Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Composer and Viewer is slow with data

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
Anonymous
343 Views, 19 Replies

Composer and Viewer is slow with data

I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects and when I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes before I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this on different computers and get the same result on every machine.
The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb memory for this!! What is the problem??
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Could you please send the DWF my way and I'll see what's going on. Thanks, "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects and when I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes before I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this on different computers and get the same result on every machine. > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb memory for this!! What is the problem??
Message 3 of 20
Anonymous

Do you have embeded raster images in the DWF? The current DWF viewer is not exactly fast when it comes to anything with embeded raster images in it. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects and when I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes before I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this on different computers and get the same result on every machine. > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb memory for this!! What is the problem??
Message 4 of 20
Anonymous

No ! There is only vector data in the drawing and the attached data!
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous

Hi there! Thanks for a fast respons to my problem!
Here is a file! It is half the size (112 kb) and I get the same result except Composer does not consume as much memory and it takes approx 1 minute and 15 seconds before I can select objects in the drawing. It open very smoothly but It is when I push the Selector button it starts to process something that take a very long time.

/Stefan
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous

Some info about my machine!!
Intel Pentium4 2.2 mHz
1 gig RAM
ATI FIRE GL 9000 graphic card with 64 mb memory
Message 7 of 20
Anonymous

Here comes an another drawing that you can test...
Message 8 of 20
Anonymous

It looks like your file also has a lot of property information on the objects. This is the reason these files are so slow to load. The next release of DWF Viewer will address some of the speed in loading these files. Also, you could also look at including less information (if the application you are outputting from allows you to). "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message news:7572294.1087454146458.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1... > No ! There is only vector data in the drawing and the attached data!
Message 9 of 20
Anonymous

I just tested both your samples on mine and it takes about 3 seconds each to open in Composer. I have build version 1.0.0.2161 HP 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Laptop 512 MB memory And the options in Composer are set to the defaults. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects and when I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes before I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this on different computers and get the same result on every machine. > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb memory for this!! What is the problem??
Message 10 of 20
Anonymous

They both opened fairly quick for me also, BUT selecting an object is slowwwwwwwwwwww. I ended up cancelling out with the big X. Murph "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message news:40d1f4c1_1@newsprd01... > I just tested both your samples on mine and it takes about 3 seconds each to > open in Composer. I have build version 1.0.0.2161 > > HP 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Laptop > 512 MB memory > > And the options in Composer are set to the defaults. > > -- > Rodney McManamy > President > CADzation > ------------------------- > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > ------------------------- > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > McHenry, IL 60050 > www.cadzation.com > Providing Industrial Strength > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > Global CAD Marketplace. > > "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message > news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects and when > I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes before > I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this on > different computers and get the same result on every machine. > > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb memory > for this!! What is the problem?? > >
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous

You're not kidding on that one. Ouch. We're investing pretty heavily in supporting the DWF and I guess I've never once tried to select an item in a file that large to see what it would do. That's worse than the image display. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Murph" wrote in message news:40d1f851_3@newsprd01... > They both opened fairly quick for me also, BUT selecting an object is > slowwwwwwwwwwww. > I ended up cancelling out with the big X. > > Murph > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > news:40d1f4c1_1@newsprd01... > > I just tested both your samples on mine and it takes about 3 seconds each > to > > open in Composer. I have build version 1.0.0.2161 > > > > HP 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Laptop > > 512 MB memory > > > > And the options in Composer are set to the defaults. > > > > -- > > Rodney McManamy > > President > > CADzation > > ------------------------- > > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > > ------------------------- > > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > > McHenry, IL 60050 > > www.cadzation.com > > Providing Industrial Strength > > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > > Global CAD Marketplace. > > > > "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message > > news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects and > when > > I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes > before > > I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this on > > different computers and get the same result on every machine. > > > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb memory > > for this!! What is the problem?? > > > > > >
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous

The next release of DWF Viewer has some performance enhancements to deal with this large of data better. "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message news:40d207e0_3@newsprd01... > You're not kidding on that one. Ouch. We're investing pretty heavily in > supporting the DWF and I guess I've never once tried to select an item in a > file that large to see what it would do. That's worse than the image > display. > > -- > Rodney McManamy > President > CADzation > ------------------------- > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > ------------------------- > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > McHenry, IL 60050 > www.cadzation.com > Providing Industrial Strength > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > Global CAD Marketplace. > > "Murph" wrote in message > news:40d1f851_3@newsprd01... > > They both opened fairly quick for me also, BUT selecting an object is > > slowwwwwwwwwwww. > > I ended up cancelling out with the big X. > > > > Murph > > > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > > news:40d1f4c1_1@newsprd01... > > > I just tested both your samples on mine and it takes about 3 seconds > each > > to > > > open in Composer. I have build version 1.0.0.2161 > > > > > > HP 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Laptop > > > 512 MB memory > > > > > > And the options in Composer are set to the defaults. > > > > > > -- > > > Rodney McManamy > > > President > > > CADzation > > > ------------------------- > > > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > > > ------------------------- > > > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > > > McHenry, IL 60050 > > > www.cadzation.com > > > Providing Industrial Strength > > > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > > > Global CAD Marketplace. > > > > > > "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message > > > news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects and > > when > > > I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes > > before > > > I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this on > > > different computers and get the same result on every machine. > > > > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb > memory > > > for this!! What is the problem?? > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous

