Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composer vs Volo View 3

23 REPLIES 23
Message 1 of 24
AFergusonHI
3671 Views, 23 Replies

Composer vs Volo View 3

Will VV3 be phased out in favor of Composer? Just purchased VV3 for markups - will an upgrade option be available to us?
23 REPLIES 23
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
in reply to: AFergusonHI

If I'm not mistaken, I heard you can upgrade from VV3 to Composer for 49$ US. To purchase Composer new is 99$ as an introductory price and will be 149$ later on... Can sombody from Autodesk confirm this? I would hate to give the wrong information? -- Yours Truly, David Shabat davidshabat73@hotmail.com "AFergusonHI" wrote in message news:400223.1082762363339.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Will VV3 be phased out in favor of Composer? Just purchased VV3 for markups - will an upgrade option be available to us?
Message 3 of 24
Anonymous

I do not work for Autodesk, but that is what I heard too. "David S." wrote in message news:4089da78_2@newsprd01... > If I'm not mistaken, I heard you can upgrade from VV3 to Composer for 49$ > US. To purchase Composer new is 99$ as an introductory price and will be > 149$ later on... > > Can sombody from Autodesk confirm this? I would hate to give the wrong > information?
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous

Hello. Volo View 3 will continue to be available this year, as there are still capabilities that won't be covered by DWF Composer, specifically the viewing of Inventor files. DWF Composer will be the focus for Autodesk moving forward for the review, markup, and revise process.

An upgrade to DWF Composer will be available for Volo View customers. The price will be $49 and will be available from May through July 2004.

Hope this helps.

Doug Look, Product Manager
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 5 of 24
Anonymous

Hi Scott,

Thanks for joining in on the discussion. There will be a $49 upgrade to DWF Composer for Volo View customers in the US from May through July 2004. The suggested retail price for DWF Composer is $199, but with an introductory price right now of $99.

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 6 of 24
Anonymous

David,

See my other posts. Upgrade will be available for Volo View customers from May through July 2004 for $49. Introductory price right now is $99. The full suggested retail price will be $199.

Autodesk, Inc.
Message 7 of 24
Anonymous

Will Inventor file viewing capabilities be included at some time for DWF Composer, or will customers need to have both DWF Composer and VV3? Would it be Autodesk's intention that sometime in the future, a unified viewing/markup product be available? "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message news:25997245.1082820237281.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Hello. Volo View 3 will continue to be available this year, as there are still capabilities that won't be covered by DWF Composer, specifically the viewing of Inventor files. DWF Composer will be the focus for Autodesk moving forward for the review, markup, and revise process. >
Message 8 of 24
Anonymous

I'm guessing where they are heading with this is to create a DWF from your Inventor files and these are what you are going to send to your clients for markup and review. Even with VV3 if you send them the raw Inventor files you are letting out your intellectual property in a form that can easily be stolen. The DWF on the other hand provides some level of protection and doesn't give them the native file format that they can directly pull back into CAD. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "discussion.autodesk.com" wrote in message news:408bd5ab$1_2@newsprd01... > Will Inventor file viewing capabilities be included at some time for DWF > Composer, or will customers need to have both DWF Composer and VV3? Would > it be Autodesk's intention that sometime in the future, a unified > viewing/markup product be available? > > > "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message > news:25997245.1082820237281.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > > Hello. Volo View 3 will continue to be available this year, as there are > still capabilities that won't be covered by DWF Composer, specifically the > viewing of Inventor files. DWF Composer will be the focus for Autodesk > moving forward for the review, markup, and revise process. > > > >
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous

I was actually shocked when DWF Composer announced it had a DWG add-on module. It would have made more sense to keep DWF Composer DWF only. This would place the AutoCAD DWG users in the same boat as the Inventor users - use a DWF to distribute design data. Now that the pussy cat's out of the bag, it will be interesting to see how DWF Composer unfolds. "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message news:408d0f76$1_1@newsprd01... > I'm guessing where they are heading with this is to create a DWF from your > Inventor files and these are what you are going to send to your clients for > markup and review. Even with VV3 if you send them the raw Inventor files > you are letting out your intellectual property in a form that can easily be > stolen. The DWF on the other hand provides some level of protection and > doesn't give them the native file format that they can directly pull back > into CAD.
Message 10 of 24
Anonymous

Scott, What DWG add-on module are you speaking of? The only thing I have seen with composer is a DWG Viewer that is avaible as a seperate program. It allows some one with out ACAD to view, measure & plot to scale a dwg not edit or save as or extract info out of. I haven't seen the final release yet so I don't know for sure. Murph "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:408d15fb$1_3@newsprd01... > I was actually shocked when DWF Composer announced it had a DWG add-on > module. It would have made more sense to keep DWF Composer DWF only. This > would place the AutoCAD DWG users in the same boat as the Inventor users - > use a DWF to distribute design data. Now that the pussy cat's out of the > bag, it will be interesting to see how DWF Composer unfolds. > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > news:408d0f76$1_1@newsprd01... > > I'm guessing where they are heading with this is to create a DWF from your > > Inventor files and these are what you are going to send to your clients > for > > markup and review. Even with VV3 if you send them the raw Inventor files > > you are letting out your intellectual property in a form that can easily > be > > stolen. The DWF on the other hand provides some level of protection and > > doesn't give them the native file format that they can directly pull back > > into CAD. > >
Message 11 of 24
Anonymous

