Design Review

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 1 of 6 (1,763 Views)

How do I view DWFx files on non-CAD terminals?

1763 Views, 5 Replies
04-19-2012 02:04 PM

I have a customer that I need to send my files to so that they can review them. They cant install any additional software (government agency).  I have read where I can send them dwfx files and they can review them and not have to install anything.

I sent them a dwfx file, but they say that they cant open it from Internet Explorer.  So next I try to open it on my workstation.  Of course, I have ADR installed and it opens easily.  Next I take the file to a terminal that does not have any Autocad products installed on it.  From IE, I try to open it and it gives me an error.  Here is a short video.

Terminal is running XP-Pro and IE8.

Any help on what to do to get this to open would really be greatly apprciated.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 2 of 6 (1,753 Views)

Re: How do I view DWFx files on non-CAD terminals?

04-19-2012 04:39 PM in reply to: karthur1

View:

http://freewheel.autodesk.com/

Do more:

http://quickshare.labs.autodesk.com/

But all the above are worse options for Government agencies.

Send a PDF, bet they read them just fine. "terminals" require a server app, nothing you can do as an outsider to fix it. DWFx files work with Vista (now dead) and Win7 (now king), and unless the XP users have a special driver installed from Microsoft (another problem, an installation is required) they can't read DWFx files. Your info source mayn have skipped that tidbit.

Dean Saadallah Blog | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | PINS
*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 3 of 6 (1,747 Views)

04-19-2012 05:22 PM in reply to: karthur1
I think they are using XP. I was needing to send them a 3D file (so they can section). I dont have any way to create a 3d pdf, but I kno there are programs out there that will do it.
Was hoping I could do it with the tools I have.
*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 4 of 6 (1,735 Views)

04-20-2012 04:40 AM in reply to: karthur1

I believe you must purchase Adobe Acrobat the full product in order to create a 3D PDF.

Have you considered a share site like AutoCADWS? You can post your DWG files and they can markup with you, but they cannot get your DWG file.

*Expert Elite*
karthur1
Message 5 of 6 (1,730 Views)

04-20-2012 05:53 AM in reply to: pendean

It is my understanding that Adobe alone will no longer produce a 3D PDF.  Adobe has spun off their 3D capabilites to another company called Tetra4D.  Tetra4d is an add-in that runs inside Adobe X.  Would cost around $900 for both.

I have also found where they are six to twelve months behind Autodesk when they put out their annual releases (it takes them that long to be able to read in a native Inventor file).

I tried the Project Freewheel and quickshare.  Neither of them had sectioning and measuring.

AutocadWS does not support opening DWF (or DWFx) files. That really supprised me that it would not view them.

*Expert Elite*
pendean
Message 6 of 6 (1,724 Views)

04-20-2012 11:48 AM in reply to: karthur1

No, I was refering to AutoCADWS and DWG files, it's core ability and reason it exists. No offense to our hosts if they plan otherwise, but DWF abilities there are of no urgent need for anyone using AutoCADWS.

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community