Design Review
Welcome to Autodesk’s Design Review Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Design Review topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Design Review corrupt file

28 REPLIES 28
Message 1 of 29
aljar7
5405 Views, 28 Replies

Autodesk Design Review corrupt file

I'm getting the message "Your current version of Design Review does not support files of this type".
I've read through previous threads and didn't quite get a solution. Can someone help on this?
28 REPLIES 28
Message 2 of 29
DorisSong
in reply to: aljar7

Thank you for your question.

Please open 'Open File' dialog to check whether your file type is supported by Design Review? If yes then please attach the file to this thread for us to investigate in more detail.

Thanks.

Doris Song
Message 3 of 29
JohnFoster

Hi, I am having this same problem, I have installed a fresh download and upgraded to DR 2011 and it will not open .dwf files I have tried several other options for fixes that I have found on your forum but no resolution, I have tried to open many different .dwf files from different third party resources and that I know previously opened before, using an older version, but the error keeps popping up, reload of the OS is not an option at this time, is there any fix for this yet?

Regards

John
Message 4 of 29
Anonymous

Can you send me the DWF file in question. I would like to see if it is
corrupt or not.

wrote in message news:6392331@discussion.autodesk.com...
Hi, I am having this same problem, I have installed a fresh download and
upgraded to DR 2011 and it will not open .dwf files I have tried several
other options for fixes that I have found on your forum but no resolution, I
have tried to open many different .dwf files from different third party
resources and that I know previously opened before, using an older version,
but the error keeps popping up, reload of the OS is not an option at this
time, is there any fix for this yet?

Regards

John
Message 5 of 29
pkimmons

We are actually having 2 different issues.

1. DR2011 is corrupting files. It's fairly random, it seems, of course tagging the user down to tell us exactly what they did is a little difficult. Most of the time, it's when they are saving....DR2011 will crash, and then the file is corrupted.

2. Installed DR2011 from the exe. After 3 weeks, it stopped working. I uninstalled using http://discussion.autodesk.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=770368&tstart=15 instructions. Reinstalled from and Image of DR2011 that I made from the CD. DR2011 starts working again.

One week later, starts crashing again. See attached file.

We are working to get a specific set of instructions from the user to see if we can recreate. Our users just click around without thinking, sometimes...so hard to tag them down on a specific "I clicked this and that".
Message 6 of 29
pkimmons

This is the steps the user takes..

1. Locate drawing in *ournetworklocation* (read only location).

2. Right click on base drawing # (ourpn, -11 does not have customer drawing, have to use base drawing #)

3. Select open with Autodesk DWF Application.

4. Once opened in the “Markup and Measure” tab, using the “Circle Callout” from the “Callouts” section.

5. Begin to add QC’s (Circle Callouts) to designated dimensions.

6. Once complete, the file will be saved to *ournetworklocation* (edit rights for the user) it will be saved as a DWF file, and have the appropriate dash # applied to the end for part # designation (ourpn -11, since it is now part # specific.)

It's during the Save As portion that we will get the error message, and the file will become corrupted, and if you attempt to reopen the file, DR2011 will crash, no matter what drawing you open after that.
Message 7 of 29
pkimmons

Here is the 2nd error message.
Message 8 of 29
mjung

We just started getting messages just like this on two of our PC's. Hitting Ignore multiple times the program will start and we can open a dwf with random errors popping up. So apparently this isn't an isolated incident. Something has changed somewhere.....if only we knew where to look?

Civil 3D 2024 / Windows 11 Pro (64bit)
Intel Core I7 @3.30GHz / 32gig RAM / NVIDIA Quadro K2200
Message 9 of 29
pkimmons

This is no longer a read only thing. The user had copied the original read only file to a directory where he has edit rights. (copy inherits the permissions of the folder, cut will bring original permissions). Upon opening the file, it gave these errors, and now he can't open any file.

Doing a full uninstall, reinstall does work, however we are now doing this on a daily basis.

