DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Embedded Tiff Issue

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
brfox
5911 Views, 12 Replies

Embedded Tiff Issue

Hi,

Our piping group have starting embedding their Tiff files into the DWG files via AutoCad Raster Design 2009.  The issue that we are having is that we are unable to see the embedded file through DWG TrueView but can see the new Cad portion.  I have downloaded & Installed the Raster Design Object Enabler but still no luck.  The strange thing is that when in TrueView and I select File Open I am able to see the Tiff portion in the small preview window but once I select OK and the file opens I only see the true cad portion.

I have installed 10 different Cad viewers and nothing seems to work.

Does anyone know how to fix this. 

Cheers.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
pendean
in reply to: brfox

FYI, Preview is just a raster snapshot stored in the file of what the content looked like when the file was last saved: it is NOT an indication of the state or the content of the file once you open it.

TIFF format may be the issue, as there are several and some AutoCAD versions see more than others: also verify the TIFF files are embedded and not just referenced (if the latter, you need to have those TIFF files located in the same folder as the DWG you are opening).

Message 3 of 13
brfox

Thanks for the reply. 

I am able to see the embedded info through AutoCad but not TrueView so i'm guessing that it isn't the tiff image unless TrueView has issues with some versions of Tiff's that AutoCad does not. 

The Tiff file is embedded into the Autocad file and not referenced.  If I put the Tiff file in the same directory and then reference it within the DWG if works fine.  We are looking to eliminate the need for the extra file altogether.

Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Message 4 of 13
Shawn_Niles

Please upload the DWG and TIF file in question so that we may do some testing. Thank you very much.

Shawn Niles
Message 5 of 13
brfox
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

Attached you will find an example of my issue.  If you open it in AutoCad Raster Design it opens without issue as you are able to see both the AutoCad portion and the Tiff files background as well.  When you open it in TrueView you will only see the AutoCad portion with a blank background.  Again the TIFF File is not an XREF as it is not referenced.  It is actually embedded into the AutoCad drawing using Raster Design 2009.

Thanks for your help.

Message 6 of 13
pendean

>>>...embedded into the AutoCad drawing using Raster Design 2009...<<<

By chance does anyone you know that has AutoCAD (not trueview) and does not have Raster Design or the RD enabler see your image? I can't and I do not have the RD OE installed. Not sure if it will install inTV (or if that is the issue) but it is worth trying:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=15201709&linkID=9240618

Message 7 of 13
Shawn_Niles

I'm not sure if the image is truly embedded. When I go to the XREF manager within your file, it is looking for the image. If it was embedded, then the image would not be listed in the XREF manager. Try using the command INSERTOBJ to insert the image into the file. This will truly embed it instead of linking it, and you should then be able to see it if you open the file in Trueview.

Shawn Niles
Message 8 of 13
brfox

Hi Shawn,

When we use the INSERTOBJ command there is still a TIFF file that is required as a second file (xREF).  I have attached a screenshot of what our File References window looks like with no file path for the reference file. It just says embedded.  Due to this file being embedded we are able to move this single dwg file to any location and still have the complete drawing available.

Message 9 of 13
Shawn_Niles

I'm not sure of the process you are using so that the image still shows up in the XREF box. Please view the attached video to see my steps. You'll see that the image does not show up in XREF manager.

PS - rename the TXT extension to SWF, and use Internet Explorer to open it.

Shawn Niles
Message 10 of 13
kipweb11
in reply to: Shawn_Niles

G'day Shawn,

I agree with the original poster. We too embed the tiff images using Image-Image Embed, so that only one file (dwg) needs to be passed around. This is especially relevant/helpful when using a EDMS. The edms only needs to keep track of one file not two. The EDMS also doesn't need to keep track of the relationship between the two files.

Can Autodesk modify Trueview so that it can view DWG's with imbedded tiff files?

I have attached an example. We can still edit the raster using Raster Design in this example

Regards,

Kevin

Message 11 of 13
kipweb11

G'day all,

Just to answer my previous post. Trueview 2012 is able to view dwg's with embedded rasters

Regards

Kevin

Message 12 of 13
sitereader
in reply to: kipweb11

I know this is a very late reply but it may help. I don't have raster design installed only the object enabler. 

I opened a TIFF file in photoshop and copied it. Then in Autocad (2009 and 2012) I used the INSERTOBJ command and chose the "Create New" -> Paintbrush picture. When the paintbrush program openend paste the copied TIFF file and close the program.  The TIFF image is an embedded OLE object inside your DWG that can also be seen in Trueview 2011.

Message 13 of 13
brfox
in reply to: kipweb11

We do not want to make the TIFF file an OLE object as users will not be able to remove pieces of the object once embedded.  I have downloaded TrueView 2012 and it works great.  We are now able to view the embedded TIFF file  Case closed. 

Thanks to everyone for your help on this one.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report