DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi user useage....

22 REPLIES 22
Message 1 of 23
ictservices
6498 Views, 22 Replies

Multi user useage....

Hello folks,

I am having to post here as currently there is no support group for DWGTrueView. We are using mapguide at present with no problems....trueview is being used in conjunction with this though (this has also been posted on the DWFViewer discussion log too so just ignor if you have dealt with it allready).

I downloaded the DWGTrueview as we required a piece of software to view drwaings that have been created for us to do with new housing developments. Being a not for proffit organisation, we cannot justify the expense of getting the full blown version.

I read the EULA which indicated that using the software over a network would be fine, so i proceeded to install it on our Terminal Server (windows 2000 server advanced) machines. After installation, i checked that the software was working correctly which it was.

Job's a good one i thought....WRONG!! It works fine when logged in as an administrator but when logged in as a general user, a whole bunch of errors appear. It will then refuse to work needing to be ended using task manager. I believe that the problem could be sorted out using a shared folder and by changing some of the registry settings to use things like %programfiles% and %username% and directing them to the shared folder but figguring out which reg keys i need to change is darn near impossible.

Any boffins out there that could help?? There are no support forums or technicians that you can talk to about this so this is my last hope

Thanks if you can help

Kind Regards
Rob
22 REPLIES 22
Message 2 of 23
Anonymous
in reply to: ictservices

I'm having exactly the same problem with it right now. Works fine as an administrator but when you log on as a general user it goes bonkers.

I'm guessing it goes through some sort of "run once" routine for each user. This tries to set up folders in a couple of spots:
[system drive]:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG Truview2\R2\enu
AND
[system drive]:\Documents and Settings\[Username]\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG Truview2\R2\enu

Neither of which it's able to do properly because our thin client users don't have administrative or power user rights. (nor will they ever get them)

I'm a bit further ahead than you though. I can actually get it to come up on a user's desktop and open/view/print files. You can just continue through the "blah blah did not install correctly blah blah" dialog and click OK for the path / font errors that show up when you try to open a file.

What I'm finding is that somehow the default "unnamed profile" that creates is trying to access paths as setup by the admin install. i.e. it's substituting the account name I used as an admin to install it on the server, when it should be using the user's account name.

I tried to tweak the registry to get it to the right paths, but any changes you make get crushed by the "run once" routine. Well, that and it seems like the paths are stored in a billion and one places.

The problem is once you're in as UserName (or Admin for that matter) you can't change the default profile "unnamed profile". Ermm, well you CAN change the paths. They just don't take effect. It also tries to do the "run once" thing everytime you close and re-open the app, which resets any changes you made back to the default unreachable paths.

It's usable I guess. Just annoying for my end-users to have to go through the hassle of clicking error boxes when they first access the application each day.

This whole Windows compliance and storing this stuff in the registry bites. It's a pain in the keester for admins. Give me an. ini file where I can set server-centric defaults for file locations and I'll be happy. =P

TrueView would be a great product, but the lack of enterprise support is really hurting it, AND it's slowing my deployment to 2006 because I can't have my designers creating files that purchasing/manufacturing/QC can't access.
Message 3 of 23
ictservices

yes i have also noticed this (default user reg key, files installed in the installation users docs and settings directory etc)....

I have installed it on a full client machine and didn't get the error messages that i recieved on the T/S (windows 2000 server advanced) machine when opening the software....but thats all it will do...open the software. Try opening a file or anything else like that and the darn thing just locks up on you to the point were you have to end task.

I have experimented with shared folders and using %username% etc instead of direct name mapping but to no avail. Also i have granted permission to Power User level to each of the installation directories/Reg Keys that i can find for DWGTV and still no joy.

It's a shame really that such a useful tool could be completely scuppered by such a rudimentary issue. Does anyone else know of another tool that is as easy to use as DWGTrueview that will work on ts or multiuser full clients that is also free?? I am getting rather desparate for a solution being a not for proffit organisation, we are stuck untill we find a 'cost affective' solution.

Thanks for any help offered

Kind Regards
Rob
Message 4 of 23
Anonymous

You need to disable the Digital Signature Icons to prevent the lockup situation.

1. Log in as the server admin.
2. Right click on the TrueView 2 Icon and select "Enable/Disable Digital Signature Icons"
3. Uncheck the box beside "Validate digital signatures and display special icons"
4. Reboot the server. (Yes, you have to reboot it. Logging off and logging back in will not do it)

That's another PITA setting that I wish Autodesk would optional during the install.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous

About the last bit...

There's a number of other viewers out there that work pretty well. All the one's I've seen are also have tiny resource requirements when compared to trueview...

