Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG viewer does not display mdt drawings well

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
384 Views, 8 Replies

DWG viewer does not display mdt drawings well

See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts as they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. Changing the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has no effect. thanks, Kevin
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I haven't had time to play with the DWG Viewer in composer yet but it sounds like a bug to me. Keep in mind that the DWG Viewer is in no way designed to be a full fledged AutoCAD, MDT, ADT, and all the rest viewer. It's basically in there to provide basic support for those who don't have AutoCAD and to keep the hounds off them for dropping Volo View. Whoever creates the drawings in AutoCAD creates the DWF from AutoCAD which is then viewed and marked up in Composer and sent back to the person with AutoCAD to view the DWF markups and change the AutoCAD drawing. The whole idea behind DWF was to get a format that the viewer could be lightweight and not the 100+ MB that Volo View morphed into to support viewing everything (or close to everything). With DWF you don't have to worrry about font files, ctb, stb, xrefs, pc3, pmp, shx and all the other great things that are not stored in the drawing in the first place. But to do true high resolution converting to DWF you'll want to use the original app that it was created in. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Kevin Terry" wrote in message news:40ffb0a5_2@newsprd01... > See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts as > they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. Changing > the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has no > effect. > > thanks, > Kevin > > >
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

I wonder if those are coming in as proxy graphics. Hmmmmm..... "Kevin Terry" wrote in message news:40ffb0a5_2@newsprd01... > See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts as > they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. Changing > the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has no > effect. > > thanks, > Kevin > > >
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I disagree in part. I and the companies I have worked for have always relied on the viewer shipped with Inventor Series (and before that Mechanical desktop power pack) to provide employees without autocad to view the files we create. The "README-Limited_DWG_Viewer_Redistribution.doc" on the Vault CD says this: README-Limited DWG Viewer Redistribution Subject to the terms of the accompanying End User License Agreement, you are allowed to distribute the Autodesk DWG Viewer only within your company; distribution can be up to 10 seats per every Autodesk Inventor Series or Autodesk Inventor Professional seat under subscription with a maximum of 200 viewer seats. Anyone outside your company who is not an Autodesk Inventor Series or Autodesk Inventor Professional subscription customer will need to purchase Autodesk DWF Composer or Volo View 3. Which implies our strategy is not far fetched or unique. We simply want a viewer that displays the graphics properly. Note that 'Powered by Volo View' and VoloView 3 also had this problem. We have enough to do here without making sure a file format besides the native dwg is maintained and updated for every revision to the dwg, hence the need for a dwg viewer internally for manufacturing, purchasing, management, etc. thanks, Kevin "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message news:41005275$1_2@newsprd01... > I haven't had time to play with the DWG Viewer in composer yet but it sounds > like a bug to me. Keep in mind that the DWG Viewer is in no way designed to > be a full fledged AutoCAD, MDT, ADT, and all the rest viewer. It's > basically in there to provide basic support for those who don't have AutoCAD > and to keep the hounds off them for dropping Volo View. Whoever creates the > drawings in AutoCAD creates the DWF from AutoCAD which is then viewed and > marked up in Composer and sent back to the person with AutoCAD to view the > DWF markups and change the AutoCAD drawing. > > The whole idea behind DWF was to get a format that the viewer could be > lightweight and not the 100+ MB that Volo View morphed into to support > viewing everything (or close to everything). With DWF you don't have to > worrry about font files, ctb, stb, xrefs, pc3, pmp, shx and all the other > great things that are not stored in the drawing in the first place. But to > do true high resolution converting to DWF you'll want to use the original > app that it was created in. > > -- > Rodney McManamy > President > CADzation > ------------------------- > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > ------------------------- > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > McHenry, IL 60050 > www.cadzation.com > Providing Industrial Strength > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > Global CAD Marketplace. > > "Kevin Terry" wrote in message > news:40ffb0a5_2@newsprd01... > > See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts as > > they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. Changing > > the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has no > > effect. > > > > thanks, > > Kevin > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Jeffrey, My guess is yes - the proxy dialog is coming up at file open and on print. I haven't pursued an object enabler yet, since applying this with volo view 3 caused greater problems. If you think it's worthwile though, I'll give it a shot. Kevin "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:4100a0e1$1_3@newsprd01... > I wonder if those are coming in as proxy graphics. Hmmmmm..... > > "Kevin Terry" wrote in message > news:40ffb0a5_2@newsprd01... > > See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts as > > they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. Changing > > the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has no > > effect. > > > > thanks, > > Kevin > > > > > > > >
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Sure, anything is worth a try. If the proxy graphics are bogus, then it's a bug in the publisher, otherwise in the DWG viewer. It would definitely help narrow down the issue. "Kevin Terry" wrote in message news:41010029$1_1@newsprd01... > Jeffrey, > My guess is yes - the proxy dialog is coming up at file open and on print. I > haven't pursued an object enabler yet, since applying this with volo view 3 > caused greater problems. If you think it's worthwile though, I'll give it a > shot. > > Kevin > > "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote > in message news:4100a0e1$1_3@newsprd01... > > I wonder if those are coming in as proxy graphics. Hmmmmm..... > > > > "Kevin Terry" wrote in message > > news:40ffb0a5_2@newsprd01... > > > See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts as > > > they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. > Changing > > > the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has > no > > > effect. > > > > > > thanks, > > > Kevin > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Update: See attached - I downloaded the mdt6 oe and proceeded to install it, but applying it to the dwg viewer is not an option. Any suggestions? thanks Kevin "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:410170ac$1_1@newsprd01... > Sure, anything is worth a try. If the proxy graphics are bogus, then it's a > bug in the publisher, otherwise in the DWG viewer. It would definitely help > narrow down the issue. > > "Kevin Terry" wrote in message > news:41010029$1_1@newsprd01... > > Jeffrey, > > My guess is yes - the proxy dialog is coming up at file open and on print. > I > > haven't pursued an object enabler yet, since applying this with volo view > 3 > > caused greater problems. If you think it's worthwile though, I'll give it > a > > shot. > > > > Kevin > > > > "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" > wrote > > in message news:4100a0e1$1_3@newsprd01... > > > I wonder if those are coming in as proxy graphics. Hmmmmm..... > > > > > > "Kevin Terry" wrote in message > > > news:40ffb0a5_2@newsprd01... > > > > See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts > as > > > > they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. > > Changing > > > > the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has > > no > > > > effect. > > > > > > > > thanks, > > > > Kevin > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Kevin, have you tried the new DWF Viewer 5? If not, download the English version only (the only version 5), the other ones are still an older version. hope this helps, Martin Gasevski "Kevin Terry" wrote in message news:40ffb0a5_2@newsprd01... > See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts as > they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. Changing > the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has no > effect. > > thanks, > Kevin > > >
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

this is the newest DWG viewer - included with the Inventor Series 9 cd (2005) thanks Kevin "Martin Gasevski" wrote in message news:41064ef9$1_3@newsprd01... > Kevin, > > have you tried the new DWF Viewer 5? If not, download the English version > only (the only version 5), the other ones are still an older version. > > hope this helps, > > Martin Gasevski > > "Kevin Terry" wrote in message > news:40ffb0a5_2@newsprd01... > > See attached images. The mdtview.png shows a screen shot of the parts as > > they look in mdt, the other shows the same drawing in dwg viewer. Changing > > the circle smoothness and polyline segments settings under options has no > > effect. > > > > thanks, > > Kevin > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report