Measuring is not included AFAIK. -- Best Regards, Jimmy Bergmark CAD and Database Developer Manager at www.pharmadule-emtunga.com Take a look at JTB FlexReport (FLEXlm report tool) - www.jtbworld.com/jtbflexreport SmartPurger (Purges automatically) - www.jtbworld.com/?/smartpurger.htm or download some freeware at www.jtbworld.com More on AutoCAD 2005; www.jtbworld.com/autocad2005.htm "Murph" wrote in message news:408d1e3c$1_1@newsprd01... > Scott, > What DWG add-on module are you speaking of? The only thing I have seen with > composer is a DWG Viewer that is avaible as a seperate program. It allows > some one with out ACAD to view, measure & plot to scale a dwg not edit or > save as or extract info out of. I haven't seen the final release yet so I > don't know for sure. > > Murph > > "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message > news:408d15fb$1_3@newsprd01... > > I was actually shocked when DWF Composer announced it had a DWG add-on > > module. It would have made more sense to keep DWF Composer DWF only. This > > would place the AutoCAD DWG users in the same boat as the Inventor users - > > use a DWF to distribute design data. Now that the pussy cat's out of the > > bag, it will be interesting to see how DWF Composer unfolds. > > > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > > news:408d0f76$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I'm guessing where they are heading with this is to create a DWF from > your > > > Inventor files and these are what you are going to send to your clients > > for > > > markup and review. Even with VV3 if you send them the raw Inventor > files > > > you are letting out your intellectual property in a form that can easily > > be > > > stolen. The DWF on the other hand provides some level of protection and > > > doesn't give them the native file format that they can directly pull > back > > > into CAD. > > > > > >
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous

That is what I was referring to. I would have thought DWF Composer would not even have broached the subject of DWG. The world would have been so clean... "Murph" wrote in message news:408d1e3c$1_1@newsprd01... > Scott, > What DWG add-on module are you speaking of? The only thing I have seen with > composer is a DWG Viewer that is avaible as a seperate program. It allows > some one with out ACAD to view, measure & plot to scale a dwg not edit or > save as or extract info out of. I haven't seen the final release yet so I > don't know for sure.
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous

That really surprises me also. I thought the whole idea of DWF was to get away from distributing DWG files and the headaches of future support to view the DWG formats. Not to mention the huge download size of the old Volo View. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message news:408d15fb$1_3@newsprd01... > I was actually shocked when DWF Composer announced it had a DWG add-on > module. It would have made more sense to keep DWF Composer DWF only. This > would place the AutoCAD DWG users in the same boat as the Inventor users - > use a DWF to distribute design data. Now that the pussy cat's out of the > bag, it will be interesting to see how DWF Composer unfolds. > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > news:408d0f76$1_1@newsprd01... > > I'm guessing where they are heading with this is to create a DWF from your > > Inventor files and these are what you are going to send to your clients > for > > markup and review. Even with VV3 if you send them the raw Inventor files > > you are letting out your intellectual property in a form that can easily > be > > stolen. The DWF on the other hand provides some level of protection and > > doesn't give them the native file format that they can directly pull back > > into CAD. > >
Message 14 of 24
Anonymous

My take on the idea of the DWG Viewer is so that those that don't have the CAD background or knowledge can see/view a dwg. Example the CAD guy(s) are out in the field for a day and someone needs to view a set of plans, the office manager can open the dwg in the viewer and click on a print button and have a paper dwg., or those "higher ups" that want to look at what work is being done in the same GUI as ACAD yet now tie up a license of AutoCAD or be able to mess up a dwg because they don't know that the "E" key is the erase command not the Exit command. MHO Murph "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message news:408d6fa9_3@newsprd01... > That really surprises me also. I thought the whole idea of DWF was to get > away from distributing DWG files and the headaches of future support to view > the DWG formats. Not to mention the huge download size of the old Volo > View. > > -- > Rodney McManamy > President > CADzation > ------------------------- > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > ------------------------- > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > McHenry, IL 60050 > www.cadzation.com > Providing Industrial Strength > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > Global CAD Marketplace. > > "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message > news:408d15fb$1_3@newsprd01... > > I was actually shocked when DWF Composer announced it had a DWG add-on > > module. It would have made more sense to keep DWF Composer DWF only. This > > would place the AutoCAD DWG users in the same boat as the Inventor users - > > use a DWF to distribute design data. Now that the pussy cat's out of the > > bag, it will be interesting to see how DWF Composer unfolds. > > > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > > news:408d0f76$1_1@newsprd01... > > > I'm guessing where they are heading with this is to create a DWF from > your > > > Inventor files and these are what you are going to send to your clients > > for > > > markup and review. Even with VV3 if you send them the raw Inventor > files > > > you are letting out your intellectual property in a form that can easily > > be > > > stolen. The DWF on the other hand provides some level of protection and > > > doesn't give them the native file format that they can directly pull > back > > > into CAD. > > > > > >
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous

