DWG TrueView
Welcome to Autodesk’s DWG Trueview Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular DWG Trueview topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG TrueView 2013 - Convert DWG to older formats with AEC Object Exploded

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
bakerrl2
42675 Views, 15 Replies

DWG TrueView 2013 - Convert DWG to older formats with AEC Object Exploded

We have started receiving 2013 drawings from clients that have AEC objects in them.  Currently we are using AutoCAD MEP 2010 or 2012.  When I had DWG TrueView 2012 installed on my PC I was able to open a drawing containing AEC objects and save it back to an older format with the AEC objects exploded using the TrueConvert feature.  Since I installed DWG TrueView 2013 I can no longer convert a drawing with the AEC objects exploded to an older drawing format (i.e. 2010).  The format options that would allow you to convert a drawing with the AEC objects exploded no longer show up in the list of available drawing formats.

Is this feature no longer available in DWG TrueView 2013?  Do I need to install Object Enablers to make it work?

I can load a 2010 drawing with AEC Objects in DWG TrueView 2012 and 2013.  In 2012 I have the option of converting the files with AEC objects exploded.  In 2013 I don't have that option.

Note: The test file I am using is a 2010 file containing AEC objects and I was attempting to save it as a 2004 drawing file just for test purposes.  The file I am really trying to convert is an 2013 drawing file.

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
devcrowley
in reply to: bakerrl2

Has a solution been found for this yet?  I'm having the same issue.  Clients are sending us Civil 3D 2013 drawings, and there is no option to explode AEC objects in Trueview 2013.  The object enablers are installed and everything is visible in Trueview, but there is no way to export the drawing properly to an earlier version without an explode option.  Was this feature removed for a reason?

Message 3 of 16
bakerrl2

I haven't heard from anyone yet; however, I believe I have found one solution. Note: The following solution uses AutoCAD MEP 2010. Also, in our case we were trying to save the drawing back to a 2004 format. 1. Launch DWG TrueView 2013. 2. Convert the drawing to the AutoCAD 2010 format. 3. Close DWG TrueView 2013 3. Launch AutoCAD Architecture using one of the profiles installed by AutoCAD MEP 2010. Example: AutoCAD MEP 2010 (US Imperial - Architecture) 4. Select the "A icon" --> Export --> AutoCAD --> 5. At this point you should be able to load the drawing and the AEC objects will be exploded. I noticed that DWG TrueView 2013 converted the AEC objects to a 2007 version when it save the drawing back to a 2010 format. By loading the drawing into AutoCAD Architecture 2010 it allow the AEC objects to be converted to the 2010 format. Then I could export the drawing back to a 2010 format or earlier and the AEC objects would be exploded. RICHARD L. BAKER II Svc Info Developer III ES Apps Development US HP Enterprise Services Telephone +1 913.458.2217 Email richard.baker-ii@hp.com [Description: HP_S_K_RGB_150_SM]
Message 4 of 16
devcrowley

Thanks for the tip.  Unfortunately we're trying to convert down to Civil 3D 2009 from 2013.  I don't have architecture nor MEP available to me.  At this time I'm just assuming that Trueview 2013 no longer has the option to explode AEC objects, which is a huge problem for us.

Your solution may help out others, though.  It seems crazy that so much has to be done for such a simple need.

Message 5 of 16
bakerrl2
in reply to: devcrowley

I currently have AutoCAD Civil 3D 2012 installed on my PC as well. I checked the software and it has the ability to export information to older AutoCAD file formats just like AutoCAD Architecture. If you can't convert or export the file yourself, perhaps you could contact the person sending you the drawings and have them export them before they send them to you.
Message 6 of 16
pendean

The TIP above you simply knocked the file down to a version they can open, then they used full AutoCAD to remove/ explode AEC content. Can you not do the same? If not, post in the CIVIL 3D forum and seek ehlp from your peers, the viewer may not be an option in your case.

Also try this: Create an R14 Conversion setup in the Viewer, uncheck MAINTAIN Visual Fidelity option, and try it.

