Design Review

Valued Contributor
conner717
Message 1 of 5 (624 Views)

Creating Symbol Catalog Q&A

624 Views, 4 Replies
03-15-2010 03:04 PM
Hello,

I've searched around and don't find anything related to this subject. The manuals provided are very basic on what is needed to accomplish this task. I work for a group that handles telecomm installs and we wanted to be able to add symbols to DR so that our field techs can update us on outlet locations easier than hand written hard copies.

I want to create two catalogs one named Existing and the other Proposed. I've figured out how to get a single symbol to show under a catalog but I can not add multiple symbols. I've tried using a DWF with all our symbols in it and "Import each object as symbol" but that doesn't work. I've tried adding a single symbol to different layouts within a drawing but you can't export a DWF from a layout.

So how do you add multiple symbols to a Catalog? Edited by: conner717 on Mar 15, 2010 3:05 PM
Valued Contributor
conner717
Message 2 of 5 (624 Views)

Re: Creating Symbol Catalog Q&A

03-16-2010 09:49 AM in reply to: conner717
I figured out how to get my symbols into DR but I had to use ACAD2010 to create a drawing that contained my blocks. I then opened the drawing in TV2010 and from there exported my drawing as a DWF. I don't know why ACAD wouldn't allow me to publish a DWF file but I kept getting "Device not found" when I attempted it.
*Scott Sheppard - Autodesk
Message 3 of 5 (624 Views)

03-16-2010 12:50 PM in reply to: conner717
If you are getting device not found, I suspect your AutoCAD is missing the
DWF6 ePlot pc3 file or it has been renamed.

wrote in message news:6355530@discussion.autodesk.com...
I figured out how to get my symbols into DR but I had to use ACAD2010 to
create a drawing that contained my blocks. I then opened the drawing in
TV2010 and from there exported my drawing as a DWF. I don't know why ACAD
wouldn't allow me to publish a DWF file but I kept getting "Device not
found" when I attempted it.
Valued Contributor
conner717
Message 4 of 5 (624 Views)

03-17-2010 01:50 PM in reply to: conner717
Thank you I will look into that.

I also now have a different question..

Is it possible to add information to a block or something that when viewed in DR you could hover your pointer over it and view the attached attribute information? We want outlet locations to show what room, patch panel and port the outlets goto in the telecomm room.
*Expert Elite*
cbenner
Message 5 of 5 (326 Views)

09-13-2013 11:18 AM in reply to: conner717

Ressurecting this old thread.  I have been trying for hours to export a drawing full of blocks to a dwf, and use them as symbols.  I've done or attempted everything I've been able to find on this forum about the topic.  I have had zero results... well, that's a lie.  I've gotten 4 out of several hundred blocks on a sheet to import as symbols.   :smileyfrustrated:

Can anyone lay out the exact workflow for taking Autocad blocks and using them as symbols in ADR?  I am using 2013.

TIA

ChrisB

ADSK_Expert_Elite_Icon_S_Color_Blk.png

Please use Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution &Give Kudos!Kudos to further enhance the value of these forums. Thank you! :smileyhappy:

http://cbennertipstricks.blogspot.com/

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community