Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I view DWFx files on non-CAD terminals?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
karthur1
2323 Views, 5 Replies

How do I view DWFx files on non-CAD terminals?

I have a customer that I need to send my files to so that they can review them. They cant install any additional software (government agency).  I have read where I can send them dwfx files and they can review them and not have to install anything.

I sent them a dwfx file, but they say that they cant open it from Internet Explorer.  So next I try to open it on my workstation.  Of course, I have ADR installed and it opens easily.  Next I take the file to a terminal that does not have any Autocad products installed on it.  From IE, I try to open it and it gives me an error.  Here is a short video.

Terminal is running XP-Pro and IE8.

Any help on what to do to get this to open would really be greatly apprciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: karthur1

View:

http://freewheel.autodesk.com/

Do more:

http://quickshare.labs.autodesk.com/

But all the above are worse options for Government agencies.

Send a PDF, bet they read them just fine. "terminals" require a server app, nothing you can do as an outsider to fix it. DWFx files work with Vista (now dead) and Win7 (now king), and unless the XP users have a special driver installed from Microsoft (another problem, an installation is required) they can't read DWFx files. Your info source mayn have skipped that tidbit.

Message 3 of 6
karthur1

I think they are using XP. I was needing to send them a 3D file (so they can section). I dont have any way to create a 3d pdf, but I kno there are programs out there that will do it.
Was hoping I could do it with the tools I have.
Message 4 of 6
pendean

I believe you must purchase Adobe Acrobat the full product in order to create a 3D PDF.

Have you considered a share site like AutoCADWS? You can post your DWG files and they can markup with you, but they cannot get your DWG file.

Message 5 of 6
karthur1
in reply to: pendean

It is my understanding that Adobe alone will no longer produce a 3D PDF.  Adobe has spun off their 3D capabilites to another company called Tetra4D.  Tetra4d is an add-in that runs inside Adobe X.  Would cost around $900 for both.

I have also found where they are six to twelve months behind Autodesk when they put out their annual releases (it takes them that long to be able to read in a native Inventor file).

I tried the Project Freewheel and quickshare.  Neither of them had sectioning and measuring.

AutocadWS does not support opening DWF (or DWFx) files. That really supprised me that it would not view them.

Message 6 of 6
pendean

No, I was refering to AutoCADWS and DWG files, it's core ability and reason it exists. No offense to our hosts if they plan otherwise, but DWF abilities there are of no urgent need for anyone using AutoCADWS.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report