Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Review 2013 - Drawings blank, but can be opend and viewed in trueview

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Bmacnab
2015 Views, 12 Replies

Design Review 2013 - Drawings blank, but can be opend and viewed in trueview

Hi there, I have downloaded autodesk design review 2013. An architect has sent me through two different drawings. One drawing I can open without any issues. I click on thumbnials and view the different pages, ie elevations, plans etc. without any problems.

On the other drawing, I can open, but the thumbnails are all blank white pages.
Although when open in trueview, I can view these pages. The architect says that both drawings were saved the same way??

I would appreciate any help on this, thanks.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
dmfrazier
in reply to: Bmacnab

"An architect has sent me through two different drawings"

Just so that we are clear, what file type are these "drawings"?

Message 3 of 13
pendean

Thumbnails are created inside AutoCAD: thumbnails are static raster images imbedded in the DWG file, they are NOT an actual look inside your file.

Your 'architect' either turned the feature off or performed a WBLOCK to create the file or something else. The viewer cannot fix it.

Again, the preview is not a look inside the file, never has been.
Message 4 of 13
Bmacnab
in reply to: dmfrazier

Drawings are autocad .dwg files
Message 5 of 13
Bmacnab
in reply to: pendean

OK, apologies is the question I ask are very basic, I am fairly new to this, but....

What do you suggest, should I ask the architect to check if the raster image is turned off?

Also, when opened in trueview I can see everything, does this have relevance?

Message 6 of 13
rkmcswain

Why are you trying to view these in Design Review as opposed to DWG Trueview?

When you "open" a DWG file using Design Review, what happens in that the DWG file is actually opened by DWG Trueview (behind the scenes) and the various layouts are printed to a DWF file. Then the DWF file is opened in Design Review.

So if the layouts are not set up correctly in the DWG file, the "prints" to DWF will not come out, and this is why the previews of the sheets you see in Design Review are blank.

If you truly need to view the drawing in Design Review, then open the DWG file in DWG Trueview yourself and then print/publish the layouts to DWF, taking care to set each sheet up correctly so that you are actually printing something.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 7 of 13
dmfrazier

The reason for asking is that the "solution" would be very different if we were dealing with DWF, for instance.

There are a few "settings" that affect the preview images that are stored in DWGs when saved, one or more of which may be involved here.

PREVIEWTYPE

THUMBSAVE (was RASTERPREVIEW)

UPDATETHUMBNAIL

You can look these up in Help to learn more.

But I have a feeling that this has nothing to do with the saved "preview image" (or thumbnail).  A screenshot demonstrating your question could be helpful.

Did you know there is a dedicated forum for Design Review questions?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Design-Review/bd-p/140

And another one for TrueView?

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/DWG-TrueView/bd-p/109

Message 8 of 13
rkmcswain
in reply to: pendean

@pendean wrote:
Thumbnails are created inside AutoCAD: thumbnails are static raster images imbedded in the DWG file, they are NOT an actual look inside your file.

I think the thumbnails the OP is referring to are the ones inside Design Review that show each sheet, not to be confused with DWG thumbnails in the AutoCAD OPEN dialog box.

adrthumbnails.png

Message 9 of 13
pendean

Ask the file creator to open the files and hit QSAVE one more time, ensuring they check settings for UPDATETHUMBNAIL variable inside AutoCAD.

See this link for other ideas and tips you and your file creator can discuss about your joint issue: remember, there is nothing you can do to fix it.
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-2013-2014/No-Thumbnail-Preview-in-File-Open-Dialog-Box-But-Onl...
Message 10 of 13
Bmacnab
in reply to: rkmcswain

Why are you trying to view these in Design Review as opposed to DWG Trueview? - If I can open the drawing in design review I can measure and markup the drawings

Sorry, I wasnt aware there was a design review forum seperate.

Attached is an image of what I am getting when the drawing is opened.

Message 11 of 13
dmfrazier

Now, please, show us what you see in TrueView that conflicts with this.

Message 12 of 13
rkmcswain

I am fairly confident that the answer to your question and the solution to your problem can be found in message 6.

Is there something in there you do not understand?

Message 13 of 13
meYW2CY
in reply to: rkmcswain

Totally useless software. I downloaded Design Review, opened a simple CAD file, all blank because of what and what issues. I uninstalled it immediately. Tools are supposed to solve my problems, not create more. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report