Brava Viewer is a totally free viewer that works nicely, for viewing only. You have to upgrade it if you want printing capabilities. I haven't found a viewer that offers printing capabilities for free.
Message 6 of 23
cadsysmgr

Not sure how it works now for Printing since I have not looked at it for a while. Did you try the free Bentley View?
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous

Wasn't aware of Bentley View. Downloaded it and installed it on my local PC. Works pretty well. The UI's a bit clunky but printed output is good.

Far as I can tell, their EULA (as I read it) prohibits terminal server installs for BV, unless you're a Bentley Select customer. I was unable to see anything on their site that really explained what a Select customer is, or how to become one, but I have a feeling it means a yearly subscription fee. No thanks.

TrueView's a nice program. Obviously has the best view compatibility. It also has the best printed output. It's unfortunate that it's such a bear to get working on a terminal server, because that means that without a lot of work, I'll be looking for another supplier to fill this gap in my company's requirements.

Found a couple of links that might help getting TV2 going though. They don't translate or deal directly with Trueview but I think the hints might help solve the dilemna.
http://support.citrix.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=36&threadID=63202
http://jtbworld.blogspot.com/2005/11/silent-installation-of-autodesk-dwg.html
Message 8 of 23
ictservices

you see printing is also a function we require so on the outset it sounds nice but in actual fact it s not that good for our situation
Message 9 of 23
Anonymous

Figured it out. What a pain...

Disclaimer/Warning:
-These instructions are for use at your own risk.
-I accept no responsibility for anything that happens to your systems, servers, work, etc.
-If you’re not comfortable tweaking the registry, then don’t do it.

Now that that’s out of the way…

Here are instructions to installing DWG TrueView 2 on Windows 2000 Server.

SYSTEM Configuration

1. Login with an account that has full administrative rights.

2. Install TrueView as normal.
-For simplicity’s sake I’m using C: as the server root drive for these instructions, and N: as the network shared drive.

3. (Optional step)
-Right click the DWG TrueView 2 program icon.
-Select “Enable/Disable Digital Signature Icons”
-Uncheck “Validate Digital Signatures and Display Special Icons”
-Select OK
-Reboot the server. (Yes, REBOOT it. Logging off and on doesn’t seem to make it take effect).

4. Log back in on the adminstrative account

5. Start TrueView, open a .DWG file, and then close the program.

Note: where ever you see %username% from here down substitute the current user’s login id. i.e. JohnD, or Admin1

6. Copy the contents of the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

7. Copy the contents of C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

8. Restart TrueView. Open the existing profile and redirect any paths that tell it to look in C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\ … to corresponding folder on the network share. Apply and save the changes. Exit TrueView

9. Using a registry editor find HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\DWG TrueView\R2. Export the key to N:\Support\_TrueView2\Registry_Fix\TrueView_ChangeName.reg

10. While still in registry editor, navigate to HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\TerminalServer\Install\Software\Autodesk\DWG TrueView\R2. If this key exists, delete it.

USER Configuration

Now’s where it gets a bit funky and becomes a bit of a pain… You’ll have to repeat the following steps for EACH user that needs access to the viewer.

1. Login as the user you want to configure the station for.

Note: Step’s 2 & 3 seem kind of dumb since you’ve got the files on a shared drive, but I kept getting errors until I did them.

2. Copy the contents of the contents of N:\Support\_TrueView2\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 TO C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

3. Copy the contents of N:\Support\_TrueView2\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2 TO C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2

4. Create a copy of N:\Support\_TrueView2\Registry_Fix\TrueView_ChangeName.reg named TrueView_%username%.reg. (i.e. TrueView_JohnD.reg).

5. Open the new TrueView_%username%.reg file and perform a find and replace, substituting the user’s login id (i.e. JohnD) for the administrator’s login id (i.e. Admin1). Save the changes you made.

6. Double click the modified TrueView_%username%.reg file and click Yes when asked if you want to add the information to the registry.

7. Try to open TrueView.

It should be functional now without any error messages.
Message 10 of 23
ictservices

cheers for your devotion to this issue, i shall being trying your suggestion 'haste post haste' and will probably get back to you if we're all good.

Out of interest, do you actually work for the autodesk guys?? Or are you in the IT industry and have found a similar issue??

It's just that i have recieved a blanket response off of someone who appears to be a member of Autodesk staff saying 'we dont do multi-user!' cleverly palming off responsibility by indicating the issue as being one of using the software in a terminal server environment...even though the problem is also apparent in a full client situation when the software is used by more than one user.

cheers for being bothered!!

