Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWF file size

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dvsmiller9
876 Views, 3 Replies

DWF file size

When I convert a scanned PDF to DWF the file size balloons as much as 5 times.  Whether I print to DWF using the DWF writer for 2D printer driver or open the PDF in Design Review 2013 and save as DWF or DWFx makes no difference.

Is there a better way or are we stuck with multimegabyte files when I could stick with PDF and keep it under 1Mb per file?

Thanks,

David Miller

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: dvsmiller9

There is no relationshhip between those file types: it's content and your output (and perhaps even the lackluster driver being used to create the other format) that controls files sizes.

Scanned PDFs are a huge collection of points (your drawing plus "noise". DWF triesd to create Vector files, so each point is actually a point, taking up code space in the file definition. A billion points bulk up file size more than one continous line of the same length.

PDF= standard paint brush.

DWF= super fine pointed pen.

Message 3 of 4
dvsmiller9
in reply to: pendean

My understanding of the DWF format is that it is based on the ISO 29500 Open Document format which is basically a ZIP file collection of objects which can include graphics such as PNG, BMP, etc.  Seems to me a PDF to DWF conversion would be mostly just a repackaging, not something requiring a 5:1 size expansion,  Are you saying it is really trying to convert raster data to vector?  Are the PDF graphics being converted to a graphics memory hog format like BMP instead of something more efficient like PNG?  If so then I'll just stick with PDF.  I had hoped I could use DWF to leverage the built in markup capabilities of Vault and Design Review without having to switch to Acrobat during change order reviews.

Message 4 of 4
pendean
in reply to: dvsmiller9

You might want to ask in the VAULT forum how other VAULT users handle your issues: I bet you're not the first (or last) 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report