Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWF Composer and Volo

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jorgeledezma
466 Views, 9 Replies

DWF Composer and Volo

I would like to know what is the difference between Volo and DWF Composer. What is the Autodesk strategy? Thanks!
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: jorgeledezma

Volo View is a for fee viewer that attempted to be the universal viewer for Autodesk products. It allows for viewing, markup, and measurement of the DWG and DWF formats. DWG---+ or +-->VoloView.exe DWF---+ Volo View makes a distinction between printing and plotting in that printing uses the system printer driver, same process used by Microsoft Word, Notepad, etc., but plotting uses a more advanced process - the same process used by AutoCAD. To accomplish this, Volo View comes with an add-on application that is a copy of AutoCAD OEM. It plots just like AutoCAD, because it is AutoCAD. This works for DWG only. DWG---+ +-->VoloView.exe--->VPlt.exe--->paper So far so good. The pictures gets a little more complicated when you consider that these various flavors of AutoCAD have "intelligent objects" -- data contained in DWG files that needs special code for them to be viewed properly. In products like Architectural Desktop, these would be things like doors, walls, windows, etc. To properly handle this type of data, what Autodesk calls "object enablers" have to be downloaded and installed by each Volo View users. They object enablers are free of charge. DWG---+ +-->VoloView.exe+object enablers Once a DWG is read in, it can be marked up using a variety of tools. The results can be saved to a DWF file or a redline markup file. DWG---+ or +-->VoloView.exe+object enablers--->RML or DWF DWF---+ If the RML file is used, it contains just the markup data and not the original data. This way the DWG and the RML file can be read into AutoCAD. This allows the original author of the DWG to see the user's suggested markup and make changes to the original data. DWG---+ and +-->AutoCAD--->DWG RML---+ The process gets further complicated by Inventor, but is similar. Volo View attempts to apply this same process to IDW files. DWG---+ or +-->VoloView.exe DWF---+ or | IDW---+ DWF Composer goes the other direction. Rather than try to read DWG and IDW files and keep up with the changes to all of Autodesk products, it works with one format: DWF. All of the Autodesk products generate DWF. DWF--->DWF Composer--->DWF So this obviates the need for object enablers. DWF Composer can plot a DWF file to scale, so this obviates the need for VPlt.exe. For DWF Composer users who receive DWGs from their users, DWF Composer does come with a DWG viewer (again a copy of AutoCAD OEM juts like VPlt.exe) hat allows DWGs to be viewed, plotted, or a DWF generated. DWG--->DWG Viewer--->DWF--->DWF Composer In terms of markup, viewing and marking up a DWF results in a new DWF. Like a DWF generated by Volo View, this DWF contains the original data (unlike the RML file) plus the markup. This means the DWF can be sent to people who have the free Autodesk DWF Viewer. So whereas Volo View and DWF Composer are for fee, the DWF Viewer is for free. DWF--->DWF Composer--->DWF--->DWF Viewer AutoCAD 2005 has been updated so that it can read in a DWG plus the DWF and line them up so the DWF can be used as the markup data. DWG---+ and +-->AutoCAD2005--->DWG DWF---+ In a nutshell, I guess DWF Composer attempts to be simpler for users in that it concentrates on DWFs. I know other newsgroup users will have tons to add. "JorgeLedezma" wrote in message news:1689228.1087298078744.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I would like to know what is the difference between Volo and DWF Composer. What is the Autodesk strategy? Thanks!
Message 3 of 10
jorgeledezma

Thank you very much!
Message 4 of 10
jacksoa

The short answer (from the Help):
With Volo View, you can view, mark up, plot, and print DWF, DWG, DXF™, and Autodesk Inventor® files. It can view and orbit 3D DWGs, and perform high quality, stylized plotting.

DWF Composer focuses on DWFs and raster files.
Message 5 of 10
jorgeledezma

You are right. I have seen DWF Composer working recently and I was surprised that this program only do a couple of things more than Express Viewer (which is free): red line and measurements. I would like to have in my downstream team the capability of 3D Orbit, but someone told me that Volo is going out from the market, being substituted by DWF Composer.. (!). What is the truth?
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

FWIW, the next DWF Viewer will support 3D DWF and you will indeed have your 3D Orbit capability. "JorgeLedezma" wrote in message news:20534756.1088252545311.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > You are right. I have seen DWF Composer working recently and I was surprised that this program only do a couple of things more than Express Viewer (which is free): red line and measurements. I would like to have in my downstream team the capability of 3D Orbit, but someone told me that Volo is going out from the market, being substituted by DWF Composer.. (!). What is the truth?
Message 7 of 10
jorgeledezma

Thanks Jeffrey.

When is suppose to be released the new DWF Viewer?
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

I wish I knew. Soon. "JorgeLedezma" wrote in message news:24921447.1088422453974.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks Jeffrey. > > When is suppose to be released the new DWF Viewer?
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

The new DWF Viewer with 3D is in beta now. When released, you will be able to download the DWF Viewer for free; however, it is different from Volo in that you will need to generate a 3D DWF from Inventor, AutoCAD, Revit, etc. in order for people to use the free viewer. For people who need what Volo offers today (i.e., markup and measurement), they will still have to buy DWF Composer which is about the same price. What is really happening here is that instead of trying to make Volo view everything that all of the other Autodesk products produce, all of the other products will produce DWF and the DWF Viewer and DWF Composer will focus on that. "JorgeLedezma" wrote in message news:24921447.1088422453974.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Thanks Jeffrey. > > When is suppose to be released the new DWF Viewer?
Message 10 of 10
jorgeledezma

Thanks Scott, that's was very useful. I appreciate it.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report