Design Review

*Robert Grandmaison
Message 1 of 23 (164 Views)

DWF Composer for Handheld devices???

164 Views, 22 Replies
05-14-2004 09:03 AM
I think Composer would be a TERRIFIC app to have on a heldheld device. Is there anything in the works??? Robert Grandmaison
*Robert Grandmaison
Message 2 of 23 (164 Views)

Re: DWF Composer for Handheld devices???

05-14-2004 09:15 AM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
Oh, and don't tell me that we should just "get a tablet pc"!!! True a tablet PC would be nice- but for field reviews where you're juggling an equipment bag, notepad, cell phone, etc. etc. a handheld would be the PERFECT device for taking quick markup notes and placing them on a DWF. OnSite isn't practical- don't want to jeapordize the data- and a DWF is MUCH MUCH smaller than a DWG. I think if Autodesk asked this question, the answer would be obvious..."Gee, what do we want, to provide a reasonably priced software application (Composer) for a gazillion handheld devices out there already in use in the field now, or tell people to get a very pricey tablet PC (clunky and too new and overpriced) and just use the current build of DWF Composer?" The answer should be obvious. Port DWF Composer to Windows CE for handhelds and you've got not only a gazillion seats of it flying of retail shelves, but a wave of demand for DWF files as well. Cheers, Robert Grandmaison "Robert Grandmaison" wrote in message news:40a4edae_2@newsprd01... > I think Composer would be a TERRIFIC app to have on a heldheld device. Is > there anything in the works??? > > Robert Grandmaison > >
*Mark Douglas
Message 3 of 23 (164 Views)

05-14-2004 09:19 AM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
Ya cant agree more!!! You rock Dude!!! Mark "Robert Grandmaison" wrote in message news:40a4f044_1@newsprd01... > Oh, and don't tell me that we should just "get a tablet pc"!!! True a tablet > PC would be nice- but for field reviews where you're juggling an equipment > bag, notepad, cell phone, etc. etc. a handheld would be the PERFECT device > for taking quick markup notes and placing them on a DWF. OnSite isn't > practical- don't want to jeapordize the data- and a DWF is MUCH MUCH smaller > than a DWG. > > I think if Autodesk asked this question, the answer would be obvious..."Gee, > what do we want, to provide a reasonably priced software application > (Composer) for a gazillion handheld devices out there already in use in the > field now, or tell people to get a very pricey tablet PC (clunky and too new > and overpriced) and just use the current build of DWF Composer?" > > The answer should be obvious. Port DWF Composer to Windows CE for handhelds > and you've got not only a gazillion seats of it flying of retail shelves, > but a wave of demand for DWF files as well. > > Cheers, > > Robert Grandmaison > > "Robert Grandmaison" wrote in message > news:40a4edae_2@newsprd01... > > I think Composer would be a TERRIFIC app to have on a heldheld device. Is > > there anything in the works??? > > > > Robert Grandmaison > > > > > >
*Murph
Message 4 of 23 (164 Views)

05-14-2004 10:05 AM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
Hey don't give Robert all the credit if they do create one. I asked for one to run on my handheld GPS units a long time ago. :smileyhappy: Murph (me thinks there is one in the works) "Mark Douglas" wrote in message news:40a4f0ed_2@newsprd01... > Ya cant agree more!!! You rock Dude!!! > > Mark > > "Robert Grandmaison" wrote in message > news:40a4f044_1@newsprd01... > > Oh, and don't tell me that we should just "get a tablet pc"!!! True a > tablet > > PC would be nice- but for field reviews where you're juggling an equipment > > bag, notepad, cell phone, etc. etc. a handheld would be the PERFECT device > > for taking quick markup notes and placing them on a DWF. OnSite isn't > > practical- don't want to jeapordize the data- and a DWF is MUCH MUCH > smaller > > than a DWG. > > > > I think if Autodesk asked this question, the answer would be > obvious..."Gee, > > what do we want, to provide a reasonably priced software application > > (Composer) for a gazillion handheld devices out there already in use in > the > > field now, or tell people to get a very pricey tablet PC (clunky and too > new > > and overpriced) and just use the current build of DWF Composer?" > > > > The answer should be obvious. Port DWF Composer to Windows CE for > handhelds > > and you've got not only a gazillion seats of it flying of retail shelves, > > but a wave of demand for DWF files as well. > > > > Cheers, > > > > Robert Grandmaison > > > > "Robert Grandmaison" wrote in message > > news:40a4edae_2@newsprd01... > > > I think Composer would be a TERRIFIC app to have on a heldheld device. > Is > > > there anything in the works??? > > > > > > Robert Grandmaison > > > > > > > > > > > >
*Robert Grandmaison
Message 5 of 23 (164 Views)

