouch project from several years ago. I really want to see AutoCAD work with devices like Microsoft Surface Studio and touch screen laptops.

Message 263 of 327
WM_Ron_Allen
in reply to: Metron4

*And android since they own about 75% of the world wide market... Starting with KitKat preferably: )

Ron Allen
Ware Malcomb Bim
Message 264 of 327
bbeilke

First, I am all for a solution that is compatible with a wide range of mobile devices.  My concern continues to be that this solution will be cloud based.  Many of our operations (construction aggregates) are in rather remote locations where cell coverage can be spotty at best and in some areas of the site (for example, down in the pit) nonexistent.

You also point out that "design projects are so complex that the data has gotten really large".  I agree.  But even in areas where we have excellent mobile networks, I do not want to be forced to use large amounts of mobile data just to get at files that I could easily copy onto a SD card and insert into my device (providing I'm not an iPhone user anyway).  

Give us an app that can be loaded on phones, tablets or computers that provides viewing/markup capabilities for DWF (and DWG, IAM, IPT, IDW, etc. for that matter) and let us decide for ourselves where our data is best stored.  I for one am growing weary of IT companies trying to force us into their cloud-based products whether it fits our business model or not.  And despite what these IT companies may think, it's not just because we are a bunch of aging dinosaurs who don't understand technology.  From my perspective it's more a case of the IT companies not having the first idea of the real-world consequences of some of these systems across a wide range of very diverse businesses.

Message 265 of 327
TInloes
in reply to: bbeilke

I totally agree with this.  I have lots of customers that use Design Review in the field (where cell coverage is sometimes not good).  Critical to me is the ability to use inexpensive GPS devices (like those that come with Microsoft Streets & Trips) to automatically center the maps I publish at the current location in the field.  I have many utility workers who use this technique to locate frozen water meters under the snow.  The GPS location is good enough to let them dig up the meter and thaw it out to restore water service.

Message 266 of 327
mbaker
in reply to: bbeilke

I also agree with this post. It  seems to me that so many SW application providers believe they know best as to what and and where you place your design and engineering data. It would be similar to owning your workshop tools but your tool box access and location is managed by your neighbor. Let me determine the data location. As noted in other posts on this subject, many clients are in remote construction, or offshore locations with limited access and bandwidth to access their data. remember it is their data not the cloud providers data. Just give us a tool, and let us decide where and when to store data.

Mike B.

Message 267 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: mbaker

Mike B:

You are correct that project members need to review design data where there is no internet access, such as in a deep basement, in the middle of nowhere, or on an airplane. That is why our cloud solution will have an offline mode. Until it does, customers can continue to use Autodesk Design Review. As the company that provides tools and toolboxes, we offer our customers choices.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 268 of 327
Vitornis

Are there any plans to be able view 3d DWF files on a VR headset with a mobile phone?

Message 269 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: Vitornis

Our focus for VR is currently with Autodesk LIVE.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/live/live-video

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 270 of 327
a_meteni

@Anonymous wrote:

Our current plan is to update Autodesk Design Review to support Windows 10. We are coordinating the update with Inventor, Vault, and Buzzsaw where corresponding changes need to be made to mate with the updated Autodesk Design Review. The plan, though this can change, is to have the Autodesk Design Review update out by the end of January 2017.

Hi Scott,

Are there any updates regarding this plan?

Message 271 of 327
scott.sheppard
in reply to: a_meteni

Thank you for asking. This is why we don't announce product releases in advance. The one time that I break the rules and do, it blows up in my face. We have had this update ready to go but then found integration issues with Buzzsaw and Vault. Then there was some functionality discussion regarding A360. In the words of Roseanne Rossadanna, "If it's not one thing. It's another. It's always something." Right now , the plan is to release it commensurate with our other product updates in the spring.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 272 of 327
mbaker

Hi Scott,

Saw last post about, Thanks for the update on the release information. I'll be looking for it...

Mike B

Message 273 of 327

Hi Scott,

This morning I wake up to find Autodesk has released Autocad (and LT) 2018 - does this mean, that based on your earlier comments, there's an update for Design Review about to emerge? Will this be branded a whole new version (ADR 2018 sounds nice) - or just a quiet patch?

Cheers

G

ACad, MEP, Revit, 3DS Max
Message 274 of 327

Yes, a new Design Review is on the horizon. It went through localization last week. It is being released as just "Autodesk Design Review" with no year. This will allow us to keep it around for a while without users expecting it to be updated every year.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 275 of 327

Great news!

thanks Scott..

ACad, MEP, Revit, 3DS Max
Message 276 of 327
Metron4

wooT!

Message 277 of 327
Tim.West

5 year release cycle works!

Great news...

Message 278 of 327

I know it handlws DWFs-

Does it handle PDFs?

Ron Allen
Ware Malcomb Bim
Message 279 of 327
Tim.West
in reply to: WM_Ron_Allen

Do you mean "Is there a button to turn vector processing on and off for .pdf?" as pdf has always been an option, just a painful one.

Message 280 of 327

I changed the file selector to *.* (all files), opened up a PDF, viewed it, marked it up, and saved it as a .dwfx file.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report