Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Design Review 2009 Administrator Rights

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
swinterberg
459 Views, 16 Replies

Design Review 2009 Administrator Rights

Hello all,

I have had issues getting Autodesk Design Review to run on a Windows XP Pro SP2 machine for quite some time now. I used a local administrator account to install it, however, when a standard user (who does not have admin rights) tries to open the application, nothing happens. If I run the shortcut or the application as a local admin or domain admin, it works fine.

Autodesk Design Review 2008 was previously installed on this machine, however it was removed prior to the installation of ADR2009.

I have tested the software on other machines on the network and all seems to run fine. The machines are almost identical except for the machine having problems had ADR2008 at one point whereas the others did not.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: swinterberg

Standard users should be able to run the application.

My recommendation to you would be to remove all DWF viewing applications and
to use the following tool to ensure they are really entirely gone:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q290301

I managed to resolve a similar issue using the same only a few days ago.

Once entirely removed, reattempt the installation and create a new standard
user to make sure the issue is not user account related.

Please contact me directly should this lead you nowhere.

Thank you.

wrote in message news:5928716@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hello all,

I have had issues getting Autodesk Design Review to run on a Windows XP Pro
SP2 machine for quite some time now. I used a local administrator account to
install it, however, when a standard user (who does not have admin rights)
tries to open the application, nothing happens. If I run the shortcut or the
application as a local admin or domain admin, it works fine.

Autodesk Design Review 2008 was previously installed on this machine,
however it was removed prior to the installation of ADR2009.

I have tested the software on other machines on the network and all seems to
run fine. The machines are almost identical except for the machine having
problems had ADR2008 at one point whereas the others did not.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thanks in advance!
Message 3 of 17
joeking69

I have had exactly the same issue and have found that it is being caused by applying SP1 for Design Review 2009.

I uninstall everything and then reinstall just the base version of 2009 and this seems to work for non-administrator user accounts.

Hope this helps.
Message 4 of 17
aterrell

I have found this to be true also. Does anyone know of a work around for this or is Autodesk going to address this issue. None of my users are local admins so SP1 will not be installed until this is taken care of.
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous

This is happening to me as well, ADR 2009 w/ SP-1 doesn't work w/ non-admin users, works fine with admin. ADR 09 & SP1 were installed under a Admin profile.
Looks like someone didn't test the patch enough before sending it out.
Message 6 of 17
swinterberg

Either they didn't test, or they all have local administrator rights.. Gotta love Windows security!
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous

I wonder what is the word from Autodesk. . .
Message 8 of 17

Same issue here. The first run after installing SP1 requires the user to have Admin rights in order to complete the initial configuration.
Message 9 of 17
cbliss

I am the next victim. I had the same problem, albeit holding up the AIP 2009 deployment to our company. Fortunately this thread pointed out the error. Autodesk needs to reissue the Service Pack.
Message 10 of 17
VJoseph

We have confirmed this issue internally now and are urgently looking at a resolution.

More as it becomes available.
Message 11 of 17
VJoseph

To confirm - this problem affects all users on XP who do not have local Admin rights.

The only recommendation we can make at this point is to remove the SP until the issue has been resolved.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

Updates will be provided as soon as available.

Thank you.
Message 12 of 17
cbliss

On the SP page, http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=11484616&linkID=9338137
It shows a publish date of Jun-27. Does this imply that the issue hs been resolved and the SP is re-released or is this just the page update date?

What is the status of the resolution?
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous

Since the page went away and mysteriously came back with a different URL, my
guess is that SP1 has been reissued with the correction. Empirical evidence
from people in these forums will soon bear this out. Alternatively we may
see something on Volker's blog where he shares with us the scoop.

wrote in message news:5968986@discussion.autodesk.com...
On the SP page,
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=11484616&linkID=9338137
It shows a publish date of Jun-27. Does this imply that the issue hs been
resolved and the SP is re-released or is this just the page update date?

What is the status of the resolution?
Message 14 of 17
JormaHeikkuri

Very good guess. I have also tried the old SP1. After same results as you I have removed ADR 2009. Then I installed again, this time without SP1. Now I have installed the new SP1. After upgrade the ADR 2009 version is 9.1.127. Now ADR runs with Power User rights. Hopefully I did not mess anything.
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous

Could we get something official as to whether the XP / admin issue has been fixed or not in SP1?
Message 16 of 17
fasteddie

Just to throw a monkey wrench into the works, we have five machines, of which four have the Design review problem. One is an Inventor Pro, the others Inventor. ALL are at Service Pack 0!! We are not having an issue with Design Review as such, but an issue with the DWF creation utility. When a DWF is created, either with "Save Copy As" or "Publish", a message comes up "Please wait while Design Review configures", then an error message is generated "Installation ...requires administrative rights...". If we click "OK" enough times, it goes away, and it does create the DWF. We have one machine on which the DWF creation works and it does not have Design Review installed at all. When I get a breather, I'm going to try uninstalling design Review (we don't use it anyway) from one of the machines and see if that cures the problem. It looks like we're "through with the initial upgrade (to 2009)" phase and now we're in the "regretting having done it" phase. Thanx.
Ed Burris
Message 17 of 17
cblocher

Hi Folks,

Volker has updated his blog with some detail:

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2008/07/autodesk-design.html

Best,

Chris

Chris Blocher
Content Strategist, CXD
Fusion 360 Product Documentation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report