I think Stefan and I had the same idea, use DWF as a GIS tool/viewer with data attached to entities. It works great on a small drawing with a few circles and lines but to a whole map with hundreds of objects with data attached, no way...Not only do you have time to get a cup of coffee but you can wait for a fresh pot to brew and enjoy the coffee while catching up on CNN News. Worst than the old wait on opening dwgs from R12 to R13. Murph "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message news:40d207e0_3@newsprd01... > You're not kidding on that one. Ouch. We're investing pretty heavily in > supporting the DWF and I guess I've never once tried to select an item in a > file that large to see what it would do. That's worse than the image > display. > > -- > Rodney McManamy > President > CADzation > ------------------------- > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > -------------------------
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous

The first time you mash the select tool, the viewer has to materialize an XML file containing all of the object properties. Depending on how you publish it, you could end up with 20Mb of XML data (per page!), which is what is taking so long to read in. Like John mentioned earlier, try to avoid selecting all of the property sets when publishing object properties out of ADT. "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message news:40d207e0_3@newsprd01... > You're not kidding on that one. Ouch. We're investing pretty heavily in > supporting the DWF and I guess I've never once tried to select an item in a > file that large to see what it would do. That's worse than the image > display. > > -- > Rodney McManamy > President > CADzation > ------------------------- > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > ------------------------- > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > McHenry, IL 60050 > www.cadzation.com > Providing Industrial Strength > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > Global CAD Marketplace. > > "Murph" wrote in message > news:40d1f851_3@newsprd01... > > They both opened fairly quick for me also, BUT selecting an object is > > slowwwwwwwwwwww. > > I ended up cancelling out with the big X. > > > > Murph > > > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > > news:40d1f4c1_1@newsprd01... > > > I just tested both your samples on mine and it takes about 3 seconds > each > > to > > > open in Composer. I have build version 1.0.0.2161 > > > > > > HP 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Laptop > > > 512 MB memory > > > > > > And the options in Composer are set to the defaults. > > > > > > -- > > > Rodney McManamy > > > President > > > CADzation > > > ------------------------- > > > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > > > ------------------------- > > > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > > > McHenry, IL 60050 > > > www.cadzation.com > > > Providing Industrial Strength > > > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > > > Global CAD Marketplace. > > > > > > "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message > > > news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects and > > when > > > I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes > > before > > > I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this on > > > different computers and get the same result on every machine. > > > > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb > memory > > > for this!! What is the problem?? > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 15 of 20
Anonymous

Jeffrey, Any chance of getting an option to where it doesn't do that? Sure it would take longer when you select an object to find the properties but I've heard quite a bit of interest from the GIS side of things in DWF and I imagine one of the main reasons is for the properties that can be attached. Or if it can only build up for the objects that are visible that would normallly cut it in at least 1/4 if not more since normally they would have to be zoomed in to select something. -- Rodney McManamy President CADzation ------------------------- rmcmanamy@cadzation.com ------------------------- 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 McHenry, IL 60050 www.cadzation.com Providing Industrial Strength PDF & DWF Solutions to the Global CAD Marketplace. "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40d2272b$1_1@newsprd01... > The first time you mash the select tool, the viewer has to materialize an > XML file containing all of the object properties. Depending on how you > publish it, you could end up with 20Mb of XML data (per page!), which is > what is taking so long to read in. Like John mentioned earlier, try to > avoid selecting all of the property sets when publishing object properties > out of ADT. > > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > news:40d207e0_3@newsprd01... > > You're not kidding on that one. Ouch. We're investing pretty heavily in > > supporting the DWF and I guess I've never once tried to select an item in > a > > file that large to see what it would do. That's worse than the image > > display. > > > > -- > > Rodney McManamy > > President > > CADzation > > ------------------------- > > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > > ------------------------- > > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > > McHenry, IL 60050 > > www.cadzation.com > > Providing Industrial Strength > > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > > Global CAD Marketplace. > > > > "Murph" wrote in message > > news:40d1f851_3@newsprd01... > > > They both opened fairly quick for me also, BUT selecting an object is > > > slowwwwwwwwwwww. > > > I ended up cancelling out with the big X. > > > > > > Murph > > > > > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > > > news:40d1f4c1_1@newsprd01... > > > > I just tested both your samples on mine and it takes about 3 seconds > > each > > > to > > > > open in Composer. I have build version 1.0.0.2161 > > > > > > > > HP 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Laptop > > > > 512 MB memory > > > > > > > > And the options in Composer are set to the defaults. > > > > > > > > -- > > > > Rodney McManamy > > > > President > > > > CADzation > > > > ------------------------- > > > > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > > > > ------------------------- > > > > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > > > > McHenry, IL 60050 > > > > www.cadzation.com > > > > Providing Industrial Strength > > > > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > > > > Global CAD Marketplace. > > > > > > > > "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message > > > > news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > > > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects > and > > > when > > > > I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 minutes > > > before > > > > I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested this > on > > > > different computers and get the same result on every machine. > > > > > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb > > memory > > > > for this!! What is the problem?? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous

