Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error when publishing DWF to 'overwrite' an existing file

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
captain74
1264 Views, 13 Replies

Error when publishing DWF to 'overwrite' an existing file

Hello, when I go to an existing DWF file and try to overwrite it from autocad 2010 it says 'file is currently open in another program. Please close the file and try again.' I can do this in cad 2008. Any idea's? Thanks
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Shawn_Niles
in reply to: captain74

What process are you using to complete the task? I have tested this fully and the functionality still works in AutoCAD 2010. The only way I was not able to overwrite the existing DWF is if in actuality it was open. Please confirm that the DWF is not already open, and if the problem persists, let us know the steps you are using to try and accomplish this.

Shawn Niles
Autodesk Product Support

Shawn Niles
Message 3 of 14
Donychen

Thank you for your question.

Autodesk fixed an error where the DWF was erroneously being overwritten by AutoCAD, so it sounds like you are running into that workflow.

And your problem sounds similar to another issue posted, for correct workflow, please refer to Kevin’s suggestion in this link: http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=741153&tstart=0

Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

Dony
Message 4 of 14
captain74

Here is my DWF print procedure.
1-Click Publish
2-Load List of Sheets (.dsd)
3-Publish DWF
4-Go to DWF file I want to overwrite
5-Choose and click Save
6-Get ....Error when publishing DWF to 'overwrite' an existing file...

Other Points:
We are on a server where we save eveything
NO one else has it open
AutoCad is the only program open on computrer-at least that I can see on task bar.

Any help is appreciated
Message 5 of 14
captain74

No My problem is that I WANT to overwrite a older file and it will not let me. I can re-name the file and save it but not overwrite it. Also, at any time I can go into the OLD file and delete it- so that tells me its not locked either by someone having it open or left open in another program.

I enclose a snap shot of desktop to better illustrate. Thank You for any Help!
Message 6 of 14
pwrstang

I've had a similar problem. Basically not being able to over-write an existing DWF. (This may be more along the lines of the bug or the other post referenced.) I've notcied the even when I close Design Review the cache still holds onto it, I see this by looking in the task manager. If I 'end process' on the Design Review', then it will let me over write the file. Hold that helps.

Brent
Message 7 of 14
captain74

Thank you for the suggestion but the only program I have open is Cad 2010. ANy more suggestions?
Message 8 of 14
kevin.moore

Hi,

Do you have the DWF open in the Markup Set Manager? (MSM command)? Or by DWFATTACH?

Or are you using Vault to store the DWG or DWF files?

Try turning off "Publish in Background" mode and see if that helps.

It looks like each sheet is published to an invidiual DWF file. Am I correct?

This is a puzzling issue.

Kevin

Kevin Moore
Test Development
AutoCAD
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 9 of 14
captain74

Kevin, thank you for the reply. Here are the answers to your questions.

Do you have the DWF open in the Markup Set Manager? (MSM command)? NO

Or by DWFATTACH? NO

Or are you using Vault to store the DWG or DWF files? NO

Try turning off "Publish in Background" mode and see if that helps.
NO it did not help. I still got the warning

It looks like each sheet is published to an invidiual DWF file. Am I correct?
YES. The .dsd file consists of sheets from several separate drawing files

Again, I am not the only one here with this issue and I can go and delete the
original file at any time. Only when I am trying to overwrite it do I get the error.(Please see attached image in earliler post)

I appreciate any HELP!

Edited by: captain74 on Aug 26, 2009 1:11 PM

Edited by: captain74 on Aug 26, 2009 1:12 PM Edited by: captain74 on Aug 26, 2009 1:13 PM
Message 10 of 14
EricStiles

I have the same problem on occasion. I open up explorer and delete the file just before you print. This is not a work around in my opionion but when you get frustrated. I find it funny that Autocad can't overwrite the file but I can delete it with my file manager. It's like Autocad seems to think the DWF is locked but no other program does.
Message 11 of 14
captain74

Glad that we are not the only ones with this problem. There have been nothing but problems with 2010 since we switched over from 2008. Some guys here just gave up and went back to 2008. I cannot even get a proper 'attempt' to a solution as you can see from prior threads. THanks
Message 12 of 14
roberth05

We are experiencing the same problem. Has anyone found a solution to the problem or has a bug been reported to Autodesk?
Message 13 of 14
captain74
in reply to: roberth05

It has been months and NOTHING. Another great product that is released without any basic testing done.  Whats going on? Can anyone help?

Message 14 of 14
mavsfan

We are experiencing the same problem. Can overwrite DWF files to C: drive all day, but not to a network drive.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report