Rob
Message 11 of 23
Anonymous

No, I don't work for Autodesk but I wouldn't say no if they wante d to talk to me about it. 😉

I've got a background as a Mechanical Designer, but also have a Diploma in Software Development. I usually write apps that sit on top of AutoCAD to speed design processes through automation.

The problem with the TrueView 2 install is doesn't allow you to set a "user default" profile, or to change default pathing to a networked share. It also doesn't complete the install until the first time the user runs the application, at which time it tries to write values to the registry and access files/folders that the user may or may not have "administrative" rights to. So, the install fails to write the files/keys, but the default profile still looks in place it shouldn't be, and you can't change the default profile (manually).

This problem's been ongoing with Autodesk products since they started worrying about getting the "Windows Certified" sticker on their products. That requires them to use the "local settings" and "application data" folder pathing. Which sounds great in theory, but really makes a "company standard" or networked implementation a pain.
Message 12 of 23
ictservices

You must be doing alright with that listed on your CV!!

I noticed that it was doing what you said but not being an out and out programmer, i couldn't find a way of rectifiying it (or even afford the time to think about it).

I initially thought that the issue could be resolved by using indirect name referencing (eg %username%) and creating a shared folder but as you say, the default profile took control at a point that when you redited it as described, it was too late. This meant that it would use what it had put in place anyway!!

As you say very annoying.

Hoping to look at this backend of today (UK time) and will report back as to the results.

(Very) Kind Regards
Rob
Message 13 of 23
PeterMorgan

Mate,

That is some awesome work. I am having the exact same problem with Trueview on our Terminal Server farm an I'd pretty much got to the same place as Rob. I'd tried changing registry entries in various places but nothing would stick.

I'll run through those instructions later on today (also in the UK) adn report back if it solves the problem.

Thanks alot

Pete
Message 14 of 23
PeterMorgan

Ok, i ran through the instruction for myself on one of our Terminal Servers and it appears to have done the trick just fine. Though we keep all our users Documents and Settings files in a different folder on the Terminal Server, with a master copy kept on another server.

Anyway I think it's done it. Time will tell. I'm gonna attempt it with a normal user next.

Thanks again.
Message 15 of 23
rfrey

Hi Dan -

Thanks for your entry on getting TrueView to work in TS environment. I have printed out instructions and will attempt on Citrix Server that is sitting over a 2003 Windows Server. Based on your entry, though, I wanted to see if you had info about importing attributes into AutoCadLT 2006. We use FilemakerPro for a database and we are looking to automate dumping the Job data (company, product size, product type, etc.) into a block with attribute fields. Have any ideas. Any help direction would be appreciated. If you have direction, we are willing to pay for your services. Please advise.
Message 16 of 23
mblewis

OK, so that's where all "that" Doc Settings come from. agree, burying acad, or whatever autodesk product, that deep in a place where Users shouldn't go does make a "standard" install extremely difficult in LAN environment with multipe users.
what a nightmare. have almost given up on "company standard install," but am beginning to see workarounds.

marklewis
Message 17 of 23
waldo120

I just installed DWG True View on a 2003 terminal server and all I had to do was open up the sucurity settings for the local settings and application data folders that the plot styles and other support files reside in (default shown at the end of this message). Don't forget to install stuff for a terminal server through the add/remove programs panel rather then just running it.

Although, logging in remotely now takes quite a while longer, and now I don't have individual plot style and support folders, but it's on the terminal for people who don't know much about AutoCAD anyway. Frankly, i'm glad I don't have to manage 20 of these.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2007
--- and ---
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\DWG TrueView 2007
Message 18 of 23
jay24k

I have a script that I manually wrote about a month ago that addresses this issue. If any are interested, I'd be willing to post it up. You basically need to do the following.

Import registry entries into their hkey user folder.
Copy files to their application data and local settings data.

In the registry entries I have a script that pulls their userid at logon and replaces every entry with the correct. Any user who logons it checks to see if those file exists and then copies if it doesn't.
Message 19 of 23
baileysjim

Re Multi Usage
Jay any chance of posting this script !!
regards
Message 20 of 23
jay24k

At login, I have our script file run this that points to a vbs file so I don't have to do anything. This will also address people logging on multiple machines. This is in the batch file.
if exist "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\DWG TrueView" if not exist "c:\docume~1\%username%\applic~1\autodesk\dwg trueview 2007\r3\enu\support" \\server\share\bat\cadview.vbs

Then the cadview.vbs file I will attach as a text file but you will need to rename it as a vbs or copy and paste. There is a registry file also that has no userid's in it and that will need to be renamed as.reg also. If you wanted to, you can manually run this as well if you have only a few users. We have around 500 so I had to automate it.

Please post any questions you have.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report