That is my problem!
It opens quickly and it´s no problem zooming and panning but when I want to select an object my machine goes down in a big swamp of mud and for a minute or two my processor have to do twice as much than i did last week...
The propertie data is what we want because these drawing are intended for those municipality employee in Umeå that is checking out the water/sewer pipes etc i Umeå. They bring the drawings on a Laptop and they need to know the data about each pipe.
I hope you can fix this for us...

/Stefan
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous

In an upcoming release, we are retooling the XML reading and the performance will not be an issue. Folks will just have to bear with us until then. "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message news:40d22f76$1_2@newsprd01... > Jeffrey, > > Any chance of getting an option to where it doesn't do that? Sure it would > take longer when you select an object to find the properties but I've heard > quite a bit of interest from the GIS side of things in DWF and I imagine one > of the main reasons is for the properties that can be attached. > > Or if it can only build up for the objects that are visible that would > normallly cut it in at least 1/4 if not more since normally they would have > to be zoomed in to select something. > > -- > Rodney McManamy > President > CADzation > ------------------------- > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > ------------------------- > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > McHenry, IL 60050 > www.cadzation.com > Providing Industrial Strength > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > Global CAD Marketplace. > > "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote > in message news:40d2272b$1_1@newsprd01... > > The first time you mash the select tool, the viewer has to materialize an > > XML file containing all of the object properties. Depending on how you > > publish it, you could end up with 20Mb of XML data (per page!), which is > > what is taking so long to read in. Like John mentioned earlier, try to > > avoid selecting all of the property sets when publishing object properties > > out of ADT. > > > > > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in message > > news:40d207e0_3@newsprd01... > > > You're not kidding on that one. Ouch. We're investing pretty heavily > in > > > supporting the DWF and I guess I've never once tried to select an item > in > > a > > > file that large to see what it would do. That's worse than the image > > > display. > > > > > > -- > > > Rodney McManamy > > > President > > > CADzation > > > ------------------------- > > > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > > > ------------------------- > > > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > > > McHenry, IL 60050 > > > www.cadzation.com > > > Providing Industrial Strength > > > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > > > Global CAD Marketplace. > > > > > > "Murph" wrote in message > > > news:40d1f851_3@newsprd01... > > > > They both opened fairly quick for me also, BUT selecting an object is > > > > slowwwwwwwwwwww. > > > > I ended up cancelling out with the big X. > > > > > > > > Murph > > > > > > > > "Rodney McManamy - CADzation" wrote in > message > > > > news:40d1f4c1_1@newsprd01... > > > > > I just tested both your samples on mine and it takes about 3 seconds > > > each > > > > to > > > > > open in Composer. I have build version 1.0.0.2161 > > > > > > > > > > HP 2.4 ghz Pentium 4 Laptop > > > > > 512 MB memory > > > > > > > > > > And the options in Composer are set to the defaults. > > > > > > > > > > -- > > > > > Rodney McManamy > > > > > President > > > > > CADzation > > > > > ------------------------- > > > > > rmcmanamy@cadzation.com > > > > > ------------------------- > > > > > 518 South Route 31 Suite 200 > > > > > McHenry, IL 60050 > > > > > www.cadzation.com > > > > > Providing Industrial Strength > > > > > PDF & DWF Solutions to the > > > > > Global CAD Marketplace. > > > > > > > > > > "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message > > > > > news:11694471.1087379726568.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum1.autodesk.com... > > > > > > I have Published a MAP drawing with datalinks attached to objects > > and > > > > when > > > > > I open the DWF file in Composer or Viewer it can take up to 2 > minutes > > > > before > > > > > I can select an object and read the attached data. I have tested > this > > on > > > > > different computers and get the same result on every machine. > > > > > > The DWF file is approx 250 kb and Composer consumes nearly 500 mb > > > memory > > > > > for this!! What is the problem?? > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 18 of 20
Anonymous

Fine with me, at least it's being worked on. Do you really want me to "bear" it? I think Anne might get a little upset. Murph "Jeffrey Klug (Autodesk, Inc.)" wrote in message news:40d3049a$1_1@newsprd01... > In an upcoming release, we are retooling the XML reading and the performance > will not be an issue. Folks will just have to bear with us until then. >
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous

That's ok if this new release fixes the performance problem!
What is the timeperspective? Can we try a beta soon?
Message 20 of 20
Anonymous

The beta program for the next release of DWF Viewer is underway. You can join at http://betaprograms.autodesk.com/betaweb.htm "Stefan Lindberg" wrote in message news:30816273.1087895684427.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > That's ok if this new release fixes the performance problem! > What is the timeperspective? Can we try a beta soon?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report