DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewing .DWF files in browser

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
abyssblades
6449 Views, 11 Replies

Viewing .DWF files in browser

Basicly, i used to be able to just open the file and it would display in my browser. Now all i get is a gray square (in chrome) and a message in IE saying that the application required is not installed. Now since i have also tried Firefox and Safari. None of the browsers actually display the file at all. 

Of course, any file saved to the desktop can be opened in DWG trueview but nothing in the browser opens.

I currently have tried downloaded the installation files from autocad along with the browser extesion (not sure why it installs 2013 but w.e)... i also tried installed DWG trueview 2015 but still no go.

This is really important to get up and running for me.

Running Windows 8.1. Brand new PC.

Any help would be really appreaciated.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
robincapperw
in reply to: abyssblades

Hi,

DWG TrueView does not view .DWF files. Autodesk Design Review works as stand-alone software and a browser plug-in to vew web based dwfs

Autodesk have 'frozen' Autodesk Design Review at version 2013. You can install that from this page without breaking any newer Autodesk installs

http://www.autodesk.com/designreview

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
RobiNZ CAD Blog | LinkedIn
Message 3 of 12
abyssblades

Ya, it's strange. I have it working on my other pc but this particular one
stumps me.

So that's what I thought. There must be something wrong with this machine.
Surprising because its brand new! Well I'm off to scan for malware or
something then.

Thanks!

Jesse Gelineau

Commercial Sales and Service

Jesse.Gelineau@TheComputerDr.ca

Tel: 613-443-3822

778 Notre-Dame
Embrun, Ontario
K0A 1W1
Message 4 of 12
robincapperw

One thought, did you install from the web direct, downloaded msi or the exe bundle?

If web or msi wonder if windows 8.1 needs some older support files. The large ~740mb exe download has all the support files (like .net, c++ etc) required and will install any that are missing.

You can get the exe from this deploy page

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/item?siteID=123112&id=10336080

Robin
Autodesk AEC Collection 2020 - PC: HP Z6 | Win 10 64 | Xeon 3014 | 64 GB ram | Quadro P5000 - Tablet: Surface 3 Pro i5-4300u | Win 10 Ent 1703 64 | 8GB ram - Phone: Samsung S21 Ultra | Android 11
Message 5 of 12
abyssblades
in reply to: robincapperw

I tried from the Web. I will try your EXE in the link you provide and update with details tomorrow.

Your help is very much appreciated. 🙂

-Jesse

Message 6 of 12
abyssblades

So i tried the full exe...

Still same problem.. cant open it in any browser and now IE says "The DWF viewing component needed to open this file is not installed. Would you like to open a web page where it can be downloaded?"

Which just brings me back to the original site where i downloaded and installed the viewer + browser addon..

Im so confused!!! why is it only this machine?!

Message 7 of 12
pendean

Win8.1 is not a supported OS: rumors of an update/tweak for ADR2013 may be what you need, so until that is resolved you are pretty much out of luck with this software option sadly. if you only want an autodesk solution, explore Autodesk360 on the web.
Message 8 of 12
abyssblades

That's strange as it works on both other windows 8.1 units I own.

Thanks a lot for the support guys. I'll keep trying.

Jesse Gelineau

778 Notre-Dame
Embrun, Ontario
K0A 1W1
Message 9 of 12
wschrock
in reply to: pendean

Is this still the case? DWF viewing in IE11 on Windows 8.1 is not supported. If so what are the alternatives for Win 8.1?

Message 10 of 12
abyssblades
in reply to: pendean

So far, I still have no work around for the particular system in question.
(even though it works on some 8.1 installs??)

I had no choice but to advise my clients to move to Autocad360 in order to
cooperate changing technology, but that's never a satisfying solution as far
as I'm concerned :(.

Jesse Gelineau

778 Notre-Dame
Embrun, Ontario
K0A 1W1
Message 11 of 12
robincapperw

Jessie,

Heading the same way but DWF on 360 is so inferior to Autodesk Design Review it's still not a viable replacement. Really sad to see Autodesk depreciate their own technology before being able to offer a viable alternative to the workflows it supported.

Robin
Message 12 of 12
pendean
in reply to: robincapperw

Autodesk currently has several PDF Workflow questionnaires out there: if reading between the lines is any indication, it appears they are headed in that direction and giving up on amply immediate DWF revamps.

Looks for them and see for yourself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report