Great discussion guys! With DWG Viewer, we're just trying to be realistic, as there are still a whole lot of DWG's out there in the world. I agree that moving to DWF for sharing, communicating, and marking up is the right place to go. However there are still a lot of people who are still just now finding out about the value of a published file format like DWF. Hopefully with the introduction of DWF Composer, they will find some positive reasons to switch.
Message 16 of 24
Anonymous

Isn't the main idea behind the DWG Viewer to be able to view AND produce a DWiF from a DWG? QBZ "Doug Look, Autodesk" wrote in message news:5636254.1083029920514.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > Great discussion guys! With DWG Viewer, we're just trying to be realistic, as there are still a whole lot of DWG's out there in the world. I agree that moving to DWF for sharing, communicating, and marking up is the right place to go. However there are still a lot of people who are still just now finding out about the value of a published file format like DWF. Hopefully with the introduction of DWF Composer, they will find some positive reasons to switch.
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous

> Great discussion guys! With DWG Viewer, we're just trying to be realistic, as there are still a whole lot of DWG's out there in the world. I agree that moving to DWF for sharing, communicating, and marking up is the right place to go. However there are still a lot of people who are still just now finding out about the value of a published file format like DWF. Hopefully with the introduction of DWF Composer, they will find some positive reasons to switch. You should never get rid of the DWG viewing capabilities for work flow reasons alone. I don't need to be sold on the advantages of DWF, I'm a big fan, but it just doesn't make sense in a lot of cases. As an example, here we get DWG files sent by customers and architects. Our sales, project managers and estimators use them with VoloView to look at the job, see what's there, print hard copies, etc. There's no need for DWF because our drafters also need the DWG's for producing our shop drawings and ticket drawings for the plants. Because we ultimately do use the DWG (for our drafters) it makes no sense whatsoever to introduce a second file format. This would be a duplication of data and information and something that just doesn't make sense or take advantage of the benefits of proper electronic data practices. The only real question is, will DWF Composer be as efficient as AutoCAD at opening and viewing DWG files. VoloView can often take a considerable amount more time to open the same DWG as AutoCAD or AutoCAD LT. Almost to the point that we prefer to use LT for a viewing application or a networked license of AutoCAD. -- Darren J. Young CAD/CAM Systems Developer Cold Spring Granite Company 202 South Third Avenue Cold Spring, Minnesota 56320 Email: dyoung@coldspringgranite.com Phone: (320) 685-5045 Fax: (320) 685-5052
Message 18 of 24
Anonymous

Darren,
So, you're saying that there's still very good reasons for folks to share their DWG's, especially if they need to continue to edit the native files. I agree, which is why we offer the DWG Viewer as part of the overall solution. DWG's will continue to be part of the overall picture, as they are the source documents and are constantly being worked on.

DWF's can also play a role in the process as a good way of sharing snapshots or published views of that data. At least for some, DWF can be an appropriate way of sharing and communicating data with partners who don't need to actually edit the underlying data, but who need a simple and effective way to add markups and annotations.

The DWG Viewer that ships on the DWF Composer CD should be as efficient as AutoCAD 2005, as it's based on the same technology.

Cold Spring Granite--good product. I've got some Carnelian granite tiles surrounding my fireplace!

--Doug
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous

> So, you're saying that there's still very good reasons for folks to share their DWG's, especially if they need to continue to edit the native files. I agree, which is why we offer the DWG Viewer as part of the overall solution. DWG's will continue to be part of the overall picture, as they are the source documents and are constantly being worked on. Exactly. Not to mention, as much as we'd like to, we rarely have control over what our customers send us. > DWF's can also play a role in the process as a good way of sharing snapshots or published views of that data. At least for some, DWF can be an appropriate way of sharing and communicating data with partners who don't need to actually edit the underlying data, but who need a simple and effective way to add markups and annotations. We're even exploring DWF as a means of long term archiving or historical data for some job types. Light weight. Accessible by everybody. Plus, we're sure to have the graphical integrity of the original document which isn't always the case when calling up DWGs. > The DWG Viewer that ships on the DWF Composer CD should be as efficient as AutoCAD 2005, as it's based on the same technology. I'll have to check it out once it's posted on the ADN web site. I've already notified our IT dept to halt any further VoloView orders until we've got a chance to put DWF composer through the ringer. I don't suppose it will support network licenses. ;-) > Cold Spring Granite--good product. I've got some Carnelian granite tiles surrounding my fireplace! From our South Dakota quarry. I'm curious as to how you purchased your tile? Was it through a distributor? Our Granite Mountain Stone Design showroom? etc. -- Darren J. Young CAD/CAM Systems Developer Cold Spring Granite Company 202 South Third Avenue Cold Spring, Minnesota 56320 Email: dyoung@coldspringgranite.com Phone: (320) 685-5045 Fax: (320) 685-5052
Message 20 of 24
Anonymous

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report