Design Review

*AlmightySR
Message 1 of 3 (253 Views)

E-Spec for DWF?

253 Views, 2 Replies
05-07-2004 09:03 AM
Is there anything like E-Spec for DWF? I dont want the Spec writters to have the access to raw DWG files...?
*Scott Davis
Message 2 of 3 (253 Views)

Re: E-Spec for DWF?

05-07-2004 10:53 AM in reply to: *AlmightySR
How does E-spec work with AutoCAD/ADT? Does it read the drawings directly? I thought you at least exported out a list/text file that E-specs reads to get the info. Just answered my own question on their web site. It scans the drawing files. I would think now that DWFs contain xdata, that a DWF could be scanned in the same way? I like the Revit solution for E-spec. Export to an ODBC database, and e-spec reads the database. This way, I can export my model to the database and give it to the spec writer without gibing access to the model. SD "AlmightySR" wrote in message news:409bb36f_3@newsprd01... > Is there anything like E-Spec for DWF? I dont want the Spec writters to > have the access to raw DWG files...? > >
*chris yanchar - autodesk
Message 3 of 3 (253 Views)

Re: E-Spec for DWF?

05-07-2004 08:02 PM in reply to: *AlmightySR
From E-Specs website: "As you enter text, keynotes, blocks, hatches, or other drawing elements, your specifications stay in sync, in real time. Insert a wall, door, window, or any other building object into your drawing and instantly update your project manual with the appropriate specifications." For AutoCAD, they allow you to create a mapping between names of blocks, hatches, text to spec sections. Ex: if it finds "Ar-Brstd" hatch pattern then it adds a section for Brick Masonry Units. For ADT, they look at our objects, materials, and keynotes. For both applications the specs are automatically kept in sync by reading the .dwg's themselves. -- chris yanchar | product designer building solutions division | autodesk, inc. http://autodesk.blogs.com/between_the_walls/ "Scott Davis" wrote in message news:409bcc97$1_3@newsprd01... > How does E-spec work with AutoCAD/ADT? Does it read the drawings directly? > I thought you at least exported out a list/text file that E-specs reads to > get the info. > > Just answered my own question on their web site. It scans the drawing > files. I would think now that DWFs contain xdata, that a DWF could be > scanned in the same way? > > I like the Revit solution for E-spec. Export to an ODBC database, and > e-spec reads the database. This way, I can export my model to the database > and give it to the spec writer without gibing access to the model. > > SD > > > "AlmightySR" wrote in message > news:409bb36f_3@newsprd01... > > Is there anything like E-Spec for DWF? I dont want the Spec writters to > > have the access to raw DWG files...? > > > > > >

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community