This is what I found in his event viewer:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Error
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 6/1/2010
Time: 8:24:19 AM
User: N/A
Computer: WS170
Description:
Faulting application designreview.exe, version 11.0.0.86, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, fault address 0x00012afb.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74 Applicat
0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c ion Fail
0010: 75 72 65 20 20 64 65 73 ure des
0018: 69 67 6e 72 65 76 69 65 ignrevie
0020: 77 2e 65 78 65 20 31 31 w.exe 11
0028: 2e 30 2e 30 2e 38 36 20 .0.0.86
0030: 69 6e 20 6b 65 72 6e 65 in kerne
0038: 6c 33 32 2e 64 6c 6c 20 l32.dll
0040: 35 2e 31 2e 32 36 30 30 5.1.2600
0048: 2e 35 37 38 31 20 61 74 .5781 at
0050: 20 6f 66 66 73 65 74 20 offset
0058: 30 30 30 31 32 61 66 62 00012afb
0060: 0d 0a .. Edited by: pkimmons@maynardinc.us on Jun 1, 2010 4:49 PM
Message 10 of 29
pkimmons

I attached the .dmp file, and I also noticed that 1 minute before this happened, there was a text file that showed up...see attached.
Message 11 of 29
pkimmons
in reply to: pkimmons

This is still happening. 

If a user opens a pdf file in ADR from a location that is read only, and then attempts to markup this pdf and save it as a dwf the resulting dwf file is 0-2kb in size. 

If any user attempts to open that dwf file, the software will crash (errors listed above) and it takes an entire uninstall/reinstall of ADR.

We have multiple users experiencing this issue, and our work around is to copy the file to a location that the user can edit, and then mark up the file. That's not a work around that we can do forever. All it takes is one user forgetting that they can't markup a read only file (even if they open it as read only, mark up then 'save as' and try to save to an editable location, the resulting dwf file is still corrupted....and the next person that opens that dwf file will crash their software too, to the point it requires a full uninstall/reinstall). 

Attached is the dmp file...renamed to txt since it appears that .dmp files are not accepted on here. 

Message 12 of 29
pkimmons

Today the user copied a 10 page pdf file to an editable location. 

User went to windows explorer, right clicked on the editable file, open - autodesk

The file opened just fine. 

User tried to print the file, and it gave those error messages posted previously. 

Attached are the dump files. 

Message 13 of 29
herbert.he

Thank you for reporting this issue.

Please follow the steps below to solve this issue.

1. Start the Windows Registry Editor (regedit.exe) and perform the necessary steps for your operating system.

On XP computers,
2. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\Design Review\Preferences\MRUList\" and delete all these 'MRL*' entries.

On Vista and Windows 7 computers,
2. Navigate to "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AppDataLow\Software\Au todesk\Design Review\Preferences\MRUList" and delete all these 'MRL*' entries.

3. Exit the Registry Editor.

Please let us know if these worked for you.

Herbert He
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 14 of 29
pkimmons
in reply to: herbert.he

Do we do these steps instead of the uninstall, reinstall? 

Message 15 of 29
ssnead123

I'm getting the same message, when trying to open "read-only" drawings. I only have the free download of the viewer and Design Review (2010) and only some files get this message.

I deleted the MRL files as listed about, but it does not change the message? Could it be the files themselves that are corrupt (they do not belong to me, I am accessing them off of a directory website) or is it the Design Viewer software?

I appreciate your help!

Message 16 of 29
BobbyC.Jones

Several of our machines just started getting a similar message this afternoon, 2 Win7x64 boxes and 1 XP box.  One of the DWF files was corrupted after closing DR.  I'm checking with our IT group to see if they pushed out any software updates.

--
Bobby C. Jones
Message 17 of 29
pkimmons
in reply to: BobbyC.Jones

The only thing that has seemed to help is something that we received from our reseller: Right mouse click on the dwf file from a explore window and choose open with internet explorer (must be ie7 or higher) . 

This seems to be the alternate to opening the file directly. 

I also told them to stop using ADR for printing PDF's, as that was another cause to the crashing. 

Just make sure to tell your people to look at the file size of the dwf before attempting to open. Anyone that attempts to open a dwf file that is 0-4kb in size, it will crash their ADR also, and you will have to do the clean uninstall/reinstall to get both work stations running. 

I'm curious to when the other people that have reported this when they installed their ADR (after release) the first time around. We went for almost 2 months before the problem appeared....

Message 18 of 29
herbert.he
in reply to: ssnead123

Hi ssnead123,

What's the message you got?

Is it "Your current version of Design Review does not support files of this type"? Or messages that pkimmons posted above?

There're different issues. My reply above was for the later.

Herbert He
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 19 of 29
herbert.he
in reply to: BobbyC.Jones

Hi Jones,

Can you send me that corrupted DWF file for further investigation?

Herbert He
SW Engineer
PSEB-GE- ACRD PSEB
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 20 of 29
pkimmons
in reply to: herbert.he

I would except they are ITAR files, so we would have to go thru a bunch of steps to get clearance. It is recreatable with any PDF that is opened from a read only location on the network by using the double click in Windows Explorer. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report