05-14-2004 10:14 AM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
I don't even want credit if they do, just an unlimited number of licenses to run in our office as I promulgate DWF. : ) Robert "Murph" wrote in message news:40a4fc0f$1_1@newsprd01... > Hey don't give Robert all the credit if they do create one. I asked for one > to run on my handheld GPS units a long time ago. :smileyhappy: > > Murph (me thinks there is one in the works) > > "Mark Douglas" wrote in message > news:40a4f0ed_2@newsprd01... > > Ya cant agree more!!! You rock Dude!!! > > > > Mark > > > > "Robert Grandmaison" wrote in message > > news:40a4f044_1@newsprd01... > > > Oh, and don't tell me that we should just "get a tablet pc"!!! True a > > tablet > > > PC would be nice- but for field reviews where you're juggling an > equipment > > > bag, notepad, cell phone, etc. etc. a handheld would be the PERFECT > device > > > for taking quick markup notes and placing them on a DWF. OnSite isn't > > > practical- don't want to jeapordize the data- and a DWF is MUCH MUCH > > smaller > > > than a DWG. > > > > > > I think if Autodesk asked this question, the answer would be > > obvious..."Gee, > > > what do we want, to provide a reasonably priced software application > > > (Composer) for a gazillion handheld devices out there already in use in > > the > > > field now, or tell people to get a very pricey tablet PC (clunky and too > > new > > > and overpriced) and just use the current build of DWF Composer?" > > > > > > The answer should be obvious. Port DWF Composer to Windows CE for > > handhelds > > > and you've got not only a gazillion seats of it flying of retail > shelves, > > > but a wave of demand for DWF files as well. > > > > > > Cheers, > > > > > > Robert Grandmaison > > > > > > "Robert Grandmaison" wrote in message > > > news:40a4edae_2@newsprd01... > > > > I think Composer would be a TERRIFIC app to have on a heldheld device. > > Is > > > > there anything in the works??? > > > > > > > > Robert Grandmaison > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Valued Contributor
Message 6 of 23 (164 Views)

05-16-2004 07:48 PM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
Robert,

OK. Thanks for the heads up on the Tablet PC response. We've heard this request from a "hand" ful of customers. You're saying that it would be great if Autodesk ported applications like DWF Composer to the handheld platform? Have you been able to deploy other solutions to the handheld platform in your office?

Doug Look, Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
*James Murphy
Message 7 of 23 (164 Views)

05-16-2004 08:09 PM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
Doug, I don't port other applications to handhelds (Windows CE) because I like staying on the AutoDesk platform but I can get that other mapping software to port back and forth between handheld and desktops. Take a look at ESRI ArcPad if you haven't seen it. That's what I'm wanting from AutoDesk and think it should be easy with the DWF formats and Composer. http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcpad/about/overview.html Murph "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message news:1510146.1084762131577.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > Robert, > > OK. Thanks for the heads up on the Tablet PC response. We've heard this request from a "hand" ful of customers. You're saying that it would be great if Autodesk ported applications like DWF Composer to the handheld platform? Have you been able to deploy other solutions to the handheld platform in your office? > > Doug Look, Product Manager > Autodesk, Inc.
*Jeffrey Klug \(Autodesk, Inc.\)
Message 8 of 23 (164 Views)

05-17-2004 08:37 AM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
Easy? :smileyhappy: "James Murphy" wrote in message news:40a82cde$1_3@newsprd01... > Doug, > I don't port other applications to handhelds (Windows CE) because I like > staying on the AutoDesk platform but I can get that other mapping software > to port back and forth between handheld and desktops. Take a look at ESRI > ArcPad if you haven't seen it. That's what I'm wanting from AutoDesk and > think it should be easy with the DWF formats and Composer. > > http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcpad/about/overview.html > > Murph > > "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message > news:1510146.1084762131577.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > > Robert, > > > > OK. Thanks for the heads up on the Tablet PC response. We've heard this > request from a "hand" ful of customers. You're saying that it would be > great if Autodesk ported applications like DWF Composer to the handheld > platform? Have you been able to deploy other solutions to the handheld > platform in your office? > > > > Doug Look, Product Manager > > Autodesk, Inc. > >
*Murph
Message 9 of 23 (164 Views)

05-17-2004 11:39 AM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
yes easy Murph "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40a8dc29$1_3@newsprd01... > Easy? :smileyhappy: > > "James Murphy" wrote in message > news:40a82cde$1_3@newsprd01... > > Doug, > > I don't port other applications to handhelds (Windows CE) because I like > > staying on the AutoDesk platform but I can get that other mapping software > > to port back and forth between handheld and desktops. Take a look at ESRI > > ArcPad if you haven't seen it. That's what I'm wanting from AutoDesk and > > think it should be easy with the DWF formats and Composer. > > > > http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/arcpad/about/overview.html > > > > Murph > > > > "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message > > news:1510146.1084762131577.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > > > Robert, > > > > > > OK. Thanks for the heads up on the Tablet PC response. We've heard > this > > request from a "hand" ful of customers. You're saying that it would be > > great if Autodesk ported applications like DWF Composer to the handheld > > platform? Have you been able to deploy other solutions to the handheld > > platform in your office? > > > > > > Doug Look, Product Manager > > > Autodesk, Inc. > > > > > >
*Robert Grandmaison
Message 10 of 23 (164 Views)

05-19-2004 01:09 PM in reply to: *Robert Grandmaison
No- we haven't tried because we haven't SEEN anything out there that would be most suited to our use: 1. We don't want to have our engineers write to dwg formats- they're not CAD operators. 2. We want something SMALL in footprint size that they can take out in a handheld device that won't require a lot of hardware overhead to make it run DWF would fit this bill. 3. We want something that has some useablity when they return to the office with their field notes in the marked up DWF. Composer suits this need perfectly. CAD operators could then overlay with the Markup manger the field notes taken while out on site, and make revisions as necessary. No other sofware gave us all of the above. DWF Composer would. Robert Grandmaison "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message news:1510146.1084762131577.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > Robert, > > OK. Thanks for the heads up on the Tablet PC response. We've heard this request from a "hand" ful of customers. You're saying that it would be great if Autodesk ported applications like DWF Composer to the handheld platform? Have you been able to deploy other solutions to the handheld platform in your office?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you interested in helping shape the Autodesk Community?
We’re looking at a few different ways to improve the “All Forums” landing page and need your feedback! If interested, please take a few minutes to fill out the following Usability Study. Thank you for your time!

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community