Message 7 of 16
bakerrl2
in reply to: pendean

That reminds. Originally we were trying to convert the 2013 drawing to a 2004 format. When we used DWG TrueView 2013 to convert the file it saved the AEC objects as a 2007 version whether we converted the drawing to a 2004 or 2010 format. As long as you have a version of AutoCAD Software (Architecture, MEP, Civil 3D) that is a 2007 version or higher you should be able to load the drawing and the objects should convert to the current version.
Message 8 of 16
devcrowley

I can save down to a 2007 drawing just fine, but the AEC objects come in as proxy entities when opened with Civil 3D 2009.  Trueview 2012 has the option to explode all AEC objects while exporting, whereas Trueview 2013 does not have that option.  This is the option we need to get back.

Exporting to an R14 version of the drawing from Trueview 2013 doesn't fix it.  They still come in as proxy entities.

Thanks for the help so far!

Message 9 of 16
bakerrl2

I encountered that same situation myself. If I tried to load the drawing in standard AutoCAD 2010 even with the appropriate 2010 object enablers loaded I got proxy messages because the AEC Objects were a 2007 version. However, when I loaded the drawing in AutoCAD Architecture 2010 I didn't get the proxy messages. Something about loading the drawing using the Architecture profile allow it to convert the AEC 2007 objects to AEC 2010 objects. Once that was done, I could then export the drawing to a 2004 format and the AEC objects were exploded. At this point, it appears that the only simple way to convert the drawings is to loaded them using the version of the software they were created with and export them to an older format. DWG TrueView only seems to be able to handle standard AutoCAD entities.
Message 10 of 16
pendean

Browsing through the Civil forum seems to indicate you must load Civil "as AutoCAD" in order to gain export abilities that eliminate AEC content.

Your other choice is to ask the file originator to do it for you. I guess you could also upgrade to any 2013 version of AutoCAD that has a Civil OE and do the export yourself.

Message 11 of 16
devcrowley

I don't see any way to open a drawing in Trueview in any special way, so I'm assuming that only works for Autocad itself.  We don't have access to Autocad 2013 (yet) -- only Trueview 2013, so it looks like I'm just out of luck.

I don't like to ask our clients to send saved down versions of drawings as it reflects poorly on us.  However, it doesn't look like I have any other option.

Message 12 of 16
pendean

You can always download the trial and use it for 30-days... .

Message 13 of 16
Mike.Whitfield

Nice to see Autodesk is expanding its policy of every version working better than the next to TrueView.  Oh wait, that's the opposite of nice . . .

So is Autodesk coming out with some stand-alone pay product to explode the AEC objects, or a super premium package combining all Autodesk programs, or what?  There must be some scheme to squeeze out some more cash; surely Autodesk didn't just break TrueView by accidental negligence.  Downloading each vertical application's trial version can't possibly be the official solution here.  

As MEP consultants we get drawings from a variety of architects and civil engineers using a variety of applications, most Autodesk, many of which have embedded AEC objects.  Right now my only solutions to a 2013 format file with AEC objects are to ask the sender to strip them out and resend, to purchase all AutoCad vertical applications (calm down, not gonna happen), or to save down with TrueView 2013 on one computer, then strip out the AEC objects on a different computer with an older version of TrueView.  Gotta be a better way.  Can anyone recommend a non-Autodesk product to handle this?

Message 14 of 16
pendean
in reply to: Mike.Whitfield

"... ask the sender to strip them out and resend..."

IMHO, this is the best option as the file creator, not you the recipient, is allowed to review the file for content accuracy (as in nothing disappeared) before sending it on. Verticals remain an issue, the best way to deal with AEC content is in the program that created them, everywhere else and anything else remains half-baked since this all became a reality back in R2002-R2004.

"...So is Autodesk coming out with..."

"...be the official solution here..."

Yeah, a whole suite fo them, called 2013 versions of AutoCAD. Did I really need to point it out? 🙂

Message 15 of 16
randyspear6624

We still need a solution to this for 2014. It's usually the same situation as the others but occasionally it's MY file and the dwg is just to large to run the export command from inside C3D. The other problem is that some of our users will get newer versions before others (this is dictated by client standards) so to prevent people using older versions to constantly be bugging the users with newer versions, I've always told them to use trueview to do it themselves. (teach a man to fish...)

The bottom line is the functionality was there and now it's not. IMO, this is just another tactic to force people to upgrade sooner.

Message 16 of 16
pendean

There are two free batch-processing tools at the Autidesk Exchange Apps website that can be used to to help convert batches of files in the background or foreground in C3D if you need a solution now.

There is no cure for DTV2013 or DTV2014 and if there will be a DTV2015 it's a couple of months away I presume, assuming it will reverse the limitation.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report