DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unit of measure

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
rjaneiro
74719 Views, 13 Replies

Unit of measure

The drawing that I am viewing using DWG TrueView provides dimension in feet and inches when measure objects.  Is there a way to have the measures provided in metric / millimeters?

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
toadoftoadhall
in reply to: rjaneiro

over 300 hundred views and no replies. I guess there is lots of interest, but no solution.

toad

Message 3 of 14
pendean
in reply to: toadoftoadhall

The file creator controls all aspects of the file: not much you can do in the viewer except view it as created.

To change units, the file must be scaled first, unless you want to endlessly do the math: AutoCAD works with "units", a generic measurement that can be inches, mm, meters, or even lightyear and are not interchangeable with a button or switch. The file creator, or anyone able to change the file (not the viewer) must scale to redefine "units".

Message 4 of 14
sorpic

Is there any possibility to see in viewer which are the units the measurements are done (cm, inch, m, etc)? Thanks

Message 5 of 14
pendean
in reply to: sorpic

Measure a known distance and compare it with what the program reports.
Message 6 of 14
Scott.Schulte
in reply to: pendean

I have a similar situation. I was sent a DXF that I need to get some measurements from. It says 770.10 with no units. I cant believe Autodesk programmers would make such a rank amateur mistake of not including measurement units in a viewer. On top of that if you put measurement units in help it says they can be changed but does not say how.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 7 of 14
pendean
in reply to: Scott.Schulte

In the free viewer ou need to ask the DXF file creator what a "unit" is supposed to be, then you'll understand what the770.10 measurement is all about.

In non-free software, or proper CAD program (free or purchased) you get more control and can manipulate these things better.

Get the right tool to do the right job my friend.
Message 8 of 14
DENNISBRUCE2955

No need to be snarky, your the expert, right?  It's not inconceivable for someone to expect the ability of the application to know what units it is in and be able to change the displayed units. There are other free CAD viewers that do that very thing. The flaw of the TRUEVIEW is that is does not pick up what the displayed units are from Autocad ddunits. I tried to go back to the drawing and verify what the units were, and guess what, TRUEVIEW did not choose the displayed units, but, my guess, is what it was originally created in. It seems that I will need to use another CAD software, free by the way, to get the measurements in the proper units, I don't have to time to convert between feet/inches and metric.

Message 9 of 14
pendean
in reply to: DENNISBRUCE2955

Nothing "snarky" in my reply: you only read it that way. I type in a factual no-emotions style.

No flaws: This viewer only does what it does by design: other viewers may do more and if that is a need you might want to explore tham. I do know many firms opt for free Autocad-like CAD programs to use as viewers when then need to edit a file like that. Perhaps you need to be using the same. I like one called DraftSight.
Message 10 of 14
aabuhena1

Usually the default is mm.

Message 11 of 14
eobet

I'm having to open and convert some DWG files in Autodesk DWG TrueView 2019, and I also cannot figure out how to get the measure tool to report in metric rather than feet.

So, is it really now almost a decade later and the app still doesn't support this?

Message 12 of 14
BIG_DAHEEY

Your reply was snarky, full of innuendos. I use AutoCad, but my checker uses the viewer. Some of our install/permit/approval drawings are in metric, the rest are in standard. All of our shop drawings on the parts we fabricate are in English standard fractional, every so often we use decimal on roll former. Instead of him pulling a dimension and having the ability to dual dimension with units of his choosing, he has to take the mm and put it in a spreadsheet that take a mm measurement and turns it into a English decimal and fraction equivalent.

no need in rude replies expert!

Message 13 of 14
pendean
in reply to: BIG_DAHEEY

The viewer remains limited in its abilities, if you wish to suggest changes you can do so where Autodesk pays attention over here https://www.autodesk.com/company/contact-us/product-feedback

Message 14 of 14
tom.odonnell81

Our company uses Autocad for our engineering team but doesn't pay for Sales engineers.  I too bought Draftsight out of my own pocket so I can manipulate the dimensions easily and also frame my measurements.  Worth every penny since Autocad light is like $600-$700/yr.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums